+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Coraline

Coraline

Who's planning on taking their kids to see this? My oldest has read the graphic novel and both my girls are panting to see the movie. I love this Gaiman story and admit I was pretty disappointed to see how watered-down visually the movie version looks, but of course it's more kid-friendly this way. I'm confident my kids can handle it (in the next couple of months, they are turning 10 and 6) as they're familiar with the story already.

The story is creepy fun, but the mom/dad with button eyes might scare more sensitive kids, I think.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Re: Coraline

My son read this in Jr High and really wants to see it. Unfortunately I'm completely flat on my back with a spasm and cannot go today.
    Yup, with donuts!!

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;3307888;
    Who's planning on taking their kids to see this? My oldest has read the graphic novel and both my girls are panting to see the movie. I love this Gaiman story and admit I was pretty disappointed to see how watered-down visually the movie version looks, but of course it's more kid-friendly this way. I'm confident my kids can handle it (in the next couple of months, they are turning 10 and 6) as they're familiar with the story already.

The story is creepy fun, but the mom/dad with button eyes might scare more sensitive kids, I think.
    I didn't realize there was a graphic novel version. The version my son and I read a few years back was just a standard paperback. When I first saw a preview I was a little disappointed that it was animated. For some reason I visualized it as a typical live actor kind of film. However, that might make it even scarier for kids. At this point I have accepted it as animation and I am looking forward to seeing it!

However, my youngest is only 4yo, so I will definitely wait to hear for some opinions to see whether the button-eye mom might be too scary for her!

I took the kids to see this today. The movie is visually gorgeous, and while watching some scenes, particularly when Coraline is with her "other father" in the garden, I think my mouth was literally hanging open in awe (we saw it in 3-D, btw). The beauty of the stop-motion and the fact that the movie at least kept the spirit of the book (it's not a dumbed-down Disneyfied version of the story) made me forgive those responsible for the screenplay for not following the original to the letter. My kids really enjoyed it - my 5-year-old said it was "scarier than getting (her) ears pierced" but she also said she wanted to see it again.

I would recommend caution if anyone is considering taking a preschooler or even one slightly older. There are definitely a few scenes that might frighten a smaller child. It's more along the lines of something like A Nightmare Before Christmas or Corpse Bride rather than Monster House, if that helps.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

jmb
    FORT Fogey Word Builder Champion jmb's Avatar

From the previews that I have seen , it looks very scary/creepy to me, and I'm an adult! I don't think I will go see it - I would be having nightmares about people with button eyes.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Apparently this was funded at least in part by Phil Knight (Nike) because his son worked as an animator for an advertising firm that morphed into the studio that produced this. Nice to hear about one child of a rich guy who didn't turn into a Paris Hilton clone.

I really want to see this. Going to netflix it.
    ignorance is excellence

My daughter and I finally were able to see this. We saw it in the theater with 3D. Visually it was fantastic. I haven't seen any of the other 3D stuff, but after all the previews we saw I want to see more. We thought they did a pretty good job. DD was in a play about Coraline which was adapted from the book. Neither of us have read the story. If the catching of the hand in the play was the same as the book I wish the movie had stuck a little closer to it.

There was a little preschooler in the theater with us, the only other people in the theater. DD was on spring break and we were in Houston. Houston was not having their spring break that same week, so not suprising that we were the only ones there I guess. We were thinking it may have been a bit scary for how little the preschooler looked. Maybe her dad knows her better than we, but I don't think I would have taken my daughter at that same age.

There were a few things I didn't think made sense with how the movie flowed, it may be because I haven't read the book, or perhaps they changed too much. I'm not sure. I understood it all, just didn't think it made sense, like when she wakes back up in her own bed, or how her parents ended up in the snow globe.

Overall we were pleased and enjoyed ourselves.

+ Reply to Thread