+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Precious

Re: Precious

I am definitely going to see it, from everything that I have read about the movie it is one that has deserving Oscar buzz, although I doubt it's going to be easy to watch.
    "Congratulations, you just peaked. It's all downhill from here, honey"-Noah from TDI
    "If you're one of the 46 uninsured Americans..."-Billy Mays

Just caught the movie. It was what I thought it would be. Everyone did a great job. Of course just as is the case with most book to movie fare some of the things that flesh out the characters are left on the chopping block but for the most part it was true to the story it came from. Not a feel good movie in the conventional sense, so the "leaves you feeling better about your life" part is certainly because the life of the character is such a crap factory. Like most of you that doesn't do it for me in the "feel good watching this movie" dept.

Bopping to my own beat! realityluver's Avatar

I just finished the book and was horrified page after page... I want to see this movie, but I don't know if I'll get through it without being a blubbering mess.
    Phenomenal woman... that's me!!!

I'm really disappointed. Looks like I'll have to wait until this comes out on DVD. I keep checking the website, but so far it doesn't look like it's going to hit Madison. I'm kinda surprised.
    "With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."
    Desiderata

"I lost my dignity on a slippery wiener."

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Katydyd;3768792;
    I'm really disappointed. Looks like I'll have to wait until this comes out on DVD. I keep checking the website, but so far it doesn't look like it's going to hit Madison. I'm kinda surprised.
    Really? Madison WI? A major college town...that's hard to believe...

I am surprise it is not showing in an art house cinema, that would be the perfect venue.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I haven't read the book but I saw the movie and it's heartbreaking to be sure. The main players; Monique, Gabby and the teacher were fantastic, I dont think I'll ever be able to look at Monique the same way again. I don't think I could make it through the book, I was a blubbering mess with a nauseous stomach through the movie.
    The movie did make me feel
    Click to see Spoiler:
    good by the end because she persevered, she PUSHed back and she actually broke the circle of abuse

IMO the Oscar buzz is well deserved. More than The Reader IMO
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

I saw this a few weeks ago. I was a little shocked to see that it was playing here in San Jose since it's kinda seen as the unknown big city. The 10th most populated city, and yet it's not as well-known as San Diego or San Francisco.

Anyway, the movie made me feel so uncomfortable, but in a good way. I know that sounds weird, but if a movie is able to make me feel that way, then that shows that the movie actually felt real and believeabe.

I hated seeing Precious get abused by Mary, her mother, like she did. But then I loved seeing the relationship between Blu, her teacher, and her form. I don't want to go on, since I fear that I'll spoil the movie for everyone who hasn't watched it.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;3769389;
    Really? Madison WI? A major college town...that's hard to believe...
    That's what I thought! I could drive into Milwaukee, but....I'll wait for the DVD. That way I can cry at home Merry Christmas all! We're off to see Sherlock Holmes shortly.
    "With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."
    Desiderata

"I lost my dignity on a slippery wiener."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12