+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Hangover

Re: The Hangover

Went to see it last night with a friend, and it was the most hysterical movie I have seen in a very long time. I was laughing out loud throughout the movie - and that rarely happens. I just read this morning that there will be a Hangover 2 released in 2011. No way it could be as funny as this one.

Everyone I know who'd seen it thought it was hysterical, so there was plenty of buildup, but I can't imagine the buildup ruined it for me. I just did not find it funny at all. Granted, Vegas is the one place on earth that is NOT on my bucket list, and I prefer the clever, smartly-worded or creative to the raunchy humor (Frasier is my alltime favorite show, for example), but I'd throw this one into the Dumb and Dumber category. Couldn't bring myself to care about any of the characters, and thus all of the antics had me saying, "so what?"

Oh, well the build-up ruined it for me, because I'm usually someone who laughs at anything remotely funny. After hearing and reading (on Facebook statuses) all of the rave reviews for this movie, I decided to check it out last week. But I didn't really laugh. The only parts where I truly laughed were when Alan talked about
    Click to see Spoiler:
    the Jonas Brothers being in town
    and the reel during the credits. And those two parts were towards the end of the movie.

I'd rather someone have bad things to say about a film rather than rave about it so I can just go into the movie not expecting anyting (and hopefully being pleasantly surprised).
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

Zach Galifiankis can do no wrong in my opinion. I get what your saying about having really high expectations but I thought all of mine were met.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    Benjamin Franklin.

I haven't seen this one yet, although I may have to go see what all this good buzz is about.
    I think, however, way too often we see a film after hearing all this hype about it and there's just no way it can live up to it.
    I thought Slumdog Millionaire was a good movie. But, I had been led to believe it was going to be one of the greatest movies ever made. And, no, it certainly did not live up to that hype for me.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Kiz

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;3521959;
    Definitely very funny, but not memorably so. I've found that I have a distinct preference for comedies, raunchy or not, that have characters I can empathize with. 40-Year Old Virgin has become my bench-mark for humour, apparently, as I not only laughed and laughed and laughed, I felt emphathy for the virgin, enjoyed his growing friendship with his co-workers and teared up just a little when he married his girlfriend. Maybe it's a chick thing.
    I had to respond to your post because that's basically what I said to my husband after we saw the movie this past weekend down to the comparison to 40 Year Old Virgin.
    You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style. ~Humbert

Quote Originally Posted by Toby;3601060;
    I get what your saying about having really high expectations but I thought all of mine were met.
    Ditto to your post, Toby. I am generally let down after too much hype about a movie - but this one did not let me down. My husband was super reluctant to see this one for that very reason, and was very surprised when it lived up to his expectations.

LOL funny.

Not at the table Carlos.

I didn't buy the buildup for this movie, didn't laugh at any of the trailers and in fact was feeling disappointed in advance since I'm a fan of Ed Helms. As it turned out, I laughed through the whole thing - great, funny film and I'm looking forward to the sequel.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12