+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 37 FirstFirst ... 131415161718192021222324252627282930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: Twilight: New Moon

Re: Twilight: New Moon

Okay, serious question here. Do you guys think I should invest in these books or just stick with the movies?:
    First, I heard that the books are more young adult oriented and filled with high-school angst that some may find unappealing/juvenile/annoying. Second, I blazed through the Southern Vampire Series and I fear that everything I read in this particular genre will now have to measure up to dear sookie. Finally, how close is the movie to the book, meaning, if I pick up the first book will I feel as if I am on repeat since I already saw the film?

I trust you all way more than the review sites...so please share your thoughts!

Read the books!!!! There is so much more in the books than you will ever get from the movie!! I went on a reading binge with all 4 of them last summer. I was up several nights, all night long because I didn't want to put them down. IMO I didn't think they were really appropriate for most younger teenagers. I really did fall head over heels for the books. I am a 31 year old married mother of 3 kids and I loved them. (and it was a mother of 3 that recommended them to me in the first place) In fact, on Stephanie Meyer's website she posted the first 200 and some odd pages of Midnight Sun, which is Twilight but from Edward's perspective. I found that after reading Midnight Sun that the movie actually made more sense. It is facinating from his point of view. If you don't want to invest in buying them, go to the library.

I am now anticipating the New Moon movie and can't wait to see it in November!!! <3

Quote Originally Posted by mindy384;3531750;
    Okay, serious question here. Do you guys think I should invest in these books or just stick with the movies?:
    First, I heard that the books are more young adult oriented and filled with high-school angst that some may find unappealing/juvenile/annoying. Second, I blazed through the Southern Vampire Series and I fear that everything I read in this particular genre will now have to measure up to dear sookie. Finally, how close is the movie to the book, meaning, if I pick up the first book will I feel as if I am on repeat since I already saw the film?

I am 29 and was told to read the series during my vacation. I am not the type of person who is into vampires and such... But I started the book a few months back and literally for three days could not put the series down. It's an easy read but I was hooked. It is FANTASTIC. Amazing love story, lots of action etc. It is about high school stuff but I can't explain it, it just goes beyond that and hooks you in. I was VERY disappointed with the move Twilight. But then after watching is a dozen more times it warmed up to me. New Moon looks like it will be more in line with the book. It's a great series and definetly read the series before you see the movies.
    The Buffalo Bills Will Win A Superbowl Someday!!!

Okay, serious question here. Do you guys think I should invest in these books or just stick with the movies?
    I completely agree with the other posters, read the books!! I didn't think the movie was all that convincing when it came to how fast Bella and Edward "connected". It was much more understandable and convincing having read the books. I am guessing it will be similar with the other films. They are very fast to read and so easy to get caught up in!

ETA - I am a mid-30s mom also. While the story is a lot of high school stuff I think it connected with the residual teenager hidden inside me!

I think what is so appealing about the books/movies to me is that the relationship between the characters has the kind of passion that is so unique and rare in real life.

I'm excited to see how they do the Edward hallucinations in the movie. The wolf pack looks great and the special effects were better than I dared hope they would be!

Even K-Stew seems to be growing on me. She dosn't seem as blase and dismissive of her role as she did when the first movie was coming out.
    Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens. J.R.R. Tolkien

Have you seen the first movie yet? With the second movie coming out this what October/November you may want to wait. I usually perfer to read the books after I see the movie else I pick apart the movie wondering why they didn't include this scene or that scene and why oh why did they leave that out and why did they change the sequence of some events. That being said, I am not a rabid fan and reading the books ahead of time left me familiar enough with the plot but not frantic that the movie was not exactly like the book. I do think the books do go into more depth about how Bella feels and you have a better understanding of why and how deeply she feels for Edward. I felt that the first movie just didn't seem to get that intensity of feeling. Overall I think you should go to the local library and either get the books or get the audiobooks and listen to them. In fact search your library's online catalog and see what they have. I found it much easier to listen to the books then to read them. It is also easier on your wallet to go the library. Also my library has digital downloads and you can download a readable version to your pc or kindle or download the audiobooks to your MP3 player.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CaliLily;3531958;
    I think what is so appealing about the books/movies to me is that the relationship between the characters has the kind of passion that is so unique and rare in real life.

I'm excited to see how they do the Edward hallucinations in the movie. The wolf pack looks great and the special effects were better than I dared hope they would be!

Even K-Stew seems to be growing on me. She dosn't seem as blase and dismissive of her role as she did when the first movie was coming out
    I don't think she will ever grow on me.. sadly.. I wanted Bella to be cast so well, and they did fail (imo). Yes she has shut up about this not being a real movie and all, but is still a poor Bella.
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

Definitely read the books. I'm a 47 married woman and held out for awhile (yes, I was aboooove it all! lol) but after picking up Twilight at a garage sale, I was hooked. There is so much more detail and humor in the books. I would check local used bookstores for copies before paying retail if you decide you want copies to keep.

I have to laugh...I love Rob and not too crazy about KStew and my sister is just the opposite. For some unknown reason she likes Kristen and had a hard time with Rob. Of course I'm right!!
    Last edited by Gala62; 06-29-2009 at 01:25 PM.
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. A. Schweitzer

PWS
    FORT Fogey

I'm way older than all the other posters and I whizzed through the first two books. Yes, there's teen angst, but that's actually fun to read about when you aren't a teen any more--takes you back (and reminds me how much nicer life is as a grown up). I'm holding out for the paperback versions of the later books as I like to own all of a series and I bought the first 2 in paperback.

I did have some quibbles about their relationship (see the thread about who hates the series in the Books thread), but it is definitely a good read regardless. Totally different than the Sookie series, and I admit I'm glad I read Sookie after Twilight as Sookie's a more appealing central character, but still I think you'd enjoy it. As you no doubt know SM changes a number of things in the vampire canon, so you have to be able to accept a new approach to vampire lore.

After I read all the Twilight books I then went on an read Interview With A Vampire, The Vampire Lestat and Queen of The Damned. I loved those books too, even with the differences and similarities to Twilight. I then, by total accident, stumbled upon True Blood (Sookie Stackhouse Novels). I had never been a vampire fan, but I think it is the unusual sort of love story that has me hooked on all these books. Each one has its own unique perspective on the Vampire love story. Twlight by far was my favorite because it seems to have the most pure love story out of them all. My heart fluttered non stop reading Midnight Sun (Twlight from Edward's perspective).

You really have to be able to seperate each series to appreciate them for what they are.

(Edward is my hands down favorite!!! I wish they would have let Robert Pattinson speak with is yummy British accent, gawd I am such a sucker for accents!!!!)
    Last edited by kewtiebaby; 06-29-2009 at 03:01 PM. Reason: can't believe I flubbed book titles!! lols

+ Reply to Thread