+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need help with finding movie? Ask here.

Re: Need help with finding movie? Ask here.

Quote Originally Posted by Melitta;3815341;
    Yes, I am doing a Google search and other than NetFlix, most are saying they are free, but not really legal. LOL. I would prefer to use a site that isn't going to get me in trouble. However, NetFlix seems a little pricey. Just wondering if there are any "choices" out there. I think I saw where someone said Amazon had downloads, but I am not finding it.
    I don't know if I'd call Netflix "pricey." I pay $16.99/month, which lets me have 3 movies at a time and I can watch unlimited movies on their site. Not every movie is available online, but there are a lot of them. You can always do the free trial with them and see if it's worth it for you. I was paying $17.99/month for just HBO, so I think Netflix is a pretty good deal. I canceled all my movie channels because I can get it all at Netflix for less.

Hulu has some movies, but not very many and most of them are pretty bad.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3815736;
    I don't know if I'd call Netflix "pricey." I pay $16.99/month, which lets me have 3 movies at a time and I can watch unlimited movies on their site.
    I agree. Considering I can watch movies as fast as I want and get to watch streaming movies for free and I never pay late fees, I think Netflix is a great deal!!

I also agree that there are places you can download for free, but they are not legal and many of them are sketchy and you would be running the risk of malware and/or virus infections.

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;3815740;
    I also agree that there are places you can download for free, but they are not legal and many of them are sketchy and you would be running the risk of malware and/or virus infections.
    I'm pretty sure that's what killed my laptop. There are several that used to be malware-free that are now full of it. My AVG would sound the big alarm any time I went near them. Downloading on one of those sites is never legal, but I think watching them streaming is okay.....at least that's what I've been led to believe. You just can't have the files on your own computer. Of course, because the sites themselves break the law, we don't allow links here.

I'm pretty good about watching the movies and sending them right back and I watch a few online every week, so I get my money's worth out of Netflix. I have a friend who signed up for it in August or September and has the same three movies.....and she's never watched them! I told her to cancel the d@mn Netflix - she could have bought the DVDs several times over by now.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Another nice thing about Netflix is that if you have certain Blueray players or Tivo, you can stream it to your actual television instead of watching it on your computer screen. I think Blockbuster does something similar.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3815736;
    I don't know if I'd call Netflix "pricey." I pay $16.99/month, which lets me have 3 movies at a time and I can watch unlimited movies on their site. Not every movie is available online, but there are a lot of them. You can always do the free trial with them and see if it's worth it for you. I was paying $17.99/month for just HBO, so I think Netflix is a pretty good deal. I canceled all my movie channels because I can get it all at Netflix for less.

Hulu has some movies, but not very many and most of them are pretty bad.
    OK, call me a little SLOW. I never thought about using NetFlix like that. DUH! I don't know if I could cancel my outrageously expensive bill to DirecTv (contract obligations), but I am definately going to keep that in mind when my contract expires! I pay for all the movie channels...HBO, Cinemax, Starz and ShowTime. The only reason we pay for all of them is because we want to see the "newer" movies. Well, I would have to keep HBO since it has True Blood. LOL.
    Play by the rules, you will miss all the fun!
    Toby Keith, Jacky Don Tucker

Quote Originally Posted by Melitta;3817101;
    OK, call me a little SLOW. I never thought about using NetFlix like that. DUH! I don't know if I could cancel my outrageously expensive bill to DirecTv (contract obligations), but I am definately going to keep that in mind when my contract expires! I pay for all the movie channels...HBO, Cinemax, Starz and ShowTime. The only reason we pay for all of them is because we want to see the "newer" movies. Well, I would have to keep HBO since it has True Blood. LOL.
    I had HBO, Showtime and Starz and was paying tons of money to re-watch movies I've seen 100 times. I'll likely resubscribe to HBO when True Blood is back, but that's not until June. Then I'll cancel it when the season ends.

I find that, without all those movie channels and with Netflix instead, I get more reading done AND I watch more different movies.

You should definitely go take a look at Netflix's site and consider a free trial down the line. That way, you can test it out and see if it works for you

Hep - I think there are even certain brand/types of TVs that allow you to watch Netflix movies instantly - maybe Samsung

I know, we see the same movies over and over. We wait with anticipation on what "new" movies we have coming each Saturday. We are really big on movies. Really bites when the movies that are coming out on Saturday aren't anything we want to watch. I really appreciate the information and I have been looking at the Netflix site. I can't justify signing up with them right now, but as soon as our Directv contract is close to expiring, I will be trying the free trial.
    Play by the rules, you will miss all the fun!
    Toby Keith, Jacky Don Tucker

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Another fan of Netflix here. We often say that Netflix is so efficient that it would be wonderful if they could run the federal government!

I really like that you can order TV series, too. As a result of Netflix, I've become a HUGE fan of "Vicar of Dibley," and have enjoyed other British series as well.

But none of this has anything to do with the premise of this thread!!! LOL.
    Warning . . . I have a black belt in Facebook, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3817166;
    Hep - I think there are even certain brand/types of TVs that allow you to watch Netflix movies instantly - maybe Samsung
    There are TVs that have interfaces that will stream Netflix. In fact, I just did a Google search and discovered Panasonic is adding it to VieraCast which means I need to go home tonight and see if it is available on my TV yet. I may be doing a serious happy dance tonight if I find it there!!!!

However, there are other ways. My desktop sits in my living room so the kids have to be in a common space when using it. The cable we have to hook up our monitor splits so that we can use two monitors and we picked up a cable that converts it to HDMI so we just have the TV plugged in as a second monitor. That way we can just drop a browser window onto the TV screen and play Netflix there. The only catch is that I have not invested enough time to figure out how to route the sound from the computer to our TV or surround sound.

ETA - Just read that owners of existing VieraCast set may not be able to get the new services they are adding (including Netflix). If this turns out to be the case I am going to be steaming mad. I just bought my TV last year and when I did all of the documentation available stated that the VieraCast offerings on my set would be updated thru the Internet link as new stuff became available!! I could understand with something like Skype where you would need a mic built into the TV, but I have a hard time believing that they couldn't add Netflix capability in a manner that would be backward compatible. No idea how long I will have to wait before they announce the final word on this.
    Last edited by ClosetRTWatcher; 02-04-2010 at 11:58 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12