+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Princess and The Frog

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Re: The Princess and The Frog

And of course they don't do Hallowe'en...witches and goblins...or Christmas with Santa... Sigh. I mean there are plenty of good reasons to critique Disney movie role models (those necrophiliac "prize" princes for example, who seem to prefer their ladies at the least comatose; the perpetually horrible step moms in a society full of blended famiies; the Barbie like figures of many of the heroines, etc. etc.), but the use of magic? Obviously those parents don't read fairy tales or Oz books to their kids.

So I gather that when the princess kisses the frog she turns into one? Does she spend most of the movie in that state or is that just a passing stage?

FORT Fogey

I found this report about the film at PBS Newshour--I think it presents some interesting facts about Disney and its approach to this film.

NewsHour Extra: With a Black Princess, Disney Hopes to Revive Box Office Magic | December 15, 2009 | PBS

Okay just updating...we went to see this last night and both my kids loved it! DS loved Louis (heck I LOVED Louis) but I think Charlotte and the bayou witch were my favorite supporting characters! Probably right up there with the characters from Beauty and the Beast (which is my all time favorite Disney movie.) My daughter loved Tiana. I love how it had a very different feel from any of the other Disney movies. WE will be buying it when it's out on video!

i saw this today and thought it was so cute! i really liked it, will definitely be getting it on dvd

disney is finally back! no offense to pixar but i never enjoyed pixar like i did animation, when was the last time they did an animated film? the emperor's new groove? that seems like forever ago

while the music was good, it wasn't up there with lion king or the little mermaid, but i did enjoy it, and i really liked ne-yo's song lol

The Lion King and The Little Mermaid were definitely high points for Disney. That was during the "Disney Renaissance" time. I caught the tail end of that time; I remember Mulan and Tarzan being a very big deal, making a lot of money for Disney. Then when the new millennium hit, and Disney seemed to suffer a downspiral. There were a few successes, but there were big failures like Treasure Planet (which I liked, personally) and Home on the Range.

Home on the Range was actually the last 2D film Disney did before they stated that they would only do computer films from now on. Thankfully, they changed their mind with The Princess and the Frog. While it hasn't made as much money as the Disney Renaissance movies (but it's almost at $100 million domestically so that's still a feat), I thought it was still very good IMO. It went back to the good Disney we all know and love.
    Last edited by CrossingGuard; 01-11-2010 at 12:07 AM.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

What I really loved about this movie, besides the awesome music was the message it sends. Tianna didn't need a Prince or a fairy god Mother to "rescue" her. She is a fantastic role model who teaches us that hard work will be rewarded. Although she did have to learn that you don't always have to be so serious.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Not to get too analytical...but it's the black princess who can get by w/o a man, etc.? I like the message, just bad timing that that's who's delivering it...

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;3806377;
    Not to get too analytical...but it's the black princess who can get by w/o a man, etc.? I like the message, just bad timing that that's who's delivering it...
    I think it's a great message - period. IMO, the ethnicity of the princess delivering it doesn't matter. I also don't think she is the first strong female character Disney has created. Mulan and Pocahontas were both respectable female leads (albeit not technically princesses).

They have created a cookbook for kids with recipes that could have been served at Tiana's restaurant. It does look like most require parent assistance, but that is no biggie for me. Our copy is supposed to get delivered this week and I can't wait to cook up something with my daughter this weekend!!
    Amazon.com: The Princess and the Frog: Tiana's Cookbook: Recipes for Kids

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;3808936;
    I think it's a great message - period. IMO, the ethnicity of the princess delivering it doesn't matter. I also don't think she is the first strong female character Disney has created. Mulan and Pocahontas were both respectable female leads (albeit not technically princesses).

They have created a cookbook for kids with recipes that could have been served at Tiana's restaurant. It does look like most require parent assistance, but that is no biggie for me. Our copy is supposed to get delivered this week and I can't wait to cook up something with my daughter this weekend!!
    Amazon.com: The Princess and the Frog: Tiana's Cookbook: Recipes for Kids
    Now that's a great tie in!

Just wanted to bring this up:

In a recent issue, EW included The Princess and the Frog on its short list of disappointing movies at the box office, stating that it was expected to make so much more.

Well so far, the movie has made $99 million domestically, and it's still inching forward a little bit as time passes by. That's not bad by any means; it was just that expectations were so high, with it being the first 2D movie Disney has made in a while. But as of now, the movie has made more than Hercules has and is right below Mulan. Admittedly, it hasn't made as much internationally as both movies, and ticket prices were lower back then. But still, I don't think $100 million is bad, especially with disappointments such as Treasure Planet and Home on the Range.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12