+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Journey to the Center of the Earth 3D

Journey to the Center of the Earth 3D

Not bad. Much better than I thought it would be. Was the 3D really necessary? NO. But at least the glasses they gave you were a good size and could go over a pair of regular glasses with no problem.

Nice action adventure picture. No bad language. Good for kids and adults. The scary parts really were not that scary. I think they toned it down abit for the intented audience (younger kids). Really emphasized Jules Verne's original book and the Vernian Society. Hopefull it will get people to read the original book and maybe see the original movie. Overall good clean fun.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Re: Journey to the Center of the Earth 3D

I will probably rent this because I've watched all versions of the film. I love Jules Verne's books. Of those I've seen so far, I liked the original best, as I usually do. What concerns me about this one is how far off from the original book it may go. From the ads I've seen, I think it goes pretty far off track, but you've seen it and say not so, Bearcata. That will be a most pleasant surprise.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

The basic bones of the plot are the same. Yes the film has been updated to 2008. Yes the main character played by Brandon Fraser is a bit of an absent professor type. Yes he has a 13 yr old nephew and Yes the mountain guide is now a female instead of a hulking blonde Viking. The basic plot remains the same. They fall through a volcanic tube toward the center of the earth etc...don't really want to spoil the plot for those who don't know it. If you look at it also as if this is a family orientated film a little bit "disneyfied" and with a few 3D effects thrown in it is very similiar to the original movie. It was fun.

I absolutely loved this movie... had great fun in all of its cheesiness. My girlfriend and I took her son and my nephew to see it and we just laughed throughout.

I thought the new style of 3D effects were pretty cool and effective, and I don't know that I would have enjoyed this movie quite as much without them. Florimel, I would highly recommend seeing a matinee instead of waiting for it to come out on DVD. The movie is what it is so I think if you just go in expecting to be entertained, I think you will be.

Bearcata, I'm going to have to take your advice and read the book and/or rent the original movie if I can find it. I was familiar with the story, but I guess not enough to spoil it or have increased expectations so I can completely understand where you guys are coming from.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

The 3D makes it a must for theatres; it's just not the same in the smaller screens of TV sets.

Besides, 3D movies stink when viewed in 2D.

In case anyone is interested the James Mason Journey to the Center of the Earth will be on the Fox Movie Channel I think the first full week in Ausgust, Monday the 4th at 7pm. But check your local listings to be sure.

We just watched this on tv last night. I didn't know it was originally 3d. But we really enjoyed it. We watched it for family movie night and it was a good one for that. I have never seen the original movie or read the book. It has me interested a bit. My daughter didn't realize the book they were refering to was real. It was cute when Mr. Coz and I were discussing it and her eyes got big and she asked if it was a book. I think she's going to see if she can find it at her library. If not I'm sure the public library will have it.

I found this to be an entertaining movie. My main problem with it, just like I, Robot, was that it included such a miniscule amount of content from the book it was supposed to be based on. If they would just slightly modify the title, I would not object to updating it.

When they modernized Romeo and Juliet, they called it West Side Story. When they modernized La Boheme, they called it Rent. The movies could learn from the theater in this respect.

In any case, the James Mason version of this movie, while technologically limited, did follow the book much more closely and IMO was the best version so far.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by FireangelOne;3144946;
    The 3D makes it a must for theatres; it's just not the same in the smaller screens of TV sets.

Besides, 3D movies stink when viewed in 2D.
    Just had to comment that this one actually does quite well in 2D. While you don't get the full jump-back-in-your-seat effect of some of the special effects.. there are still quite a few that are fun.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

I saw this and really loved it. As I said in another thread, I was surprised at how big Brendan Fraser's arms were! I had no idea he was that built. Oh, to be the person wrapped up in those big muscle-y arms.
    I know that the James Mason version is on On Demand in the Free Movies section but I've been leery to watch it because I'm not big on old movies. Is it in Black & White or color?
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast