+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Julie & Julia

Re: Julie & Julia

I'm looking forward to seeing it, except Amy Adams drives me bonkers. She was the only actor I did not like in Doubt. Is she any better / more natural in this? I just always get that feeling that she's acting - she just doesn't ever seem natural, IMO.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Saw it today and liked it a lot. Meryl Streep proves yet again that she can do anything. She's like the goddess of acting or something.

Personally, I think Amy Adams is darling, so I am probably not the one to ask, but I thought she did very well,
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

FORT Fan

Brava to Meryl Streep! She was spot-on as Julia. Agree with some critics that the Julie (Amy Adams) story was overshadowed by Streep's performance.

Feel like I gained a few pounds just watching it, though...

I've not seen it yet, but I was pleased to see that it opened at #2 at the box office. Quite a feat for a movie of its kind.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Loved it so much I'm going again today with my daughter. I did enjoy the Julia parts much more than the Julie. I may have to buy the cookbook just for that chocolate cake and beef stew.
    Count your blessings!

Well, Julie & Julia had a great Aug 7th opening. The movie made $20 million domestically and ranked number two after GI JOE. Very good showing. Nice to see there is a summer market for other than 'Slam Bam' action movies and stupid, brainless comedies.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

This was just as good the second time as the first. I ordered the cookbook from Amazon. It's back-ordered. I may even see it a third time because a friend didn't get to see it and wants to. Meryl Streep should get an Oscar nod for this. She is just delightful.
    Count your blessings!

Went to see "Julie and Julia" on Saturday with my 21 yr. old daughter and a good friend. We all loved it...My friend (also named Julie, believe it or not!) says she went straight to book store after the movie to try and find THE cookbook, but they were out and she was told she was about the 20th person who had asked for it this week! That beef bourgiyum (my interpretation) looked so good I swear I could smell it in the theater!

At the end of the movie I was somehow hoping that Julia and Julie would meet and I was disappointed that did not happen. Has anyone here read Julie Powell's book and was the movie faithful to the book? Meryl Streep was AWESOME as usual, I swear she could play any character in any setting and nail it. What was the lady's name who played her sister? She has also played a psychologist on "Two and a Half Men" and I *think* she is in the new series "Glee" this fall.
    I enjoy the escapism of reality television. Beats the heck out of worrying about your REAL life!!

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by ElizabethG;3665181;
    Went to see "Julie and Julia" on Saturday with my 21 yr. old daughter and a good friend. We all loved it...My friend (also named Julie, believe it or not!) says she went straight to book store after the movie to try and find THE cookbook, but they were out and she was told she was about the 20th person who had asked for it this week! That beef bourgiyum (my interpretation) looked so good I swear I could smell it in the theater!

At the end of the movie I was somehow hoping that Julia and Julie would meet and I was disappointed that did not happen. Has anyone here read Julie Powell's book and was the movie faithful to the book? Meryl Streep was AWESOME as usual, I swear she could play any character in any setting and nail it. What was the lady's name who played her sister? She has also played a psychologist on "Two and a Half Men" and I *think* she is in the new series "Glee" this fall.

Julie and Julia never met in real life. Julia was rather dismissive of Julie's project actually (that was mentioned briefly in the movie when the reporter called Julie and asked what she thought of Julia's negative comments. I'm sure you can find more details online if you do a search) so I don't think any such meeting, if it had taken place, would have been very good for Julie.

Jane Lynch played Julia's sister. She is indeed in the show Glee.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

The movie was actually based on two books, Julie and Julia and a biography of Julia's years in Paris. The first book is mostly about her blogs and is quite whiney. However it does cover many, many more recipes and what was involved in making them. My favorite, which was cut out of the movie, involved finding a certain bone for it's marrow and when she finally found it and managed to crack it open, the results were better than s*x. (I don't know if that word is prohibited).
    Beef Bourguignonne and more delicious recipes, smart cooking tips, and video demonstrations on marthastewart.com
    Last edited by Gutmutter; 08-17-2009 at 05:13 PM.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast