+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718 LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 171

Thread: The 81st Academy Awards - Sunday, Feb. 22, 2009

  1. #161
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    8,164

    Re: The 81st Academy Awards - Sunday, Feb. 22, 2009

    Quote Originally Posted by MsDiva2007;3344525;
    So then since the movie was about Politics its ok for him to hold a captive audience with his views? What if the movie was about Crack cocaine would it be ok for people to watch him do that also?

    I watch the shows for entertainment not Politics. It is a diversion from all the little things in life. If I wanted Politics or a one sided ideals I would turn to Foxnews or some other new outlet.
    I think it is all a question of the context. As I said earlier, I thought the screenwriters acceptance speech was beautiful, and eloquent, and even though it dealt with politics (and at that SOME areas where I disagree with him) I would not have wanted to miss it for the world. To me, Sean Penn's was also appropriate because it came across more as "this is what I've learned and how I've changed from playing this role" instead of just "this is what I think and because I've got a golden guy in my hand, you suck if you don't think it too". To me, that's dramatically different from something like Tim Robbins or Richard Gere presenting an award, and because they've got an open mic and a large audience, choosing to use the moment to promote a political position.

  2. #162
    Bitten Critical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Fangtasia - The Bar With Bite
    Age
    45
    Posts
    15,636

    Re: The 81st Academy Awards - Sunday, Feb. 22, 2009

    Plus, no one is "holding the audience captive." If viewers don't want to hear what someone has to say, they can use the mute button or change the channel.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

    I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

  3. #163
    Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    whatever
    Age
    30
    Posts
    6,067

    Re: The 81st Academy Awards - Sunday, Feb. 22, 2009

    Quote Originally Posted by MsDiva2007;3344525;
    So then since the movie was about Politics its ok for him to hold a captive audience with his views? What if the movie was about Crack cocaine would it be ok for people to watch him do that also?

    I watch the shows for entertainment not Politics. It is a diversion from all the little things in life. If I wanted Politics or a one sided ideals I would turn to Foxnews or some other new outlet.
    Well, should there be a next time, just change the channel. There, no one held prisoner.

    Anyway, i was actually glad to see a few faces there, such as J.lo, Jessica Alba, and i'm sure a few others. I wonder if Sally Kirkland was there though, she's usually good at dressing badly.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

  4. #164
    FORT Fogey justCoz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,887

    Re: The 81st Academy Awards - Sunday, Feb. 22, 2009

    Quote Originally Posted by MsDiva2007;3344192;
    Ok I don't know if Lisa Rinna looked at her face before she left the house. The woman looked like she was mugged by a Bobcat and those lips look horrid.

    I really wish the actors would come on the stage pick up their Oscar and leave the politics to the Politicians. I am looking at you Sean Penn.
    I agree with you on political speaches. I don't really care to hear all that. It's long enough as it is, just say thanks and get off the stage.

    It was definitely not one of Lisa's best looks. Despite the lips she usually looks pretty good but she was a mess Sunday.

    I loved Kate's speech, telling her dad to whistle. That's what I want in a thank you speech.

    I really enjoyed the individual prior winners introducing the nominees. I hope they do that again. It added something extra to the show. Especially the ones that were heartfelt and drew real emotions from the nominees (Anne Hathaway's reaction was fabulous). Nicole Kidman on the other hand sounded like she could not have cared any less about being up there reading that speech off the teleprompter. I also liked the tributes to the other movies of 2008, not just the nominees. I do however wish they would have not done that weird thing with the memorial part. It didn't feel very honoring the way they kept switching back and forth between the screen and the Queen and then not even giving us a good view of half the names. Very odd. And was it completely necessary for the camera to focus on Angelina while Jennifer was up there? I could have done without that.

  5. #165
    Wait, what? ArchieComic Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    The Farm
    Posts
    4,647

    Re: The 81st Academy Awards - Sunday, Feb. 22, 2009

    I liked Queen Latifah singing during the "In Memorium" but didn't like the way some of the names were hard to read. I also liked the way they had past winners present to the supporting and best actor nominees.

    I'm probably going to need to go in hiding for saying this but I think Heath Ledger got a sympathy win. I don't think his portrayal of the Joker was any more spectacular than Jack Nicholson's. I'm a fan of his work and think he was a great actor but I don't think he deserved the win over the others in the category.

    It would have made my day if Sean Penn would have done a little bit of "Spicoli" in his acceptance speech. He's so serious these days and it would have been fun to see him lighten up a bit. Maybe throw in a "dude" or "awesome" . Plus no matter who he plays, Spicoli will always be my favorite character of his. Also, I noticed Robin was with him but he didn't thank her. Not that it necessarily means anything, I just figured if they are back together he might throw a "thank you for being there for me" her way.

    I didn't see anything but graciousness from Angelina Jolie. I know a lot of people don't like her but I do. I like Jennifer too.

    Ben Stiller as Joaquin was hilarious. But I thought the Seth Rogan schtick with that other guy was stupid.

    Hugh Jackman was an excellent host. Billy Crystal is still my all-time favorite but Hugh brought a touch of class to the ceremony that has been missing for the past few years.
    Have you done your Green deed for the day?

  6. #166
    FORT Fogey MsDiva2007's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Del Mar, California
    Age
    51
    Posts
    4,394

    Re: The 81st Academy Awards - Sunday, Feb. 22, 2009

    Quote Originally Posted by Amy Lee;3345460;
    Well, should there be a next time, just change the channel. There, no one held prisoner.

    Anyway, i was actually glad to see a few faces there, such as J.lo, Jessica Alba, and i'm sure a few others. I wonder if Sally Kirkland was there though, she's usually good at dressing badly.
    Oh don't worry I did. I refuse to listen to someone who is an actor use a stage that is there for them to give thanks for an award to further political views. There is a time and place for everything and The Oscars aren't the place for it. sorry.


    when I said "held Captive" I was referring to those in the venue. Who had to stay seated while he waxed poetic. These shows used to have seat replacement so that viewers didn't see empty seats on tv. I did that a couple of times for an Hollywood awards program.
    Last edited by MsDiva2007; 02-24-2009 at 09:47 PM.

  7. #167
    Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    whatever
    Age
    30
    Posts
    6,067

    Re: The 81st Academy Awards - Sunday, Feb. 22, 2009

    Argh! I meant to say i was happy not to see J.lo and Jessica Alba there.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

  8. #168
    I Bleed Scarlet And Gray Wonderputt Champion FireWoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    At the High Rollers Table
    Posts
    4,591

    Re: The 81st Academy Awards - Sunday, Feb. 22, 2009

    Quote Originally Posted by ArchieComic Fan;3346013;
    I liked Queen Latifah singing during the "In Memorium" but didn't like the way some of the names were hard to read. I also liked the way they had past winners present to the supporting and best actor nominees.

    I'm probably going to need to go in hiding for saying this but I think Heath Ledger got a sympathy win. I don't think his portrayal of the Joker was any more spectacular than Jack Nicholson's. I'm a fan of his work and think he was a great actor but I don't think he deserved the win over the others in the category.

    It would have made my day if Sean Penn would have done a little bit of "Spicoli" in his acceptance speech. He's so serious these days and it would have been fun to see him lighten up a bit. Maybe throw in a "dude" or "awesome" . Plus no matter who he plays, Spicoli will always be my favorite character of his. Also, I noticed Robin was with him but he didn't thank her. Not that it necessarily means anything, I just figured if they are back together he might throw a "thank you for being there for me" her way.

    I didn't see anything but graciousness from Angelina Jolie. I know a lot of people don't like her but I do. I like Jennifer too.

    Ben Stiller as Joaquin was hilarious. But I thought the Seth Rogan schtick with that other guy was stupid.

    Hugh Jackman was an excellent host. Billy Crystal is still my all-time favorite but Hugh brought a touch of class to the ceremony that has been missing for the past few years.
    Now see I am happy he has managed to overcome that whole surfer dude persona. He has really become a great actor.. and in my opinion giving him just cause to say whatever the hell he wants in an Oscar Speach. I loved it, I laughed and I even teared up a bit. Its good to see that people who have more of a voice then the rest of us care enough to use that to their advantage. There was a reason he did this movie.. and i think his political views had much to do with that.

    Also, he left Robin out at her request.. shes talked about it saying that they both agreed since they knew time would be short and she knows how he felt.
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

    "Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

  9. #169
    Wait, what? ArchieComic Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    The Farm
    Posts
    4,647

    Re: The 81st Academy Awards - Sunday, Feb. 22, 2009

    Now see I am happy he has managed to overcome that whole surfer dude persona. He has really become a great actor.. and in my opinion giving him just cause to say whatever the hell he wants in an Oscar Speach.
    I don't look at it as overcoming a persona. I just think it would have been funny since he's become such a serious (and very good) actor. I agree there wasn't anything wrong with the political views in his speech because it was fitting to the role he played. Good to know he and Robin discussed her not being in his speech. I remember the year Hillary Swank forgot to thank her husband (ex-husband).
    Have you done your Green deed for the day?

  10. #170
    I Bleed Scarlet And Gray Wonderputt Champion FireWoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    At the High Rollers Table
    Posts
    4,591

    Re: The 81st Academy Awards - Sunday, Feb. 22, 2009

    lol i remember that.. maybe she was trying to tell him something
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

    "Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.