+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Avatar

Re: Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;3779006;
    I went to see It's Complicated and asked about the pricing for Avatar. Currently in Northern Virginia adult ticket prices are $11.50 and children ticket prices are $8.50. The 3D companies want an additional $4.00 for the 3D effects. So you can see regular Avatar for $11.50/$8.50 or 3D Avatar for $14.50/$12.50. At the theater I went to they also have Director Halls with wider more comfortable seats that cost an extra 2 bucks a ticket, so I can see if 3D Avatar is shown in the more comfortable theater the price would be $16.50/$14.50. IMAX I am sure is even more expensive.

I got my info from the ushers at the Fairfax Corners movie theater. To me 3D is just a huge gimmick and I am not willing to pay a separate party 4 extra dollars to see a rock being thrown into the screen.
    Ooops, can't add, that should be $15.50 and $17.50.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;3779010;
    The only place more expensive then the DC metro area would be LA or New York City and even then unless this is IMAX this is very expensive.
    I'm quoting the LA price in my post.
    And it's for 3D - I have no idea what the price is for Imax.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

My $9.75 was worth it, but nearly twice that? Not so much. Does Avatar require different 3D equipment for projection than the other 3D movies this year? I don't remember Up! or Monsters vs. Aliens costing any more than a regular ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl;3779273;
    My $9.75 was worth it, but nearly twice that? Not so much. Does Avatar require different 3D equipment for projection than the other 3D movies this year? I don't remember Up! or Monsters vs. Aliens costing any more than a regular ticket.
    I believe Mr. Cameron is trying to recoup all the $$ he paid to make this movie. :nono:nono:nono
    $18.50 for a movie seems totally ludicrous to me.

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3778497;
    To all who've seen it thus far:
    They are charging $18.50 to see it here.
    Is it worth it?
    Wow, is that for each ticket? Maybe you could hit a matinée showing and it'd be cheaper, like Sat. or Sun. morning??

We've seen it twice in the 3D (not the Imax) and if we had time, we'd go see it a 3rd time. But I'd also call us sci-fi/fantasy geeks (love LOTR and Star Wars and all that) so this was right up our ally. It really, really is incredible in 3D.

Yeah, they all cost more to see them in 3D. But I wouldn't put Avatar in the same category as Up or the other cartoons that came out. There's a lot more than just rocks coming out of the screen. You're immersed in an entire world! We've seen all the 3D movies that've come out and they don't hold a candle to Avatar, IMO.

Sorry, don't mean to come on strong. I just equate it to my parents seeing Star Wars in the theaters for the first time. Watching it at home when the video comes out won't be quite the same...
    Last edited by cantstopwatchin; 12-29-2009 at 04:02 PM.
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

My daughter and I just saw it in 3-D at the matinee for $7 each (small town). It's amazing! I'm surprised there's not a lot more gushing going on about this movie. Pay the extra for 3-D - it was just incredible.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3779394;
    My daughter and I just saw it in 3-D at the matinee for $7 each (small town). It's amazing! I'm surprised there's not a lot more gushing going on about this movie. Pay the extra for 3-D - it was just incredible.
    Would you pay $18.50 to see it?

The ushers I talked to said that the movie companies were charging the same price for Avatar as for other films. It was the 3D companies that wanted the $4.00 extra. I would think that the 3D companies had already been paid by the producers or that they have something written into their contracts that allow then to charge extra.

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3779485;
    Wait till later in the month I am sure the price will come down. They are just trying to get as much as they can while all the kids are off for the Christmas and New Year Holidays.

I still think $18.50 is outrageous. Considering I have heard word of mouth that people love or hate the movie. Everyone seems to say that the effects are incredible and that the planet Pandora is fabulous, but as far as the plot...so so. I guess that does pi$$ me off a bit. If James Cameron is going to put so much effort into the film then have a good story. It is very much in the Start Wars making of films. Have great special effects and a crap story and the multitudes will come. I personally feel it is cheating the public. We all work hard for our money and should get value for every dollar.

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3779485;
    I only go to matinees - normally $5/movie. I'm guessing the extra $$ is to cover any damage to the 3-D glasses. I haven't been to any 3-D movies since the glasses were little cardboard numbers. These were like actual glasses and must cost somebody for the initial investment plus attrition.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread