+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My Sister's Keeper

My Sister's Keeper

Has anybody seen this?
    I've not read the book and I heard they changed the ending for the movie. Did it work? I usually like most movies with Cameron Diaz.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

FORT Newbie

Re: My Sister's Keeper

I loved the movie...until it got to the ending. However, I am really picky because this is one of my favorite books. The ending in the book has such an emotional impact and the movie ending just falls flat. If you haven't read the book then the ending would be fine.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

I just finished the book, and yes, the ending is very powerful. So I'm guessing
    Click to see Spoiler:
    that Anna doesn't die in the movie....either she donates a kidney and Kate lives or she doesn't and Kate dies, probably the former
    . Am I right?

FORT Newbie

Click to see Spoiler:
    Kate dies in the movie and everyone else lives happily ever after. Jesse goes to art school, Sara starts practicing law again and becomes a powerful lawyer, Brian still is a firefighter, and Anna lives with the memory that she couldn't "save her sister but that her sister saved her". Every year on Kate's birthday they travel to Montana to remember her. It just didn't feel as emotional as the ending of the book. I bawled my eyes out through the whole movie and when Anna said "my sister died that night", I was in shock. IMO, it was a good movie that could have been great. For those who haven't read the book or didn't like the ending, I think they will like it.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by olivialynlee;3532715;
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Kate dies in the movie and everyone else lives happily ever after. Jesse goes to art school, Sara starts practicing law again and becomes a powerful lawyer, Brian still is a firefighter, and Anna lives with the memory that she couldn't "save her sister but that her sister saved her". Every year on Kate's birthday they travel to Montana to remember her. It just didn't feel as emotional as the ending of the book. I bawled my eyes out through the whole movie and when Anna said "my sister died that night", I was in shock. IMO, it was a good movie that could have been great. For those who haven't read the book or didn't like the ending, I think they will like it.
    Thanks, olivialynlee--boy, definitely different
    Click to see Spoiler:
    not only for Anna and Kate but for the others....Brian in book goes on an alcohol trip for quite a while for example... But maybe in some ways it is more realistic, since supposedly (according to the book) Kate shouldn't have made it past 3 or 4 anyway, much less to her mid 20's with no sign of a relapse. Must be upsetting to parents really in that situation to see such a rosy outcome portrayed.

By the way, at the end of the book (paperback) it includes the start of her next novel, which is about a baby born with brittle bone disease. SO not in the mood to read that after just finishing this!

Quote Originally Posted by olivialynlee;3531935;
    I loved the movie...until it got to the ending. However, I am really picky because this is one of my favorite books. The ending in the book has such an emotional impact and the movie ending just falls flat. If you haven't read the book then the ending would be fine.
    I completely agree! I saw the previews and the premise sounded great, but I couldn't wait to see the movie so I read the book. The book (as usual) had so much more impact than the movie. I recommend watching the movie before you read the book.
    "We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." ~Anais Nin

"Sometimes the heart sees what is invisible to the eye." ~H. Jackson Brown Jr

+ Reply to Thread