+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Death Race 2008

Death Race 2008

Wow, pleasantly surprised, very good movie. Yeah, I went to see Jason Stratham. Major drool factor. The senario is a little spooky as it is set in 2012 and the US economy has collapsed. Prisons are run soley by corporations and for profit. The warden of Terminal Island has created a webcast, subscription only "death race" for viewers. If a prisoner wins 5 races then they go free. The film is very gritty with lots of sepia tones to set up the race. Lots of blues and greys to feel the total soulsapping depression of the prison system. The story is actually quite plausible. The plot tight. The characters concise and believable. The females are used for effect without going overboard or too sleezy. While rated R the film has minimal bad language, in fact I only recall one really foul word that was used effectively and to purpose. While bloody and violent, really gory parts are more implied then shown to great effect. I am surprised that the film did recieve an R rating as I have seen much more violence and bad language in PG 13 films. Maybe it was for the view of Mr. Stratham's backside? Well, it was through prison bars and quite a distance away. Anyway it was an excellent action fillm (dispite the rather choppy first race segment, but I guess the director wanted to convey how confusing the race could be). I would give it an A.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

jmb
    FORT Fogey Word Builder Champion jmb's Avatar

Re: Death Race 2008

Thanks for the review Bearcata! I was trying to decide whether to see this or not. Now that I've read your review, I will probably go see it.

Jason Statham's backside?? I'M SOLD!

hehe... major drool factor is right.
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

jmb
    FORT Fogey Word Builder Champion jmb's Avatar

Saw "Death Race" last week. I was actually pleasantly surprised with how much I enjoyed it.
    Yes, the plot is TOTALLY predictable, but the action was good. There were a few moments where I had to look away, but for the most part it wasn't overly gory.
    All in all, an action packed fun film.
    Oh, and they showed the preview for "Transporter 3"!

Had not seen it yet, may have a try.

+ Reply to Thread