+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mama Mia!

Mama Mia!

May I just say, "happy happy joy joy!" *

*I wish Pierce Brosnan had been a stronger singer, otherwise, very fun, upbeat movie, cinematography absolutley lovely!

Re: Mama Mia!

I'm not going until Monday...hope it's as good as the Live stage play was! Can't Wait....LOL
    To be a Fly on the wall! Seek and ye shall find!

Meryl Streep was terrific in it. What can't she do.. Movie was fun.

I went to the opening show with a friend who was/is a huge ABBA fan. She was thrilled. I was blown away by Meryl Streep's singing - not that she was "great", but that she has the guts to go for it. I winced a few times when Pierce Brosnan was singing. I wonder if I would like him more if he hadn't been Robin Williams's competition in Mrs. Doubtfire or if his smug handsomeness would rub me the wrong way anyhow. I love the new trend in musicals (DreamGirls, Across the Universe, Mama Mia) and hope it continues. I want one with Bob Dylan songs.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Lellis819;3138083;
    I'm not going until Monday...hope it's as good as the Live stage play was! Can't Wait....LOL
    I am a HUGE fan of live musicals. I love Mama Mia! live, but have to say (aside from Pierce's singing) I liked the movie better! The photography is so beautiful to look at- so colorful and bright and stunning, Amanda could not be more gorgeous and Meryl was incredible as Donna. Add to all that Julie Walters and Christine Baranski and that movie is pure fun!

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3138404;
    I went to the opening show with a friend who was/is a huge ABBA fan. She was thrilled. I was blown away by Meryl Streep's singing - not that she was "great", but that she has the guts to go for it. I winced a few times when Pierce Brosnan was singing. I wonder if I would like him more if he hadn't been Robin Williams's competition in Mrs. Doubtfire or if his smug handsomeness would rub me the wrong way anyhow. I love the new trend in musicals (DreamGirls, Across the Universe, Mama Mia) and hope it continues. I want one with Bob Dylan songs.
    When she went to do the vocals for Winner Takes All, Benny Andersson called her a miracle, doing the song in one take. I saw it Thursday or Weds, and I loved it, it was beautiful to look at. I may be a sucker and all, but her Mamma Mia song scene was wonderfully funny.
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

Of course, it wasn't Meryl Streep's first time singing in a movie. I was impressed by her vocals in A Prairie Home Companion. She's not really a Broadway singer like Glenn Close, but she's not bad.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

MRD

I heard terrible reviews for this and one of the reviewers likened Pierce Brosnon's singing to that of an injured water buffalo.

The musical is coming here this fall. I think I'd rather go see the stage production.

Streep actually started her career on stage in musicals, so before the movies, she was a singer of sorts apparantly.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

You know it's funny but thats the same critique I'm reading everywhere....the wish that Pierce had been a better singer. Another is that there is too much singing? Huh? Its a musical. Overall the critiques panned it rather mercilessly but the viewing public have really enjoyed it. I've read that the scenery is breath taking, I'm looking forward to renting it. Movies being so expensive and all, I'd rather wait till it comes out for rental.

MRD

It's been my experience that if the critics hate it, I like it and if they like it, I hate it.

But still I'd prefer to see the stage production first.

I would love to see the scenary. I spent some time in Greece and the Greek isles and they are breathtaking.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast