+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What are your favourite Christmas movies?

Re: What are your favourite Christmas movies?

I don't much like Christmas movies, but I love The Ref. I haven't watched it for ages...time for a run to Blockbuster.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Love Actually
    Elf
    The one with the abominable snowman and the elf who wants to be a dentist
    How the Grinch Stole Christmas (the cartoon original)

Pretty much any holiday movie.. I just love Christmas!

I also enjoy The Holiday - a chick flick with some Christmas spirit added in

Ooh, I like the Holiday. Total guilty pleasure. It's like a Lifetime movie with a bigger budget. And I am in love with Jack Black (I need therapy, I know).

I love The Year Without a Santa Claus ... with the heat miser and snow miser. And I am one of a few, apparently, who remember and love the spoof of O. Henry's Gift of the Magi a la muppets, Emmet Otter's Jug Band Christmas. I do enjoy A Christmas Story, but only because the narrative is like the voice in my brain, only deeper.
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

I love The Holiday too! I can almost forget about what heel Jude Law is when I watch him that movie!

I've been watching WAY too much Lifetime, Hallmark and Family Channel over the last few weeks!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_angel;3255603;
    Love Actually
    Elf
    The one with the abominable snowman and the elf who wants to be a dentist
    How the Grinch Stole Christmas (the cartoon original)

Pretty much any holiday movie.. I just love Christmas!
    That would be Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer.........one of my faves...!

Every season I have to watch "Christmas Vacation"...the squirrel scene still cracks me up

I also like:
    Rudolph
    Elf
    Miracle on 34th Street (the 1973 Sebastian Cabot/David Hartman version)
    Cartoon version of How the Grinch Stole Christmas
    Jack Frost (Michael Keaton)

I also don't get the appeal of "The Christmas Story" and have never seen all of it.
    I can't watch "Frosty the Snowman" because I inevitably break down and cry every time so now I no longer watch it!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

I watched Holiday Inn last night...I had seen it last probably about 40 years ago so I was shocked to see the portrayal of the housekeeper and her kids. Also the blackface scenes in the Abraham Lincoln holiday show.... My daughter's jaw dropped when she saw those scenes. I definitely like White Christmas better than this movie.

As for How the Grinch Stole Christmas - my choice was the animated original version as well!

There was a movie called "The Gathering" that I loved. It was holiday-themed but also sad.
    I never see it anymore but it remains one of my favorites I also really like the Whitney Houston holiday movie where she hangs out with the angel....The Preachers Wife? It used to be on every year and I would wrap presents while I watched it.
    CYA

A Christmas Story
    The Year Without A Santa Claus
    All 3 Santa Clause movies (Tim Allen)
    How the Grinch Stole Christmas (Jim Carrey)
    Christmas Vacation
    Rudolph & Rudolph's Shiny New Year
    Elf
    Nestor the Long-Eared Christmas Donkey. (If you get the deluxe edition of Year Without a Santa Claus, Nestor is included in as well as Rudoph's Shiny New Year
    Santa Claus is Coming to Town and
    Charlie Brown Christmas "Ack! I've been kissed by a dog. I've got dog cooties. Get some iodine! Get some disinfectant!" LOL
    ETA: I forgot about Jack Frost (Michael Keaton) and
    The Christmas Shoes (the book made me cry so I had to watch the movie and that was even more of a tear-jerker. If you haven't seen it, try to find it at your local video store and rent it. You won't be disappointed. It stars Rob Lowe and Kimberly Williams-Paisley. I also recommend reading the book which you should be able to find at your local bookstore (more so at a Christian bookstore but it should be at others, too.) It's a beautiful story and I suggest you have kleenex handy.
    Last edited by nilesgirl; 12-26-2008 at 09:53 AM.
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

My husband and I have a collection of many of the Scrooge/Christmas Carol movies including:

1930s - unknown actor as Scrooge
    1930 - Reginald Owen as Scrooge
    1950s ? - Alistair Sim " "
    1960's - Albert Finney " " (this is the musical one and my personal favorite as I saw it in the theater when I was probably 8 or 9)
    1970's? - An American Christmas Carol with Henry Winkler - this is the one I'm looking for currently.
    1980's - George C. Scott as Scrooge (with the BEST ghost of Christmas present ever!)
    Also Bill Murray in Scrooged (a really great updated version)
    1990's - Patrick Stewart as Scrooge

Also many animated ones including Mr. Magoo's, Muppets and Mickey Mouse's versions.
    And probably quite a few horrible versions that we decided not to buy! lol
    Yep....we're hopeless!

Also love all the old cartoons - Charlie Brown, original Grinch, Rudolph, Little Drummer Boy, Frosty, etc.

I do like the Christmas Story but my mom can't stand it. I don't know why, I find it charming and endearing. I think the "cult" aspect has come about simply because of the merchandising - its pretty easy to merchandise a leg lamp with fishneck stockings!

Does anyone else remember "The Homecoming"? It was the original Waltons tv movie. Patricia Neal played the mother and some of the kids were the same actors (like John Boy). Very well-done and not shown very much any more.
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. A. Schweitzer

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast