+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: The 81st Academy Awards - Sunday, Feb. 22, 2009

Re: The 81st Academy Awards - Sunday, Feb. 22, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by FireWoman;3342258;
    I too liked the new format.. i found it touching. This is about the people who play a part.. and in past shows we always see the part they play, it was so nice to see the people behind the role.
    What a great way of putting it.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

I thought some of the gowns were really beautiful and looked stunning on the ladies tha wore them. However, if I were Jessica Biel, I'd be firing my stylist. She has to have one of the best bodies anywhere and that gown was just totally unflattering.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;3341359;
    Amy Adams was stunning.. the red was gorgeous, and that necklace.. wow!
    I'm going to have to smack Cojo on ET. He's slamming Amy Adams' dress.. saying it looked like a bruised tomato.

I'll show him a tomato!

CCL

I didn't like Amy Adams's dress. The colour was good (it didn't at all resemble a tomato; Cojo is an idiot anyways) but i hated the gathered up part in the middle. It looked like she was wearing a tucked-in bib. I also don't like one-shouldered dresses so I wasn't happy with that being a trend this year. I liked Anne Hathaway's dress (but why was she wearing a different dress when she went up on stage with Hugh Jackman for the Frost/Nixon number?). Can't wait for the next People Magazine & EW so I can pour over all the fashions.
    Last edited by CCL; 02-23-2009 at 09:21 PM.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Darn. Wish I'd checked yesterday. Didn't know we had an Oscar thread. Oh well, next year maybe.

Loved the "craigslist dancers"

I enjoyed the show. Really liked the 5 previous winners coming out to pay tribute to the nominees in the actor categories. Actually it was 20 previous winners.

Ok I don't know if Lisa Rinna looked at her face before she left the house. The woman looked like she was mugged by a Bobcat and those lips look horrid.

I really wish the actors would come on the stage pick up their Oscar and leave the politics to the Politicians. I am looking at you Sean Penn.

Quote Originally Posted by MsDiva2007;3344192;
    I really wish the actors would come on the stage pick up their Oscar and leave the politics to the Politicians. I am looking at you Sean Penn.
    Normally, I agree with that, but I second everything Sean Penn said last night. It's not just a political issue, it's a human issue. Plus, it was particularly appropriate considering the role for which he'd just won the Oscar.

The ratings were up this year from last, which is probably due, at least in part, to Hugh. I thought he did fabulously. I said it before, but he seriously needs to be in a movie musical...immediately! Cast Anne Hathaway alongside him. We all missed out when she passed on the lead in Phantom of the Opera. Not that Emmy Rossum wasn't good in the role, but I just like Anne better. Their bit in the opening number of the show was hilarious: "Oh, Nixon!"

What's with all the women practically spilling out of their strapless dresses? I thought sure SJP was going to be having a Janet Jackson moment. How is that attractive? Sometimes Meryl Streep can dress a little too matronly, but she looked so lovely and elegant this year. Just perfect.

I only have one real complaint: Where the hell was George Clooney? It's not an awards show if I can't see him looking dapper in a tux. They should have had him as one of the Supporting Actor presenters instead of Cuba Gooding Jr.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3344217;
    Normally, I agree with that, but I second everything Sean Penn said last night. It's not just a political issue, it's a human issue. Plus, it was particularly appropriate considering the role for which he'd just won the Oscar.

The ratings were up this year from last, which is probably due, at least in part, to Hugh. I thought he did fabulously. I said it before, but he seriously needs to be in a movie musical...immediately! Cast Anne Hathaway alongside him. We all missed out when she passed on the lead in Phantom of the Opera. Not that Emmy Rossum wasn't good in the role, but I just like Anne better. Their bit in the opening number of the show was hilarious: "Oh, Nixon!"

What's with all the women practically spilling out of their strapless dresses? I thought sure SJP was going to be having a Janet Jackson moment. How is that attractive? Sometimes Meryl Streep can dress a little too matronly, but she looked so lovely and elegant this year. Just perfect.

I only have one real complaint: Where the hell was George Clooney? It's not an awards show if I can't see him looking dapper in a tux. They should have had him as one of the Supporting Actor presenters instead of Cuba Gooding Jr.
    George was in Washington yesterday, discussing the trip he just returned from to Africa. So I would guess he was busy dealing with Darfur and could not be there.

I also agree with your take on the political mentions in an Oscar speech. When the award winning role is about a political issue, I think that it makes it okay. I thought that the writer of Milk was absolutely eloquent and worked a political position into his speech beautifully. I would NOT have wanted to miss what he said due to an avoidance to mention politics.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3344217;
    I agree! George Clooney is going to be filming a role in Michigan soon and I'm going to have to go in full-on stalker mode.

So then since the movie was about Politics its ok for him to hold a captive audience with his views? What if the movie was about Crack cocaine would it be ok for people to watch him do that also?

I watch the shows for entertainment not Politics. It is a diversion from all the little things in life. If I wanted Politics or a one sided ideals I would turn to Foxnews or some other new outlet.

+ Reply to Thread