+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Hurt Locker

Likes Scottish Vikings! talldede's Avatar

The Hurt Locker

It's an Iraq war movie about a bomb squad team. I saw the preview for this on Friday night, and wow! It's intense and action packed and very well reviewed. Rotten Tomatoes gives it 96%.

It will be coming out in limited release June 26th, check it out. The previews are all over the tubie site and Rotten Tomatoes.

Re: The Hurt Locker

With Oscar season upon us, there is so much buzz about this movie. It's making me really want to go see it. But sadly, it's a little too late, since no theaters are playing it.

Wait, scratch that! I just did a quick search, and there are theaters in the area still playing the movie!

I've also read many good things about the director, Kathryn Bigelow. If she wins the Oscar, she'll be the first female director ever.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

Quote Originally Posted by CrossingGuard;3775000;
    With Oscar season upon us, there is so much buzz about this movie. It's making me really want to go see it. But sadly, it's a little too late, since no theaters are playing it.

Wait, scratch that! I just did a quick search, and there are theaters in the area still playing the movie!

I've also read many good things about the director, Kathryn Bigelow. If she wins the Oscar, she'll be the first female director ever.
    I still haven't seen this movie, but really want to. It did get nominated for a Golden Globe and has just rave reviews, and kudos to Kathryn Bigelow, I'd LOVE to see her win!

eta: Just checked Rotten Tomatoes, the DVD release date is Jan 12, 2010. So we don't have long to wait to see it, yay!

I'd love to see her win also! I reckon she has a good chance.

January 12? That's right before my birthday. Anyone want to ship me the DVD as an early birthday present? No, just kidding.

I think I would rather watch it on the big screen anyway. I probably will eventually get a copy of it on DVD if I like it (which I'm expecting to), but I want a chance to see it firsthand in the theaters.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

I just watched this movie. WOW! It's intense and gritty and realistic. The acting is superb, the Iraq setting grim, a very good movie.

I just watched it also, talldede. I saw that it was on OnDemand, and I had to rent it. People didn't want to see it with me when it was in the theaters. Well, they missed out.

It was very realistic. At times, I actually felt like the movie was a documentary. It was definitely well-acted also. I see only Jeremy Renner is getting some recognition for his work, but I thought Anthony Mackie (Sanborn) and Brian Geraghty (Eldridge) were good also. I was on the edge of my seat (well, my bed ) during some scenes, and there were some parts that really touched me. It all just felt so real.

Well, the only thing I will complain about is the scene with
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Cambridge detonating that bomb that caused his death
    . I saw that coming from a mile away. Everything else was pretty unpredictable though.
    Last edited by CrossingGuard; 01-19-2010 at 01:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CrossingGuard;3801189;
    I just watched it also, talldede. I saw that it was on OnDemand, and I had to rent it. People didn't want to see it with me when it was in the theaters. Well, they missed out.

It was very realistic. At times, I actually felt like the movie was a documentary. It was definitely well-acted also. I see only Jeremy Renner is getting some recognition for his work, but I thought Anthony Mackie (Sanborn) and Brian Geraghty (Eldridge) were good also. I was on the edge of my seat (well, my bed ) during some scenes, and there were some parts that really touched me. It all just felt so real.
    Exactly. I thought the acting was incredible by the 3 leads. In my review to my extended family,
    Click to see Spoiler:
    I told them it's not really as action packed, fighting and explosions as you may expect, the suspense and intensity come from the utter fear the characters face as they are patrolling the streets on a daily basis with unknowns surrounding them at every turn.

The cinematography is also striking. I have no idea where it was shot, the location, but have read reviews from soldiers and they say this movie captured the essence of Baghdad perfectly.

Agreed about that one predictable moment.
    Click to see Spoiler:
    And I was thinking, shoot, I really like that actor and he's gone in the first 5 mins. Dang. Also, I think when Will went AWOL into the night in Baghdad alone, that was unrealistic and when he sent his team down tunnels alone, that was not standard protocol, stupid actually.
    Last edited by talldede; 01-19-2010 at 05:13 AM.

I wholeheartedly agree with your assessment that you gave to your extended family. There really wasn't all that much action as I expected, since it was more about the fear you feel for the characters. Not necessarily the fear of the characters (since James, in particular, is pretty fearless), but the fear you feel for them.

Not saying that there wasn't any action though, because there was. But it was a different kind of action. Instead of focusing on gunfights like a typical action/suspense film, THL focused on bombs. This might sound weird, but it was a refreshing change, as the movie focused on a topic that Hollywood usually glosses over. Focusing on the battefield probably would have been the easier thing to do, as it has been done a number of times in the past. But Kathryn and crew went the other route. The EOD is a scary, frightening job, and I think the movie depicted it pretty accurately.

The camera zooms and shots made me feel dizzy at times, but that was one of the aspects that gave the movie sort of a documentary feel.

And about those two scenes you mentioned: they probably are very unrealistic, but I believed them. By the time those two scenes came, we as the viewers had already been introduced to James and how he is as a person. He's fearless, and I believed that he would do anything out there just to get his job done.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by CrossingGuard;3802536;
    I wholeheartedly agree with your assessment that you gave to your extended family. There really wasn't all that much action as I expected, since it was more about the fear you feel for the characters. Not necessarily the fear of the characters (since James, in particular, is pretty fearless), but the fear you feel for them.

Not saying that there wasn't any action though, because there was. But it was a different kind of action. Instead of focusing on gunfights like a typical action/suspense film, THL focused on bombs. This might sound weird, but it was a refreshing change, as the movie focused on a topic that Hollywood usually glosses over. Focusing on the battefield probably would have been the easier thing to do, as it has been done a number of times in the past. But Kathryn and crew went the other route. The EOD is a scary, frightening job, and I think the movie depicted it pretty accurately.

The camera zooms and shots made me feel dizzy at times, but that was one of the aspects that gave the movie sort of a documentary feel.

And about those two scenes you mentioned: they probably are very unrealistic, but I believed them. By the time those two scenes came, we as the viewers had already been introduced to James and how he is as a person. He's fearless, and I believed that he would do anything out there just to get his job done.
    I'd like to see this but I'm very susceptible to motion sickness if there is a lot of the "hand held camera" stuff. I even got queasy in District 51. Is this just in brief parts or throughout the film? Thanks!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast