+ Reply to Thread

Thread: It's Complicated

It's Complicated

Starring Meryl Streep, Alec Baldwin and Steve Martin:
    Jane is the mother of three grown kids, owns a thriving Santa Barbara bakery/restaurant and has - after a decade of divorce - an amicable relationship with her ex-husband, attorney Jake. But when Jane and Jake find themselves out of town for their son's college graduation, things start to get complicated. An innocent meal together turns into the unimaginable - an affair. With Jake remarried to the much younger Agness, Jane is now, of all things, the other woman. Caught in the middle of their renewed romance is Adam, an architect hired to remodel Jane's kitchen. Healing from a divorce of his own, Adam starts to fall for Jane, but soon realizes he's become part of a love triangle. Should Jane and Jake move on with their lives, or is love truly lovelier the second time around? It's--complicated.
    It's Complicated (2009) - Movie Details - Yahoo! Movies

I went to a screening of this tonight and loved it! I worship in Meryl's Streep's general direction, so I generally love her in anything, but she was fantastic in this one. Much better than Something's Gotta Give (same director/writer/producer, Nancy Meyers), mainly because Alec Baldwin is much more appealing than Jack Nicholson, imo. Plus, I thought the story was more well-plotted.

Meryl Streep was radiant! Her skin is just incredible. She glows. She's just gorgeous and sexy in the movie and you totally get why these two men are smitten with her. Steve Martin is adorable and charming as a really nice guy...sometimes a thankless role. Alec Baldwin was sexy and ridiculous at the same time. He has one of the best physical gags in the movie. The big surprise for me was John Krasinski as the fiance of the oldest son of Meryl and Alec's characters. He was hilarious and came close to stealing many of the scenes he was in. I love John, but he was really good in a role that could have just blended into the background. He's on a role this year: first Away We Go and now this movie. Yay!

You could totally tell the same people scored this movie as The Holiday. It took me a few minutes to figure out why the music was so familiar - same music or at least the same feel.

All in all, definitely . Maybe 4 out of 5.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Re: It's Complicated

I am looking forward to seeing this film, so I'm glad to see a good review. The scene in the previews with Alec saying "O..M..G.." cracks me up every time!!

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;3766515;
    I am looking forward to seeing this film, so I'm glad to see a good review. The scene in the previews with Alec saying "O..M..G.." cracks me up every time!!
    Me too! Normally, I hate it when people say "OMG," but it's hilarious coming from him! I also loved when he's sitting on the couch with the kids and mouths "I'm so happy!" to her.

Entertainment Weekly gave it a "B-," which seems a bit harsh. The reviewer kept fixating on Meryl's character's home and how perfect it was. Was it the best movie ever? No. But the audience laughed throughout, so much so that I'm going to go see it again in a few weeks so I can see the stuff I missed!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

My sister totally dragged me to go see this with her, as I had no desire too!

By the end, I was thankful she made me go see it, as I throughly enjoyed it! I loved how the previews totally didn't give away any of the funny parts, but I mean, there are so many!

It was absolutely hilarious!
    Keep your feet on the ground, when your heads in the clouds!

I went with a friend yesterday and LOVED it. Just the light, funny escape I needed. The characters were great. Meryl Streep allowing her age to show, but stunning anyway. Steve Martin hysterical in the party scene. Alec Baldwin charming and disgusting at the same time. John Krasinski in the pajama pants - I'm not giving anything away, but I laughed more in this movie than I remember laughing at any movie. As for the incredible kitchen and home - I leaned to my friend and asked, "Remind me why I'm not rich." I couldn't understand why she needed an addition, but whatever. Minor point. Just delightful movie.
    Count your blessings!

I am not a big Meryl Streep fan and normally don't go to movies based solely if she is in them. I must admit I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. I would give it an A. Clever, lighthearted, fun. and poignant. I like how they touched on that divorce is hard for both spouses and the children. I also like how they show that adults in their 50's can be both fun and sexy and sensual and sexual beings. No bad language, no graphic sex scenes. Laughed from the being to the end of the film.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Never too old to Twinkle! AZChristian's Avatar

Hubby and I (and the 100+ similarly aged people in the theater with us) loved it. Laughed and laughed. We give it an "A"!!!!

+ Reply to Thread