+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Star Trek - May 8 2009

Re: Star Trek - May 8 2009

I am doing the bouncy giddy dance about going to see it tonight. I'll be so bummed if it's a let down!
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

I sat there last night and watched TVGuide channel's 'premiere show'. It just looks amazing!!!

but, I'm not the type to head out on opening weekends - don't do well with crowds. But I will definltely be seeing it in the first few weeks (if I can wait that long)
    No Rain - No Rainbows - Nextel commercial

I did hear an interview that explains how they will weave Leonard Nimoy into it.
    Click to see Spoiler:
    They will use time travel -- which is consistent with Star Trek canon. It was used in Star Trek IV and in several episodes of the original series. It's a theme not unknown to J.J. Abrams.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

That's all I have to say at the moment.

I just got back a little while ago, and I thought it was a GREAT movie!

What I liked most about the movie was the pacing, and balance of humor, drama, and action. The acting was really good, and believable, the music was excellent(composed by one of my favorite recent movie composers - Michael Giacchino), and the story was intriguing.

I think this set the bar way too high for the other summer action blockbusters coming out. I think they could learn a lesson from the balance of story and action, rather than just focusing on the explosions(I'm looking at you Transformers 2, Terminator4, G.I. Joe, etc)

I agree. It was a very good balance. There was a lot of laughing in my cinema, but I never found myself groaning at the obviousness of the jokes. I was laughing right along at the light hearted nods. They kept just enough of the campy essence of the original characters without making the movie a spoof or impersonation. While I could nit pick a couple of the scientific flaws, or
    Click to see Spoiler:
    the fact that the Romulans didn't look very romulan-y to me
    I will let those things slide because I just enjoyed the overall ride so much.

Click to see Spoiler:
    I looked it up (being the nerd I am) and the OFFICIAL Trek Wiki says that there were some Romulans born without the distinguishing ridges that we remember from ST:TNG, the other movies, etc. So its not completely far fetched that Nero and his band of merry men were without ridges.

I have to say, Memory Alpha is one of the best if not THE best collection of Star Trek info I have ever seen. I had to laugh, they may be tooting their horn a little, but they claim the screenwriters and other members of the crew unfamiliar to ST canon used Memory Alpha to educate themselves, lol. I would believe it since even with my knowledge, there is a ton of ST stuff I still don't know, lol!!

FORT Fogey

Haven't seen the movie yet, but hope to do so next week. It got terrific reviews in the Washington Post newspaper. I have been a Trek fan for many years, and have enjoyed all the TV series. Hope you all "Live Long and Prosper!"

my son has tickets to take me to this movie tomorrow...the BEST mothers day present ever...lol...I can NOT wait...and for those of you that feel the "trekkie' coming out in you...join the crowd...its been years since we have had a good star trek movie...All the reviews i have read today have had only good things to say about this movie and the president of our local star trek fan club said it was awesome...

I am already reading that a 2nd movie is already in pre production...so here's to hoping we see some TRIBLES...lol
    Last edited by ButterflyFaery; 05-09-2009 at 08:18 PM.
    SAVE THE WHALES..THE OCEANS DIE..WE DIE!!!

It certainly was the best Mother's day present I have gotten yet. Husband was asking me if we could see it again tonight.
    I wish we could! A repeat show isn't in the budget unfortunately

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast