+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Watchmen

Watchmen

I cannot WAIT for this movie to come out. I saw the preview for it at the IMAX over 3 months ago, and I have been dying to see it since. It looks really good. I hope it is!

Anyone else?
    ignorance is excellence

YES!! I was jazzed to see it BEFORE I knew my darling JDM would be in it.
    Now, I'll save my pennies for a sitter to make SURE Husband takes me out

Re: Watchmen

We're going to a midnight showing when it comes out. We already bought tickets from the comic store we frequent. A little background: I read the gn for the first time this year after being encouraged to read it forever by various people I know. So I read it. And didn't like it. My husband liked it, but I did not. We've talked to a few other comic readers that didn't like it, as well. We both go to get our comics together every month and his taste is admittedly different than mine (he's a DC guy, I'm a Marvel and Dark Horse girl).

Still, I can see how it could be made into a really good movie, so I'm excited about that. I just think the graphic novel is possibly the most overblown, overrated comic series of all time (maybe because I could see the ending coming from almost the beginning? ). I think the only reason it became legendary is that someone finally decided that they could write about something more than Nazis and diamond heists in comic books.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Oh, sorry for the double post, but I forgot to mention that our "tickets" are buttons like the Comedian's button. Coolness.

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

I just read the story of Watchmen in the Sunday paper. Fascinating! Cannot believe I had never heard of this gn that apparently influenced everything that has come after it. I have placed a hold on it at the library. As for movies, I wait until they come out on DVD and get them at the library, or see them once they get to HBO.

FORT Fogey

I saw the trailer summer of last year and I had to see it! My boyfriend at the time said we would watch it together. So I think he is going to drive 600 miles to come over here and watch it with me! We won't watch it the first weekend it is out because I just know how horrible it will be!

The special showing I'm going to is at midnight tonight. I'll let you know what i think.

Yes please! We don't have a sitter till May, so I'll have to live through you
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

Woohoo! I really enjoyed the movie. Although there were some parts I thought were iffy, I felt that they stayed close enough to the graphic novel, so I was happy.

I'm too tired to be able to make much sense, but I enjoyed the movie a lot. However, there's one (in my opinion) fairly major plot point that they changed for no reason that I can think of, so I'm a little put off by that. My husband and I could think of about a dozen reasons why they shouldn't have messed with that part. However, overall I felt it was very good and extremely faithful to the novel. They had to cut out a lot, of course, but they did a great job piecing the rest of it together smoothly. I liked everyone in their roles, but the guy that played Rorschach was born to play the part. And his mask is freaking awesome. It seemed a little too faithful to the novel to appeal to audiences that hadn't read it, so I'm interested to see what those folks think about it.

One other thing. It was extremely gory. Way more than the novel. For example, in the novel they show a
    Click to see Spoiler:
    bone for the dead girls leg that the dogs are fighting over. In the movie, its a chewed up leg with foot and all.
    So, I thought those kind of changes were unnecessary and just pretty gross. In other words, don't take the kiddos.

I'll probably have more thoughts to add when I wake up a little more.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast