+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Best Picture of 2008 - pet peeves

Best Picture of 2008 - pet peeves

About a week or so ago I heard the movies that recieved Best Picture Awards at the Golden Globes and those that have been nominated for the Academy Awards. Those films are Doubt, Milk and The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. At the time the annoucements came out none of those films, except Milk and that was limited release, were even showing in any theaters. I find it very hard to believe that with only 8 days left in the year those films are the best of 2008. Dark Knight and Ironman of course are not even mentioned regardless of the money they made. I guess the opinion of the viewing public doesn't count with the critics. There is something very wrong with a system that annouces Best Film of the Year no one except the critics have seen.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

CCL

Re: Best Picture of 2008 - pet peeves

I guess it depends on how you define "best." Iron Man and Dark Knight did make a lot of money, so maybe one could qualify them as being best pictures in that respect. But in terms of being good movies to watch, I wouldn't put either of them at the top of the list (I felt Dark Knight was far too long and that Iron Man was boring).
    I don't know if Doubt, Milk and The Curious Case of Benjamin Button are any good (and I don't particularly want to see any of them). I'm trying to think of a movie I saw this year that I liked "best"....but none is coming immediately to mind.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

The movie I liked best this year? Pineapple Express. I can totally see why it wouldn't be nominated for Best Picture, though.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

To be honest I think this year was a poor year for the film industry. What I don't understand is when you have a multimillion dollar budget you can not get a good story. I must say out of all the films I saw this year I enjoyed Ironman and KungFu Panda the most because they had a beginning a middle and satisfying ending. They had good guys and bad guys and had some surprise twists. I was expecting nothing from Robert Downey Jr as Tony Stark and he did a brillant job (I also have never been an Ironman fan). I normally can't stand Jack Black's movies but I loved the Panda character. Oh, before I forget The Bank Job was wonderful but I guess few saw it. That led me to see Transporter 3 and again it was a much better action film than Quantum of Solace.

So altogether 4 films that were good. That's sad.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

+ Reply to Thread