+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The (New) Three Stooges

Re: The (New) Three Stooges

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl;3397166;
    IMO, with this cast and these directors, this could be either absolutely brilliant or horrifically bad, with no middle ground.
    My money's on horrifically bad, but I'm still curious to see Sean Penn playing Larry. Didn't he last do comedy back in the eighties? I'm interested in seeing how his comedic chops have ripened through the decades.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;3397174;
    My money's on horrifically bad, but I'm still curious to see Sean Penn playing Larry. Didn't he last do comedy back in the eighties? I'm interested in seeing how his comedic chops have ripened through the decades.
    He will forever be Spiccoli to me when I think of him in relation to comedies.

"Aloha, Mr. Hand"
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

FORT Fanatic

When TPTB cast Sean Penn as Larry in a Three Stooges movie, they must not be making a comedy at all, perhaps it's going to be a docu/drama. because that guy just isnt funny, he cant play funny and he never will be funny.

Quote Originally Posted by imissme;3397339;
    When TPTB cast Sean Penn as Larry in a Three Stooges movie, they must not be making a comedy at all, perhaps it's going to be a docu/drama. because that guy just isnt funny, he cant play funny and he never will be funny.
    Have you never seen Fast Times at Ridgemont High? He was funny. His Spicoli, in fact, is a comic icon.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

MRD

I always thought that he had a hard time breaking into drama because of doing Spicoli and the first couple of movies he made after that I had a hard time believing he could be serious. Shows he's a pretty darn good, versatile actor if he went from Spicoli to Harvey Milk in his career.

and quite honestly, Larry is the least funny of the stooges. I always called him the "mean one". But he's always been the more serious or "straight man" of the group.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3398075;
    and quite honestly, Larry is the least funny of the stooges. I always called him the "mean one". But he's always been the more serious or "straight man" of the group.
    I was talking about this movie and the Stooges with Mr. Rattus (who knows nothing about Curly, Larry or Moe - he didn't even know which one was Moe ), and I described Larry as the "sour" Stooge. We determined that if Larry was the sour Stooge, then Mr. Penn should do an admirable job portraying him.

FORT Fanatic

I should have expounded on my problem with Sean Penn portraying Larry in The Three Stooges. I do not like the actor Sean Penn. He is one of those blowholes whom I cant stand to watch on a big screen. His persona, which he created with his off-screen rants on political situations, is so annoying that I can't get past it for any "great" performance he might be able to give. Jeez, this years academy award speech was enough to make me want to reach through my screen and slap him.
    Hey, Mr Penn, if you have all the solutions to what is wrong with America run for office, get elected, actually make a difference instead of speaking about the wrongs. Better yet, just shut up!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by imissme;3398252;
    I should have expounded on my problem with Sean Penn portraying Larry in The Three Stooges. I do not like the actor Sean Penn. He is one of those blowholes whom I cant stand to watch on a big screen. His persona, which he created with his off-screen rants on political situations, is so annoying that I can't get past it for any "great" performance he might be able to give. Jeez, this years academy award speech was enough to make me want to reach through my screen and slap him.
    Hey, Mr Penn, if you have all the solutions to what is wrong with America run for office, get elected, actually make a difference instead of speaking about the wrongs. Better yet, just shut up!
    You're not Bill O'Reilly are you???

(Just kidding-really-it's a joke, I just read not 5 minutes ago where O'Reilly boycotts Sean Penn movies-kind of a coincidence thing going on here)

Personally I like it when actors and celebrities make a stand as it brings issues to light to people that may not hear about them otherwise, because celebrities often get a broader audience (sadly) than the actual people in office that can change things. Not everyone watches the news or reads the paper, but if an actor they like says something about a particular cause, it may lead the fan to get more information and more information is ALWAYS a good thing.

I may not always agree with Sean Penn, but I think people like him CAN make a difference.

FORT Fanatic

Nope, sorry I am not Bill O'Reilly. If I were, I would be spending my money on doing wicked things instead of the botox deposit he is maintaining in his forehead.
    I am of the believe that jesters should entertain. Actors are todays jesters and as such I would like to shout..."Jest jester jest"

MRD

about the botox comment.

Actors bring a lot of awareness to the world we live in because they do have a public platform. And there are hundreds of good examples from anti-drug campaigns to Aids awareness, cancer screening and awareness, etc.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12