+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Julie & Julia

Julie & Julia

Went to a sneak preview last night and thoroughly enjoyed this film. This film is based on two memoirs, Julia Child's "My Life in France" and Julie Powell's "Julie & Julia". The two stories intertwine beautifully. It was quiet, warm and funny. I truly appreciated the love between Julia Child and her husband. Meryl Streep is fabulous as Julia Child and I will not be surprised if she wins some kind of award for her portrayal. It is always interesting to see how one person can influence another and how that can cascade to wonderful opportunities. Seriously, the movie really motivated me to wanting to try Julia Child's beef stew recipe too bad I can spell it properly in french.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Re: Julie & Julia

I definitely want to see this one! Meryl Streep appears to be channeling Julia perfectly.
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. A. Schweitzer

I'm looking forward to it also. I've known about Julia Child's WWII activites for years, but that was from documentaries. I'm eager to see this dramatization and to see Meryl Streep and Amy Adams working togther again.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

I have a date with a friend to see this Monday and can't wait! If my daughter doesn't have friends to see it with I may go with her as well. Loved the book, Love Julia Child. So jealous you got to see a sneak preview Bearcata. How did you swing that?
    Count your blessings!

This movie looks great and I am glad that someone likes it as well!! I may even pay to see this (don't hold me to it though!)
    Yup, with donuts!!

I am really looking forward to this one!!

FORT Fogey

ABC's Nightline did a segment on the movie last night (Tuesday, 8/4/09) that included an interview with the author of the book "Julie and Julia." Cynthia McFadden did it--she and Julie cooked bouef bourginon while they talked.

It was lovely.
    And the movie looks great from the few clips I've seen. IMO a lot of women identify with Julia because she never bothered to try to look "perfect" either in her personal looks or in how she cooked on tv.

I think many of us cann identify with dropping things or not doing them well. Her encouragment means a lot to a lot of women.

Julie said that she learned " a lot about life" from listening to Julia and from her recipes.

I'm sure the video of the interview--which was about 5 minutes long--will be onthe abcnews site at the Nightline link.

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3640148;
    I have a date with a friend to see this Monday and can't wait! If my daughter doesn't have friends to see it with I may go with her as well. Loved the book, Love Julia Child. So jealous you got to see a sneak preview Bearcata. How did you swing that?
    A co-worker got some movie passes to a sneak peak and its not his kind of movie so he gave them to me.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Just got back from seeing the movie with my hubby. We both thoroughly enjoyed it. No nudity, one "f-bomb" (which was appropriate to the scene), and lovely portrayals by Meryl Streep and Amy Adams. Everyone in the theater seemed to really enjoy it.

To the Point

My DH and I, daughter and her friend went to see this Friday. DH and I enjoyed it more than the girls. They are teenagers and I just don't think they are quite old enough to appreciate Julia Child. I thought the acting was really well done. Meryl Streep was excellent as usual.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast