+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24

Thread: The Hurt Locker

  1. #11
    FoRT Lurker CrossingGuard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bay Area / Boston
    Age
    21
    Posts
    5,836

    Re: The Hurt Locker

    Quote Originally Posted by PWS;3809035;
    I'd like to see this but I'm very susceptible to motion sickness if there is a lot of the "hand held camera" stuff. I even got queasy in District 51. Is this just in brief parts or throughout the film? Thanks!
    It's throughout the film, unfortunately. But I only felt dizzy a couple of times; the camera went a wobbly only a few times. I really think you should still watch it though. It has a good chance at the Best Picture award at the Oscars, and unlike most of America, you would have actually had seen the picture beforehand.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

  2. #12
    Likes Scottish Vikings! talldede's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    2,756

    Re: The Hurt Locker

    Quote Originally Posted by CrossingGuard;3809664;
    It's throughout the film, unfortunately. But I only felt dizzy a couple of times; the camera went a wobbly only a few times. I really think you should still watch it though. It has a good chance at the Best Picture award at the Oscars, and unlike most of America, you would have actually had seen the picture beforehand.
    PWS, sorry, I didn't see your question. I did not notice the wobbly camera, so I must not be sensitive to that. The bolded part, so true Crossing Guard, too funny!

    And, I found this out, did you know Kathryn Bigelow, the director of this movie is the ex-wife of James Cameron of Avatar???? I had no clue. Apparently in the late 80's, he maxed out her credit cards and turned their living room into a studio, their marriage did not survive, but she fell in love with movie making as well. And apparently, Kathryn and James have a healthy professional respect for each other. Cool.

  3. #13
    FoRT Lurker CrossingGuard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bay Area / Boston
    Age
    21
    Posts
    5,836

    Re: The Hurt Locker

    Yup, I read that a while ago. I think it'll be too funny if Kathryn wins Best Director over James. Even though they do seem to respect each other (example: James acknowledging Kathryn in his GG speech), there will be a slight jab if she wins, especially if she fell in love with movie-making because of their marriage.

    And James is famous for being a douche, plain and simple. I wouldn't be surprised if that's true.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

  4. #14
    Wild thang Rattus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    In the trees
    Age
    54
    Posts
    6,911

    Re: The Hurt Locker

    Quote Originally Posted by talldede;3810202;
    And, I found this out, did you know Kathryn Bigelow, the director of this movie is the ex-wife of James Cameron of Avatar???? I had no clue. Apparently in the late 80's, he maxed out her credit cards and turned their living room into a studio, their marriage did not survive, but she fell in love with movie making as well. And apparently, Kathryn and James have a healthy professional respect for each other. Cool.
    Actually, she directed Near Dark in 1986, released in 1987, two years before they were married, though they were probably a couple at the time. She also went to film school in the 70s, so her love of film-making certainly predated her relationship with James. For those who haven't seen it, I highly recommend tracking down Near Dark - it is beyond a shadow of a doubt the best vampire movie ever made and one of my top three favourite movies of all time.

    And apropos of almost nothing, Shadow of a Doubt is my favourite Hitchcock movie .
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

  5. #15
    Likes Scottish Vikings! talldede's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    2,756

    Re: The Hurt Locker

    Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;3811172;
    Actually, she directed Near Dark in 1986, released in 1987, two years before they were married, though they were probably a couple at the time. She also went to film school in the 70s, so her love of film-making certainly predated her relationship with James. For those who haven't seen it, I highly recommend tracking down Near Dark - it is beyond a shadow of a doubt the best vampire movie ever made and one of my top three favourite movies of all time.

    And apropos of almost nothing, Shadow of a Doubt is my favourite Hitchcock movie .
    Thanks for the additional info on Kathryn Bigelow Rattus. I just found out about Near Dark with Bill Paxton. It has great reviews on Rotten Tomatoes and my brother owns it, has for years, but I've not seen it. It's on the list.

  6. #16
    PWS
    PWS is offline
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    15,796

    Re: The Hurt Locker

    Over on the Avatar thread there's a list of Cameron's many and mostly quite short marriages. The only one of serious length is the last one that is approaching 10 years...hmm how long the average prenup?

  7. #17
    Likes Scottish Vikings! talldede's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    2,756

    Re: The Hurt Locker

    Quote Originally Posted by PWS;3811636;
    Over on the Avatar thread there's a list of Cameron's many and mostly quite short marriages. The only one of serious length is the last one that is approaching 10 years...hmm how long the average prenup?
    Funny. Hasn't Cameron been married like 5 or 6 times. Like CrossingGuard said, he's known for being a major douche, maybe he's mellowing with age.

  8. #18
    PWS
    PWS is offline
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    15,796

    Re: The Hurt Locker

    Quote Originally Posted by talldede;3811881;
    Funny. Hasn't Cameron been married like 5 or 6 times. Like CrossingGuard said, he's known for being a major douche, maybe he's mellowing with age.
    Yes, 5 or 6. Mostly 2-4 years from marriage until divorce is finalized...in some cases, as I said on the Avatar thread, they must have barely returned from the honeymoon before the wife filed for divorce given how long it takes. I attribute the length of this last one (which involves 3 children) to a combination of the children and perhaps a prenup that expires after 10 years....which is coming up this year. Cynical, I know. Maybe he's mellowed, hence the nice remarks about KB. We can hope. Of course if he lost and sneered that she only got it because they felt it was "time" for a woman to finally win we'd have a different image. Easy to be gracious when you win.

  9. #19
    Likes Scottish Vikings! talldede's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    2,756

    Re: The Hurt Locker

    Congrats to The Hurt Locker for receiving 9 Oscar nominations including, Best Picture, Best Director and Best Actor (Jeremy Renner.) Also, Best Cinematography, I look forward to learning more about this, as the Baghdad scenes were so realistic and grim.

    Congrats to all involved!

  10. #20
    Likes Scottish Vikings! talldede's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    2,756

    Re: The Hurt Locker

    This review is from a family member of mine.

    This is a powerful film.
    I would not call it entertainment, its more like an experience.
    This is not a typical war film. My experience with war films is movies that over macho war, or over politicize the entire thing. The movie doesn't make such statements. It simply lets you experience, very intensely (and I mean intense) what American solders in the middle east are experiencing. Yes, its war...but that is not what this film focuses on.

    You don't watch this movie, you kind of live it...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.