+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Princess and The Frog

The Princess and The Frog

I saw a midnight showing, and I thought it was excellent! It definitely lived up to all the positive hype I've heard about it. I loved the music too, but I already knew I would since I got the soundtrack when it came out last month.

Re: The Princess and The Frog

Yay! I'm glad to hear it was enjoyable. I'm planning to take my 5yo daughter when I am on vacation around Christmas.

I have heard really good reviews but I also heard some not so good reviews. The not-so-good reviews were from religious friends who were upset about the voo-doo and magic in the movie. Thoughts on that?

Quote Originally Posted by liz_momof2;3767528;
    I have heard really good reviews but I also heard some not so good reviews. The not-so-good reviews were from religious friends who were upset about the voo-doo and magic in the movie. Thoughts on that?
    Then your friends should not go to see movies, watch TV, listen to radio, or read books because they will always find something that does not agree with their religious beliefs and therefore will be offensive to them.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Lol, Bearcata you made me laugh because that's so true!

I mean, come on, it's Disney! There's magic and all that stuff in most of their animated movies!----Cinderella has a fairy godmother, The Lion King references Hitler and the Nazis during Be Prepared, Hercules shows polytheism in action, Alice in Wonderland has all those suggestive drug references, the Hunchback of Notre Dame with all the religious iconography and racial bigotry being a major theme in the movie, etc.

There's nothing wrong with the movie. Of course things are always skewed to fit the plot of the movie---I mean who really thinks that Voodoo really is how it's portrayed in the film?

Quote Originally Posted by Ionan;3767646;
    I mean, come on, it's Disney! There's magic and all that stuff in most of their animated movies!----Cinderella has a fairy godmother, The Lion King references Hitler and the Nazis during Be Prepared, Hercules shows polytheism in action, Alice in Wonderland has all those suggestive drug references, the Hunchback of Notre Dame with all the religious iconography and racial bigotry being a major theme in the movie, etc.
    I have always thought Hercules was an odd choice for Disney given that Hercules was the result of Zeus' adulterous relations with a human woman. Of course the Disney movie glosses right over that fact and generally gives kids the impression that Hera was simply his adoring mother. Those kids may eventually be in for a rude awakening if they study the story in high school!

Thanks everyone! That's what I was thinking as well. I figured they were blowing it out of proportion since they tend to do that. They won't let their children (8 to 11 years old) watch the Disney Channel at all because shows like Wizards of Waverly Place (wizards, magic, vampires) and Hannah Montana (suggestive clothing/behaviors.) Personally, I think it allows for discussion with children on things I may not want them to actually participate in.

Next question, I am planning on taking my daughter, since she adores all things fairytale and "girly" but not sure if my son (he's 6) will be into it. nyone taken a boy to the movie and they have enjoyed it? He tends to prefer superheroes and action cartoons/movies to "girly" stuff.

Your boy might enjoy the villain, Dr. Facilier. He's definitely more of a dark character who definitely isn't girly. But he's not too dark to the point where he becomes scary IMO. There's also Louis, the trumpet-playing alligator. He's the comic relief of the film. Your boy might like him also.

I really liked the movie. I'm a little disappointed with its initial box office opening, but I'm hoping that it'll be like The Blind Side and slowly raise people's interest into seeing it.

The ending when
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Ray died and appeared by Evangeline
    gave me goosebumps. I thought it was so sweet.

ETA: I take that back, about Louis being the comic relief. He provides some laughs, but the comic relief is definitely Charlotte. She's Tiana's rich friend who's in love with Naveen. Her character is hilarious.
    Last edited by CrossingGuard; 12-14-2009 at 01:32 AM.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

FORT Fogey

I went to see it with some girlfriends, and the place was sold out! So many little girls were there wearing tiaras We really enjoyed it, as did the rest of the audience. They were even cheering! I highly recommend it; there's something for everyone in this film.

Quote Originally Posted by liz_momof2;3768104;
    Thanks everyone! That's what I was thinking as well. I figured they were blowing it out of proportion since they tend to do that. They won't let their children (8 to 11 years old) watch the Disney Channel at all because shows like Wizards of Waverly Place (wizards, magic, vampires) and Hannah Montana (suggestive clothing/behaviors.) Personally, I think it allows for discussion with children on things I may not want them to actually participate in.

Next question, I am planning on taking my daughter, since she adores all things fairytale and "girly" but not sure if my son (he's 6) will be into it. nyone taken a boy to the movie and they have enjoyed it? He tends to prefer superheroes and action cartoons/movies to "girly" stuff.
    I know parents like that, garanteed that when their kids go away to college within the first week, they will have gotten drunk, gotten high and lost their virginity. When kids are so tightly guarded they tend to go to extremes when they can sometimes with disasterous results...ah images of cars wrapped around trees with multiple bodies dead and dying right before high school graduation.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast