+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slumdog Millionaire

Slumdog Millionaire

Saw it Christmas Day. It has been nominated for 10 Academy Awards. It is a great picture. I must admit it was not my first choice to see but I did note that it has been making the rounds of the local art cinemas and had staying power. I read that the critics liked it and to be totally honest I feel the the 2008 holiday season, from Thanksgiving through the New Year has been seriously lacking in good movies. So it was either Brad Pitt (ugh!) in Benjamin Button or Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino. Slumdog won. Wow, good choice, I won the lotto as far as choice of films. Slumdog is great. It is basically a story of 2 young Muslim brothers in largely Hindu India. There are some scenes that are very hard to take, the abject poverty the boys endure. the death of their mother at the hands of an angry mob, the beggar boss (think Faggin) who tries to use their youth to get rich. Oh, one thing I did learn is I never ever want to get arrested by Indian police. Here in America there are massive disscussions about the morality of using torture on terrorist prisoners, well the Indian police have no problem with waterboarding or using car batteries to shock you.

A good film, go and see it.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Re: Slumdog Millionaire

I thought it was good, but not great. And Danny Boyle is a director who I usualy really like. The movie started off well, but then got overly predictable. I wonder how well it would have done had it been made here in the US about a very poor slum, as opposed to being about the slums of India.

FORT Fogey

I didn't see it as that predictable really. I guess in the REALLY big picture, I can see where it was somewhat predictable. Sure, you did have a pretty good idea of where it was going to wind up in the end. But to me, the path to GET there was not predictable at all, which made it great fun. You knew things were going to be bad, but didn't know how exactly it was going to go or how bad it could get.

Interesting though about a slum in the US vs the slums of India. I think that being set in India certainly made it more powerful. I think that there are many people who know there's a lot of poverty in India, but don't quite comprehend just how bad it can be. I mean really, can Americans truly get their head around the concept that in India and other nations, if you're a poor child and your parents die, you function on your own rather than having some sort of system that provides SOME kind of adult care for you? So I think that in many respects, having our collective eyes opened to just how impoverished poverty can be added a powerful element to the film.

Kao

I think it's a very good, very important film, especially for India. Bollywood tends to gloss over this huge segment of the Indian population. Yes, there are many very rich or middle class people in India, but there's even more people growing up in the slums.

I truly enjoyed the movie, but I LOVED LOVED OMG LOVED the ending credits. I've had that song in my head for nearly a week now, ever since I saw the movie. It's an instant and definite mood-brightener.

(Also, how gorgeous is Freida Pinto? Stunning.)

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Amanda;3294546;

(Also, how gorgeous is Freida Pinto? Stunning.)
    I agree! My shallow enjoyment in the number of awards shows that have recognized this film has been seeing how much better and better she can manage to look for each awards show. By the time the Oscars roll around, look out!

She is absolutely stunning.
    I was even more impressed by the male lead's diction. So many of the Indian people that I have worked with through the years also speak like him. I hope he can serve as a role model to some in this country who only choose to emulate poor speech and diction.

Isn't he from London?

CCL

^ Dev Patel is from London. I thought he was great in the film. I was also really impressed with the younger actors & I agree that Frieda Pinto is gorgeous (and a good actress, of course; this was her first film and I can see her doing many more). And I loved seeing Irfan Khan as the Police Chief.
    I really enjoyed Slumdog. One of the best movies I've seen in ages.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Amanda;3294546;
    I truly enjoyed the movie, but I LOVED LOVED OMG LOVED the ending credits. I've had that song in my head for nearly a week now, ever since I saw the movie. It's an instant and definite mood-brightener.
    I read your post before I went to the movie and I couldn't imagine what the credits could have going for such a reaction. But I agree with you! What fun to have that stuck in your head!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast