+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Star Trek - May 8 2009

Re: Star Trek - May 8 2009

Duxxy, when her name was said, everyone was laughing at how Kirk was looking at her and Spock, so I had a hard time hearing it. So I looked it up for you on Wikipedia. This is what they had to say.

Click to see Spoiler:
    Name

Roddenberry had intended his new female communications officer to be called Lieutenant Sulu.[2] Solow pointed out how similar this was to "Zulu" and thought it might act against the plan for racial diversity in the show, so the name Sulu remained with George Takei's character. [6] "Uhura" comes from the Swahili word uhuru, which means "freedom". Nichols states in her book Beyond Uhura that the name was inspired by her having had with her a copy of the book Black Uhuru on the day she read for the part. When Justman explained to Roddenberry what the word "uhuru" meant, he changed it to Uhura and adopted that as the character's name.[6]

Uhura's first name was not used in Star Trek canon until Abrams' 2009 film, in a scene where the young Spock calls her "Nyota" in a moment of intimacy. Although other names had been suggested, "Nyota" has been the most common:

* In appearances at Star Trek conventions, Nichols had indicated that the character is "Nyota (U)penda Uhura".[7]; perhaps coincidentally, in Nichols' 1996 novel Saturn's Child she named the mother of the titular character "Nyota".
    * When writing the licensed tie-in, Star Trek II Biographies for Pocket Books, author William Rotsler contacted Nichelle Nichols and sought her approval for using the name "Nyota", and this name started appearing in original Star Trek novels, such as Uhura's Song by Janet Kagan.
    * That "Nyota" is the Swahili word for "star" is mentioned by William Shatner in his book, Star Trek Memories.
    * Startrek.com uses the name Nyota on their character biography page for the Animated Series but not on the TOS biography page.
    * "Nyota" was also used as Uhura's first name when Nichols reprised the character in the fan film Star Trek: Of Gods and Men.

Until the 2009 film became part of the franchise's canon, "Nyota" was one of three possibilities; the other two are "Penda" and "Samara":

* According to FASA's deprecated Star Trek RPG, Uhura's first name is "Samara".
    * The non-canon book The Best of Trek suggests that Uhura's first name is "Penda", coined when a group of fanzine authors suggested it to her at an early convention.

In the 2009 film, the mystery regarding Uhura's first name is the subject of a running joke as Kirk repeatedly tries to find out what it is, before finally hearing Spock utter it.

In Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country Uhura's name is misspelled as "Uhuru" in the credits.

Uhura - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

I have never been anywhere near being a Trekkie, but what do you know - I've seen the movie 3 times now, and I STILL love it! This may definitely turn out to be in my top 5 favorite movies this year - And it takes a lot for me to like a movie this much! Also, I thought it was funny that I could tell who was a Trekkie in my theater because of what jokes they would laugh at, and when Nimoy appeared. Plus at the end my theater actually applauded, which doesn't usually happen much.

Thanks Star!
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer;3453076;
    Duxxy, when her name was said, everyone was laughing at how Kirk was looking at her and Spock, so I had a hard time hearing it. So I looked it up for you on Wikipedia. This is what they had to say.

Click to see Spoiler:
    Name

Roddenberry had intended his new female communications officer to be called Lieutenant Sulu.[2] Solow pointed out how similar this was to "Zulu" and thought it might act against the plan for racial diversity in the show, so the name Sulu remained with George Takei's character. [6] "Uhura" comes from the Swahili word uhuru, which means "freedom". Nichols states in her book Beyond Uhura that the name was inspired by her having had with her a copy of the book Black Uhuru on the day she read for the part. When Justman explained to Roddenberry what the word "uhuru" meant, he changed it to Uhura and adopted that as the character's name.[6]

Uhura's first name was not used in Star Trek canon until Abrams' 2009 film, in a scene where the young Spock calls her "Nyota" in a moment of intimacy. Although other names had been suggested, "Nyota" has been the most common:

* In appearances at Star Trek conventions, Nichols had indicated that the character is "Nyota (U)penda Uhura".[7]; perhaps coincidentally, in Nichols' 1996 novel Saturn's Child she named the mother of the titular character "Nyota".
    * When writing the licensed tie-in, Star Trek II Biographies for Pocket Books, author William Rotsler contacted Nichelle Nichols and sought her approval for using the name "Nyota", and this name started appearing in original Star Trek novels, such as Uhura's Song by Janet Kagan.
    * That "Nyota" is the Swahili word for "star" is mentioned by William Shatner in his book, Star Trek Memories.
    * Startrek.com uses the name Nyota on their character biography page for the Animated Series but not on the TOS biography page.
    * "Nyota" was also used as Uhura's first name when Nichols reprised the character in the fan film Star Trek: Of Gods and Men.

Until the 2009 film became part of the franchise's canon, "Nyota" was one of three possibilities; the other two are "Penda" and "Samara":

* According to FASA's deprecated Star Trek RPG, Uhura's first name is "Samara".
    * The non-canon book The Best of Trek suggests that Uhura's first name is "Penda", coined when a group of fanzine authors suggested it to her at an early convention.

In the 2009 film, the mystery regarding Uhura's first name is the subject of a running joke as Kirk repeatedly tries to find out what it is, before finally hearing Spock utter it.

In Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country Uhura's name is misspelled as "Uhuru" in the credits.

Uhura - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    you know i never noticed that and i wonder if our local star trek fan club did..we are having a meeting Saturday and I will be sure to point this out to them and tell them that you pointed it out to me..lol
    SAVE THE WHALES..THE OCEANS DIE..WE DIE!!!

Likes Scottish Vikings! talldede's Avatar

I just saw this movie this past weekend. WOW! I was so impressed. The action, the humor and the number one thing I loved, the casting, that was spot on. I'm not a trekkie, I don't know much other than watching the occasional show back in the 70's, but for the casual observer, I was highly entertained.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

FINALLY got to see this this weekend. Still a good crowd although the multiplex is only doing 2 showings a day now.
    I really enjoyed it, although missed a couple of lines due to "crowd noise" that I'm hoping someone can help with. As Kirk and Spock are about to beamed down to stop the drill thing that is going to make earth a black hole and Uhura comes to kiss him good by, she says something "sentimental" like, I'm going to be monitoring your functions... Kirk is meanwhile kind of goggle eyed watching this and Spock tosses off a one liner that I totally missed. Anyone know what it was... something good apparently as everyone else broke up. Grrr..

Have talked to one of my sons and he also loved it, but sadly, my sig. other did not. Too bad, as I had hopes from what everyone wrote that it would appeal to non-Trekkies. Still too many crash bangs and fights for the S. O.

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;3516533;
    FINALLY got to see this this weekend. Still a good crowd although the multiplex is only doing 2 showings a day now.
    I really enjoyed it, although missed a couple of lines due to "crowd noise" that I'm hoping someone can help with. As Kirk and Spock are about to beamed down to stop the drill thing that is going to make earth a black hole and Uhura comes to kiss him good by, she says something "sentimental" like, I'm going to be monitoring your functions... Kirk is meanwhile kind of goggle eyed watching this and Spock tosses off a one liner that I totally missed. Anyone know what it was... something good apparently as everyone else broke up. Grrr..

Have talked to one of my sons and he also loved it, but sadly, my sig. other did not. Too bad, as I had hopes from what everyone wrote that it would appeal to non-Trekkies. Still too many crash bangs and fights for the S. O.
    I believe that is the part where her first name was mentioned.
    So when Uhura leaves Kirk says "Her first name is...(whenever it was)
    And Spock says something like "I have no comment on the matter"
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

I took my Dad to see this for Father's Day and WOW was the movie brilliant. I didn't check my watch once and that never happens with me. I think I enjoyed it more than my Dad and brother.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetNerd;3516704;
    I believe that is the part where her first name was mentioned.
    So when Uhura leaves Kirk says "Her first name is...(whenever it was)
    And Spock says something like "I have no comment on the matter"
    Thank you, CN!

Let me preface this.. I have never seen a Star Trek movie, tv show, special etc. I knew the basic characters by name but nothing in depth. I was not looking forward to seeing this since I am not a sci fi person at all... I got dragged to the movie and boy was I suprised. I was genuinely entertained. Fantastic movie.
    The Buffalo Bills Will Win A Superbowl Someday!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast