+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Marley & Me - ending question

FORT Fogey

Re: Marley & Me - ending question

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3260717;
    I can't read the Yearling and avoid Old Yeller.

I did read Marley and it was a fabulous book, but sad at the end. But the rest of it was worth reading. And i don't say that often because I can't stand books or movies where the dog dies. One of the reasons I didn't watch I am Legend until just recently.

But I also read Merle's Door recently and loved it as well. And I cried at the end of it too.
    Granted, the theatre was subdued as we walked out; however, this is the kind of movie that for several days later you remember something that happened and you break out laughing.
    Yes, it was sad, but dad-gum that dog was funny. We will probably get it when it comes out on rentals and watch it again.
    If grace is an ocean, we're all drowning.

- John McMillan

FORT Newbie

I watched the movie in 2 parts on one of those free sites. I was so into the first half because it was so cute & funny....I have a black lab....I could really identify with almost everything that they were going through. I had never read the book or knew anything about this movie other than it was a "comedy"......and the first half was!!!! However the second half was not. I was soooooo crying....no weeping....at the end of this movie that I thought it was HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hated this movie!!!! I would watch the first half many more times.....but I NEVER want to see the second half again!!! These things happen I know however I want to watch a movie to lift my spirits. I want my comedy to be a comedy....all the way to the end!!! If I had set out to watch a heartwrenching movie that would be another story....I would be prepared but it was billed as a comedy!!!

In my own little corner, in my own little chair...

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3260675;
    I can't see if either. I'm still traumatized from reading Where the Red Fern Grows when I was in the 6th grade!
    My daughter read "Red Fern" in school and I read it afterwards. I was despondent for days.

I bawled after watching "Old Yeller" as a kid. I cried during "Bambi" too, but after hitting a deer while driving on the Grapevine, I don't have the same sad feelings about Bambi.

Probably won't be seeing "Marley and Me".

Premium Member

I almost went to see it last night, but then some things came up that reminded us of our own Marley and I just couldn't do it. She's been gone 5 years and it still hurts, and I'm not sure if I will ever be able to see this.

I read the book and I don't think another book has made me cry so much. Thankfully, I was alone and just kept the kleenex beside me. My friend read it on a plane while coming to visit me I don't want to see the movie as I'm sure I would be a puddle.

Yeah, this is one that I don't think I'll be able to see either. The book was so good, but so sad at the end. I only watched Bambi once, my parents told me to steer clear of Old Yeller, and I had a lot of trouble with Homeward Bound, too (and if I remember correctly, Shadow was just aging!). I have trouble with animal movies, lots of trouble.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Missyboxers;3272688;
    Yeah, this is one that I don't think I'll be able to see either. The book was so good, but so sad at the end. I only watched Bambi once, my parents told me to steer clear of Old Yeller, and I had a lot of trouble with Homeward Bound, too (and if I remember correctly, Shadow was just aging!). I have trouble with animal movies, lots of trouble.
    Me too and Homeward Bound was hard because they were lost.

If anyone wanted to torture me for information, forget waterboarding, just threaten to make me watch Old Yellar or Bambi or read The Yearling. I'd spill my guts before they got the DVD turned on.

I figure any movie or book about an animal is going to be sad. However, that said, I think the ONLY 2 books that I read about dogs that I really liked despite the sadness was this one and Merle's Door.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Loved the movie and the book (and I'm usually a 'loved the book, hated the movie' person) I read the book shortly after my beloved 15 year old black Lab died thinking it was a funny story about a family and a dog. It wasn't until I was about halfway through and realized how much time he was covering that I did the math and realized what I had gotten into. I cried hard over the book and movie but laughed through the tears so many times, it was worth it to me. I miss my girl so much, but there is something about seeing other dogs as quirky and wonderful, and other families so completely in love with their four-legged friend that makes me feel less alone in my grief. I really thought the movie did the book justice.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12