+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Precious

FORT Fogey

Precious

anyone seen it. There are a lot of Oscar buzz about it.

Re: Precious

I'm looking foreward to it. Though, I get the feeling it'll be one of those uncomfortable movies that sticks with you for a long time. I know nothing about the book, so I am holding out hope for an upper of an ending.

ETA: Never mind. I just read a lot of spoilers online and I think this movie might be too dark and unsettling for me.
    Last edited by ClosetNerd; 11-11-2009 at 12:08 PM.
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

I am looking forward to seeing this movie!

I saw the star on Letterman and she said that it would leave the viewer "feeling good about their own life". I wasn't sure if I should take that - is it uplifting or will you feel better about your life because the characters in the film just have it so bad!? I did enjoy the interview though, the actress came of as very "real" - like she hadn't yet been jaded by the Hollywood PR machine!!

FORT Fogey

she hadn't yet been jaded by the Hollywood PR machine!!
    give it time.

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;3748022;
    I am looking forward to seeing this movie!

I saw the star on Letterman and she said that it would leave the viewer "feeling good about their own life". I wasn't sure if I should take that - is it uplifting or will you feel better about your life because the characters in the film just have it so bad!? I did enjoy the interview though, the actress came of as very "real" - like she hadn't yet been jaded by the Hollywood PR machine!!
    From what I have read, it is this choice. Which never ever works for me. When I see people less fortunate than me, I never feel better about my own life. I only feel terrible for them which fuels my own struggles with depression.
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetNerd;3748075;
    From what I have read, it is this choice. Which never ever works for me. When I see people less fortunate than me, I never feel better about my own life. I only feel terrible for them which fuels my own struggles with depression.
    I have to agree. Especially when it is a scenario that is quite plausible. But for me, I end up feeling pessimistic about whether our society will ever be able to do something to really help lift people up out of these situations. Currently the people who are able to break free are few and far between.

...but I'm still going to watch...

I think everyone knows him/herself well enough to know whether this will appeal or not. I totally understood the reluctance.
    From what I've seen of the previews so far, it does look very uplifting and I love movies lie that.
    So, though I do agree that we've got a long way to go, I would still like very much to see it. And, I'd love to see M'onique in a straight dramatic role.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

I'm no Mariah Carey fan, but from what I have seen so far I think she may actually do a decent job in this film!

Kao

The book is...pretty intense to put it mildly. It's a story that needs to be told; it's just sad that it's the only story that seems to be told by Hollywood.

I'm cautiously optimistic.

I can't image the film being as graphic as the book. I do believe they will try and come as close as possible, but the book is quite disturbing. I think many will find the film jarring. Think "Bastard out of Carolina" and how uncomfortable that film was to take in at times (I have never read that book however). Now multiply that by 10 and you have "Push". I will see it, but mainly because I'd like to know how it measures up to the novel. I'm sure they must water it down just a bit.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast