+ Reply to Thread
Page 35 of 37 FirstFirst ... 25262728293031323334353637 LastLast

Thread: Twilight: New Moon

Re: Twilight: New Moon

Quote Originally Posted by FireWoman;3754870;
    good choice.. my daughter HAD to go last night, i did the 420 show.. and each time jacob took his shirt off.. the whole place would scream. sigh im too old for this lol
    I've heard horror stories about the fans in the movies. Luckily, it wasn't like that for us. After the employee threatened to toss anyone who got too loud and without a refund, it stayed pretty calm. I guess the teenies were afraid he meant business. There were some seriously loud 'gasps' and 'oooohs' but no screaming. Even the laughter was subdued. Frankly, it was noisier in the film we watched tonight (The Blind Side).

And Taylor definitely proved that he was the right person for the role of Jacob.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Likes Scottish Vikings! talldede's Avatar

This movie is shattering box office records. It's projected to make $140 million this weekend, WOW!

Early estimates: “New Moon” takes in $43M Sat, $140M weekend #3 all-time

Posting and then running: (Before I rip please know that I had my 9 year old and 11 year old with me and they ADORED this movie, me: not so much!)
    YUK YUK YUK YUK!! I laughed the whole way at the parts I shouldn't have. It was HYSTERICAL. I mean yeah, Taylor has a rockin' bod, BUT BOYFRIEND CAN"T ACT!! I know, I know, when you look like that you don't need talent, but every time he opened his mouth he took me right out of the movie and not in a good way! And they hardly ever let him smile, I happen to think his smile is is BEST part. The movie is s l o w...and did I say boring????? I wanted to SLAP Bella!
    b o r i n g and s l o w make for a BAD movie. The only one worse this year is Fame.

Well I'm glad to say that I thought it was MUCH better than Twilight, especially with the acting. Apart from a few places with questionable(bad/over the top) acting, I thought Kristin improved(she also fixed her blinking problem!). And I was also glad that everyone, apart from the Volturi and Laurent, wasn't as disturbingly pale as in Twilight.

Now, since New Moon wasn't as bad as Twilight, it allowed me to focus on smaller details that bothered me. The film score, I thought, was EXTREMELY overbearing in pretty much the whole movie. I like the big orchestral scores a lot, but it just seemed out of place and I wish they would have kept it simplistic like in Twilight. Also, I was not a big fan of the CGI work on the wolves........they seemed WAY to cartoony, although it could probably be attributed to the budget and maybe less experienced animators.

I'm going to a 10am showing on Wednesday. I'm hoping that the very early showing won't have so many shrieking tweens!! I'm really glad to hear that so many people think it was better than Twilight!!

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;3754841;
    I get really nauseous in handheld camera movies...e.g., Blair Witch... is this like that? I need to sit on the end of a row if so!
    There were a couple of scenes where I had to close my eyes -- when they pan around her in the forest after he leaves; I had to close my eyes then. And then there was another time when I had to look away b/c my stomach was starting to get queasy-- but I definitely wouldn't give up a good seat for it!

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;3755009;
    I'm going to a 10am showing on Wednesday. I'm hoping that the very early showing won't have so many shrieking tweens!! I'm really glad to hear that so many people think it was better than Twilight!!
    My husband and I went to the 10 a.m. show on Friday for that exact reason and instead of screaming teens, it was a theater full of swooning 28 & up women!! My husband called it a major cougar convention and said he should've been given a shirt that said "I survived the premiere of New Moon." LOL!! I plan on sneaking back after Thanksgiving break is over for another early show.
    Last edited by cantstopwatchin; 11-22-2009 at 06:59 PM.
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

ďI donít want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my painÖ It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.Ē - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie5632;3752223;
    I completely agree about Kristen. I thought maybe I just didn't like her as Bella because Bella to me was different, but Adventureland just confirmed it. She seems to think that acting involves moving her hair, biting her lip or snorting and looking to the side. Taylor Swift was on SNL two Saturdays ago and they did a Digital Short called "Firelight" that was a total parody of Twilight and she was HYSTERICAL with the hair and the lip.
    Add "nodding and/or shaking head slightly to convey added depth and emotion" and "furrowing her brow" and I'd say you nailed it! The whole time, I sat there thinking that if I were playing a drinking game with even one of her trademark acting moves, I would have been drunk 20 minutes into the movie. She's not exactly long on range, that's for sure.

I also thought some of the makeup was surprisingly bad. As my friend said, "I shouldn't consciously be aware of Bella's eyeshadow throughout the movie. If I am, the makeup artists aren't doing their job." And we were definitely the only people in the theater laughing at certain points, but the over-the-top lines that seem designed to make women swoon don't do it for me.

It's funny, I have had a lot of problems with the character and portrayal of Bella since the beginning. I don't think KStew is Bella (either from the books or the movies, although I find the Bella character about as entertaining and lovable as a pile of sand (in you know where))...BUT I felt like this version (New Moon) of her is more believable as a love interest for characters like Jacob and Edward than her first/other representations.

To further explain, even after reading all the books I still wonder why the heck Edward and Jacob would choose someone like Bella--she just seemed boring and dull to me (and, yes, I know the lecture of how she is supposed to represent the normal girl who is chosen, which makes her like everyone or whatever (minus the intoxicating, special blood and non-mind reading thing that always made it seem pre-destined to me...and im not a fan of that)) and not the person wonderful characters like Jake and Edward would choose, but whatever. In fact, I read the books for Edward, the wolves, the Cullens and the Italian royal family (the dynamics there were far more interesting than the fated love story). So, anyhow, the Bella in the books did nothing for me.

Then the first movie came out and I thought that KStew was nothing like the Bella from the books...she was harder and seemed kind of indifferent towards everything. To repeat...we have these amazing guys who are obsessed with her? I thought we might see something new in the character that made us go "WOW, no wonder these guys love this amazing gal," but, alas no: Bella in the first Twilight (as portrayed by KStew) was simply dissapointing--making me go "huh?"

Fortunately, New Moon was slightly different, and I'm happy to say that although KStew's character doesn't represent the Bella from the books, this is the only representation that seems to make any sense. Finally, a girl hopelessly dedicated but still real AND clever, funny, & kind...there was just something likeable about her. This is a character I could see someone like Edward Cullen, an all-powerful immortal capable of almost anything who has chosen a moral existence in spite of his nature, truly loving. This is a character I can see someone like the mischevious, good, gentle-natured Jacob Black adore. Overall, I guess I can accept the love triangle a bit more with this installment.

As for the rest of the movie, many kudos to the writers and directors for not getting lost in an endless, mind-numbing love fest. New Moon proved to be clever, witty and even ridiculously hilarious at times. Minus the sore absence of the entire Cullens family (I know they do not play a large role in the novel but their presence really brings a lot to the screen) most of the characters were treated with respect and did not fade into the background as mere supporting actors in the plot (and bravo to the "humans" who nearly stole the show). All in all, much better than the first...and perhaps a band-aid for all the people rubbed the wrong way by Bella, KStew, or both.
    Last edited by mindy384; 11-23-2009 at 12:30 AM.

Mindy, I agree about Bella in NM. In the first one, she always looked tired or sick. Dark circles and that gawd awful blue eyeshadow. This time, she looked healthy and her hair looked a lot better. She was actually quite pretty in NM. Bella is supposed to be beautiful but not in an obvious way and that never came across in Twilight.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

I just watched New Moon. I did ask the theatre people what was the best time to come to avoid screaming tweens. Basically early afternoon while they are still in school and after 10pm. I was at the 3:30pm show (Monday). Only abut 100 people in a 400 seat theatre. Great choice in seats.

Worst time to come, Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

I am not a fan of Twilight, I think that that are much better paranormal stories in the young adult genre. I am a fan of paranormal romances, urban fantasy, and scifi and fantasy.

I must say that I though New Moon was a better film than Twilight. The production values, the editing, the camera work, the music were all of a higher quality than the first film. I liked the werewolves and I liked how the special effects people handled the sparkles of the vampire skin in daylight.

Kristin Stewart looked better and acted better in New Moon than in Twilight. Whoever did her makeup did manage to make her look younger and more innocent like the Bella character. I was pleasantly surprised. I also think that she got it through her thick head that this movie could really change her career and she therefor put much more effort into her acting and it shows.

Why oh why does Edward always look as if he is wearing lipstick. It is very distracting especially in closeups.

Why were some of the vampire eyes golden and others red?

What I found rather strange is all the hoopla over the actor playing Jacob and how he got into a training program and gained 40lb of muscle. I must say he did look good, but why did Embry and Paul look so scrawny in closeups. Those are the dudes that also needed training. Hey the devil is in the details. The werewolf pack was supposed to consist of guys hitting 6'4" plus inches who look as if they are in their mid 20's not teens and I don't think any of these actors met that requirement. In comparison Robert Patterson looked very scrawny indeed.

But what I liked least about this film was how Loooooooooooonnnnnnnnng it took to get anyway. It is 2 hours long. I started looking at my watch after the first 45 minutes wondering when anything was going to happen. That is a bad sign when you start checking your watch. Then another hour and still nothing has happened. Yeah, we got to see Bella ride and fall of a motorcycle, meet Laurent, see Victoria, see the werewolves, but all the action took what, at most 5 minutes and the movie only has about 20 minutes more to run. 10 minutes max with the Volturi and then its over. The movie, like Ms. Meyers books needs some very harsh editing to pare down anything that does not advance the story. I hate to think what Elipse is like as not much happens in that tome either.
    Last edited by Bearcata; 11-23-2009 at 09:37 PM.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

+ Reply to Thread