+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The (New) Three Stooges

The (New) Three Stooges

It looks as if this Farrelly brothers project is expected to start shooting this fall with Sean Penn as Larry, Benicio del Toro as Moe, and Jim Carrey as Curly.

I've never been a big Stooges fan; I really think it's more of a comedy genre for guys than for girls, but this casting could be well worth a look.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Re: The (New) Three Stooges

The Stooges were too mean-spirited to be funny. I have no desire to revisit their "contribution."
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Surprised that Newf didn't like them. Every man I've ever known has thought they were funny and I thought the same about their humor.
    Even the Farrelly Bros. couldn't make me see this one.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Nope, didn't like the Stooges, didn't like Abbot and Costello. LOVE Laurel and Hardy.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

This sounds completely horrifying. Actually, I could buy it as a horror movie.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Not a Stooges fan at all (well, Iggy and the Stooges - love them), but the concept Sean Penn playing Larry is so fascinating that I can't help but be a little intrigued. Not enough to see it in the theatre, but I will probably have a friend download it when it becomes available.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

MRD

Newf, you are the first man I've ever heard say they didn't like the stooges. I'm not a fan, so even Sean Penn won't make me want to see this.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Although I was really surprised by the seemingly random choices of Sean Penn and Benicio Del Toro, it really hasn't inspired any interest in me to see this movie. I have never cared for the Stooges so it would take A LOT to get me to watch a re-hash of them.

FORT Fogey

The casting makes me wonder if this is a movie about The Three Stooges, or a re-make of The Three Stooges. I see absolutely no reason in the world to re-make it. There are just some things in this world which should stand on their own, and something that is as known and accepted as it is as the stooges should be left alone. However, if the intent is for this to be more of a bio-pic, I think it could be interesting.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;3397153;
    The casting makes me wonder if this is a movie about The Three Stooges, or a re-make of The Three Stooges. I see absolutely no reason in the world to re-make it. There are just some things in this world which should stand on their own, and something that is as known and accepted as it is as the stooges should be left alone. However, if the intent is for this to be more of a bio-pic, I think it could be interesting.
    That's what my query was initially, but according to Variety, it is a Three Stooges movie; it isn't about the men who played the stooges, but it'll be their characters doing whatever it is the stooges do. (Meet the wolf man, whatever...I've never been a huge follower.) IMO, with this cast and these directors, this could be either absolutely brilliant or horrifically bad, with no middle ground.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast