+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Twilight The Movie

Re: Twilight The Movie

This is so dorky, but I wish I had friends around here that hadn't gone yet. So I could pull the whole "oh, Sally hasn't seen it yet and wants me to go with her" act. Which is funny because, I rarely ever want to watch something again. And so many parts of the movie were laughably bad...

but I wanna seeeeeee it againnnnnnn!!! *pouts like a child*
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

Long post - sorry - but feel free to skip to the next one!

I went to the movie with, I hope, an open mind. I've had mixed feelings about it since I didn't care for Bella in the books. Even Edward wasn't my favorite. The character I like best, Jacob, has a very minor role in Twilight, so wasn't sure what to expect from the movie. I've also read good and bad about the movie - seems people were very thrilled or quite disappointed. So - to my opinion.

Still not a fan of Bella, and Edward was ok - there were a lot of moments that were very dragged out that should have been "quick glimpses". There seemed to be an awful lot of "staring at each other" and "freeze frame" moments that could/should have been eliminated. However, I like the family relationship among the Cullens and would have liked to see a lot more of the rest of the family. Especially Alice, Emmett and Jasper. James was very nice to watch ... and if it doesn't sound too creepy coming from a woman my age, I like Jacob (still) and will look forward to seeing more of him in the sequels. It's kind of sad going to see a love story knowing that you are 9 years older than the dads of the main characters .... and Charlie was quite nice to look at. He, also, should have had a bigger role.

All in all I enjoyed the movie and was pleasantly surprised by the lack of giggling and distractions from the teens in the audience. It was also nice to see that I wasn't the only non-teen encumbered "mature" one there. I'd go see it again, and will buy it when it comes out on video. I may try to force my best friend to go, just because I can guilt her into it. HA!
    I never met a piece of chocolate I didn't like.

Likes Scottish Vikings! talldede's Avatar

I'm late to the party, but so excited! I just heard about this series three weeks ago. And then started paying attention to the books, the movie, the casting, the author, who lives just down the road from me, and the phenomenon.

Should I read the book first or see the movie, that is the question? And, Robert Pattinson is incredible to look out, wow, what a hottie!

I'm a teenager, and I haven't read the books, so my post will give everyone at FoRT a different perspective on the movie. My post is going to be long, but I'd like to think that it would give everyone a different view.

First off, not all teenagers are loud and obnoxious in the movie theater. If I say so myself, my cousins and I were well-behaved and made minimal noise. I only whispered to whoever was next to me if I didn't understand something. I haven't read the books, and all 3 of them have, so I thought it was reasonable to ask them what was happening. I know that for the most part, teens make a lot of noise in the theater. I have when I went out with friends, but I still know better.

If anything, the guy behind was annoying, and he looked to be about in his late 20's, so it's not only us teens who are making the noise.

I liked the movie. Actually, I really liked the movie. I don't remember yawning a single time, and the movie is like, what, 2 hours? The story was understandable for the most part, and I thought I got to know the 2 main characters well. Though I felt that I could have known more about the other Cullens, Bella's HS friends, and Bella's mom, but apparently their roles in the books aren't big, so it's no big deal.

I think what made me like the movie was that I haven't read the series. I'm not obsessed, I'm not infatuated. Most importantly, I had no big expectations. I just decided to go with my cousins as an avid movie-goer after they invited me to come. The movie didn't have any expectations of mine that it had to please.

My cousins, on the other hand, thought it was just okay. They were disappointed that many scenes from the book were omitted, but that's expected from book-to-movie movies.

So talldede, I suggest watching the movie first before you go. You remain unspoiled, so you don't know any of the scenes ahead of time. You can just kick back and enjoy the movie. That's another reason why I enjoyed the movie more than my cousins--I didn't know what was going to happen, so I was more on the edge of my seat then they were. Then, if you'd like, you can read the book.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

Thanks for the reply CrossingGuard, I'll take your advice.

I have to disagree. Sorry CrossingGuard. I don't want to spoil it for those who have not seen the movie, but I don't think people who have not read the book will understand how Edward and Bella go from strangers to madly-in-love in just a few minutes. I've read the book twice and I thought the jump was very quick, even understanding the intensity of their feelings behind mere glances.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

Actually, I do agree with Crossing Guard, and I would watch the movie first. Even after reading the books, the jump to madly in love was unreasonable, so I don't think the books helped the movie with that.
    I re-read the Harry Potter books right before they came out, and everytime, I said it was a big mistake, because I spent the entire movie picking apart what was different or missing.

I think watching the movie is kind of like reading a quick synopsis of a book, and then deciding to read the book later for the wonderful details. I think you will be very disappointed if you read the book first this close to watching the movie.

haha I'm with Lildago here. I feel like a lot of stuff made more sense to me because I read the book first. I could enjoy the intensity of the performances between "Edward" and "Bella" because my mind was filling in the blanks and glossed over parts. Where, if I was just watching it as a standalone movie I would have gone "what the heck? these people are insane"

I'm so confused! (pulling out hair) LOL!

Thanks for all the opinions.
    Last edited by talldede; 11-23-2008 at 10:29 AM.

*lol* yeah people feel so polar about this movie. Honestly, you're either going to love it or hate it. And if you love it, you'll love the book and movie no matter what order you enjoy them in

+ Reply to Thread