Thread: Avatar

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Re: Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;3802148;
    All the wives:

Suzy Amis (4 June 2000 - present) 3 children
    Linda Hamilton (26 July 1997 - 1999) (divorced) 1 child
    Kathryn Bigelow (17 August 1989 - 1991) (divorced)
    Gale Anne Hurd (1985 - 1989) (divorced)
    Sharon Williams (14 February 1978 - 1984) (divorced)
    Notice how short most of those marriages are? Some of those wives must have filed for divorce as soon as they got back from the honeymoon. Maybe he has a prenup with the last wife that requires a 10 year commitment...in which case, come this summer...

I saw it last night, 3D and IMAX, still quite expensive even with the senior rate. And then enough popcorn and soda to last 3 hours... once you add in the time for the commercials (some of which were also in 3D ) ...

So my take, definitely a big screen movie... like Titantic...sure, you can see it on TV, but it won't be at all the same experience. The plot is basically Dances with Wolves plus a coming of age story (and bits of Stranger in a Strange Land thrown in---I expect "I see you" to replace "grok"), but with a better outcome for the original inhabitants, and without being as immersed in the world that would probably bother you more. I think some of the scenes...e.g., when the hero first rides one of the flying dragon things for example...would be really much more effective in 3D than in 2. On the other hand the 3 D also makes the battle and destruction scenes much more powerful. In the Star Wars Death Star battle for example I can easily set my mind to "it's a video game" mentality...not as easy with this film. I agree with ClosetTVW that there isn't much gore, but that the ruthlessness, on both sides in the end, is a very strong effect.

As to taking kids...there were a few there when I went to a 730 Sat show, but to my amazement most of the audience was adults...white haired adults even. The little girl next to me, who looked to be about 8 was completely quiet. Now she may have fallen asleep, I didn't check and it's hard to see with those glasses on, but she sure wasn't squirming...or crying. I can see that the tree destruction and final battle would be a bit much for little kids especially given the 3 D thing...and I sympathize with the people who are depressed that we nasty humans are never going to have a Na'vi type world where we are all interconnected (but to be fair we don't have tendrils in our hair that let us literally connect to the rest of the world!)...and that view of humans might be hard on young kids as well.

And for those of you waiting for things to thin out... Friday I went at 6 to buy a ticket for the 730 show... sold out...I was a half hour too late. So I got one for Sat. Arrived at 7 "to get a good seat" and was met by a line of more than 100 people who already had tickets and were waiting to be let into the theater. Wound up sitting in the very top row somewhat to the side (but the 3 D was ok anyway). Absolutely packed. So you'll have to wait a bit longer. I thought it would be pretty empty except for some fanboys on their 10th viewing... ha!

And finally a question... I was sure those hair tendrils were going to be used in mating...his and her ponytails join up...but I didn't see that...just some very PG kissing. Did I miss it?
    Last edited by PWS; 01-24-2010 at 03:48 PM.

At this point the weekends are still going to be packed, I went Tuesday at 3:30pm when the kids where still in school. I had great stadium seats in a huge 400+ seat theater and had a couple in front of me, a couple behind me and a mom with two kids on the side.

I would not be surprised id Avatar will still be running in the big theaters come March.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;3806373;
    And finally a question... I was sure those hair tendrils were going to be used in mating...his and her ponytails join up...but I didn't see that...just some very PG kissing. Did I miss it?
    It will be available for viewing in the cut scenes on the DVD along with a lot of other footage.
    Count your blessings!

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3806926;
    It will be available for viewing in the cut scenes on the DVD along with a lot of other footage.
    Ah ha! So it was considered not PG 13 enough to include, do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;3806703;
    At this point the weekends are still going to be packed, I went Tuesday at 3:30pm when the kids where still in school. I had great stadium seats in a huge 400+ seat theater and had a couple in front of me, a couple behind me and a mom with two kids on the side.

I would not be surprised id Avatar will still be running in the big theaters come March.
    A friend of mine and I went this Saturday. We figured that it would still be busy but not sold out by this point. WRONG. We got there an hour early and that showing was sold out, but also the next one 3.5 hours later was, too. So we bought tickets for Sunday. Yesterday we got to the theater 35-40 minutes before showtime and there were already 70-80 people in line ahead of us. Goodness!
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

I thought the 3-D effect worked better about half-way back than all the way in the back. I wonder what it would be like from right up front. Has anyone done that?
    Count your blessings!

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3807123;
    I thought the 3-D effect worked better about half-way back than all the way in the back. I wonder what it would be like from right up front. Has anyone done that?
    We have stadium seating as well and sat in the last row of the front section both times we saw it. I'm not sure what to compare it to since we always sit there, but I thought the effects were awesome and felt fully immersed.
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3807123;
    I was fairly up front (the first row up from the main aisle) and to me it wasn't anything special. It enhanced the movie, but it really wasn't anything that wowed me.

FORT Fogey

so is 3d the imax version?
    do they give you glasses when you see it in 2d? do you keep the glasses afterward

Both versions are 3D, jacobson although I believe the IMAX has a different type. And no, you don't get to keep the glasses. You wouldn't WANT to keep them.

+ Reply to Thread