+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: The 81st Academy Awards - Sunday, Feb. 22, 2009

Let the Wild Rumpus begin JustJuls's Avatar

Re: The 81st Academy Awards - Sunday, Feb. 22, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetNerd;3341927;
    My DVR cut it off right before Sean's speech Oh I hope it winds up online tomorrow.
    I got cut off at Best Actress! So annoyed!!!

I knew Slumdog was going to "take it home" in almost every category they were in. It was a great film and absolutely deserved it. Well done!

Jai Ho!
    When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, the World will know Peace

Ugh, I hated the overperformance Slumdog Millionaire. I loved Slumdog Millionaire, but it sooo didn't deserve some of those technical awards in comparison to the other nominees. IMO it was riding the wave of favoritism over substance.

Quote Originally Posted by luvsginger;3341940;
    I loved the way they presented the Best Actor/Actress Awards this year. Did you all notice how Jennifer Anniston was sitting behind Sean Penn? I noticed she glanced over to her right when he stood up, I wonder if she was glancing over at her ex.
    I saw that too and also noticed that when Kate Winslet won, Angelina stood up to applaud but Brad did not. It looked like she was leaning over to maybe tell him to stand because he rose to his feet soon after. On another note, I loved Sean Penn's speech. He was self-deprecating, funny and gracious.
    CYA

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar

I thought the stage was a bit too low and close to the audience.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

If I had a body like Jessica Biel's, I don't think I'd be walking around in a beige garbage bag. Who told her she should wear that thing?

My crush on Hugh Jackman is even stronger now. I love a man who can sing and dance. Still, I was hoping for a sleeveless tux! He was adorable in the Barbara Walters interview too. His wife is a lucky woman!

I thought the show was great - even though it went long (has more than one Oscar show ever been only 3 hours long?) it didn't feel like it was too long. I enjoyed the musical numbers and I liked the way they presented the acting awards. It made it more personal and it also gave the nominees who didn't win a nice little pat on the back. I did think some of the nominees kind of got the short end of the stick. I mean, Anne Hathaway gets that great speech from Shirley MacLaine and Sophia Loren talks about Meryl Streep, but Angelina Jolie gets the stiff cue card reading from Nicole Kidman. Nice.

SO happy for Kate! She should have won for Sense and Sensibility. I mean, what has Miro Sorvino (who beat out Kate that year) done since she won? I loved Romy and Michelle, but please.

Overall, I don't think any of the winners were big upsets, but I thought they were all deserving. The only big surprise for me was with Bruce Springsteen not getting a nomination for Best Song. Weird. The Oscar voters are notoriously unhip, musically, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by CrossingGuard;3341919;
    Yes.

I also loved the way they presented the acting categories. I don't think they can do this format in years to come since it would probably get old quickly, but I still really liked it. I enjoyed seeing some of the greats, like Sophia Loren and Robert DeNiro, and also a few newer actors like Marion, who is just so cute.
    That's the part I didn't like. Not so much that they had five presenters but that each presenter gave a little speech basically canonizing the nominee. I preferred when they showed little clips of each nominee's performance.

Was glad to see Kate Winslet win (and the whistle from her father was adorable) and I was happy to have Slumdog Millionaire win best picture (I saw 3 of the 5 nominees and of the ones I saw I liked it the best).
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

FORT Fogey

I really really like the tributes given from past winners to the current nominees. For me, the look on Anne Hathaways' face, and the tears in her eye told the story as to why it was such a great thing to do. It is a very special night for all five of the nominees, but usually only one really gets to be celebrated. By announcing the nominees the way they did, it gave each nominee a chance to have a "moment" even if they didn't win.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3342044;
    , but Angelina Jolie gets the stiff cue card reading from Nicole Kidman. Nice.
    That was the first moment in my life where I was wishing that at some point, Jennifer Anniston had won an Oscar. I know that even if she had, it woudln't have happened, but can you imagine what great TV it would have been if Jennifer Anniston was reading the tribute to Angelina Jolie?

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;3342185;
    I really really like the tributes given from past winners to the current nominees. For me, the look on Anne Hathaways' face, and the tears in her eye told the story as to why it was such a great thing to do. It is a very special night for all five of the nominees, but usually only one really gets to be celebrated. By announcing the nominees the way they did, it gave each nominee a chance to have a "moment" even if they didn't win.

That was the first moment in my life where I was wishing that at some point, Jennifer Anniston had won an Oscar. I know that even if she had, it woudln't have happened, but can you imagine what great TV it would have been if Jennifer Anniston was reading the tribute to Angelina Jolie?
    I too liked the new format.. i found it touching. This is about the people who play a part.. and in past shows we always see the part they play, it was so nice to see the people behind the role.

I had to throw some popcorn at the tv when in the opening, Hugh mentioned Brad and Angie, and the look on her face was so 'how dare you say my name' , I am so over them, and wouldnt give a flying fig if they left the planet and went to adopt babies on Mars.

I was more than happy to see such a wonderful woman win Best Actress, I have nothing but respect for Kate. You Go Giril!
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3342044;
    If I had a body like Jessica Biel's, I don't think I'd be walking around in a beige garbage bag. Who told her she should wear that thing?
    She looked awful, imo.
    It wasn't even a nice dress that just didn't fit her well, it was a horrible dress. Very poor choice.

I don't think that would have made great tv at all.
    It would have been trash tv and the height of poor taste, imo.
    "That's Numberwang!"

I liked the new format, I thought it was really sweet.
    Hugh Jackman really brightened my night! Ditto on the loving a man who can sing and dance.
    I'm not sure if there is anything I love more than a grand musical number! I must have cried almost 10 times during the show.
    When they kept showing people tearing up in the crowd during the acceptance speech for Heath Ledger
    I kept thinking: Look at these Pros, I would have been a running mascara mess.
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

+ Reply to Thread