+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wall-E (2008 Pixar flick)

Wall-E (2008 Pixar flick)

Maybe it was my high hopes for this movie (I love all Pixar flicks and heard this one had received great reviews), but I came out of the theater somewhat disappointed. The graphics are FANTASTIC (of course) but the story seemed to drag a bit. I'm usually impressed at how the writers can neatly tie in a profound message into their stories, but this one was a bit forced (imo). There are some great chuckles and its amazing how they can convey emotion and communication through voiceless robots....but unless you're a diehard Pixar fan, I'd wait until it comes out for rent to see this one.
    Don't let the small things sweat

Re: Wall-E (2008 Pixar flick)

Thanks Spoose! I'm a die-hard Pixar fan.. I um mean my 8 yr old is. I think we'll wait until it comes to the second run theater to catch this one.

That scene of Wall-E with the bra on his 'optical sensors' makes my kid split a gut every time.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

I thought this movie was excellent. I think it definitely lived up to the high standard of Pixar movies. I also liked the fact that it was able to tell the story with very little dialogue throughout the whole movie. It's definitely one of the best movies released so far this year. I think I see another Best Animated Picture for Pixar....

I think this might end up being a movie adults either hate or love. The graphics were great, the usual high Pixar standard. I liked the minimum dialogue in the beginning. Film is a visual medium and the producers and directors really take advantage of this. Were the laughs predictable? Yes. But everyone in the theatre was laughing. Was the message heavy handed? Oh, yes hits you in the face. In fact there are several distinct messages. The idea that the president of the country/Planet Earth is actually the CEO of BnL makes an interesting point that consumerism is our way of life and God. We are destroying the planet through our rampart consumerism that is programmed into us by the big corporations. Even though we are attempting to clean up the planet I noticed that on the ship they were still throwing garbage out instead of recycling it. Then there is the entire idea of childhood obseity linked to total vid/internet addiction.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;3088925;
    I think this might end up being a movie adults either hate or love. The graphics were great, the usual high Pixar standard. I liked the minimum dialogue in the beginning. Film is a visual medium and the producers and directors really take advantage of this. Were the laughs predictable? Yes. But everyone in the theatre was laughing. Was the message heavy handed? Oh, yes hits you in the face. In fact there are several distinct messages. The idea that the president of the country/Planet Earth is actually the CEO of BnL makes an interesting point that consumerism is our way of life and God. We are destroying the planet through our rampart consumerism that is programmed into us by the big corporations. Even though we are attempting to clean up the planet I noticed that on the ship they were still throwing garbage out instead of recycling it. Then there is the entire idea of childhood obseity linked to total vid/internet addiction.
    The wife of a friend is a personal trainer and took her kids to see the movie and hated it. I can see why because there is a strong connection in the movie with obesity and inactivity and having machines do everything for you and only connecting with others through cell phones or the computer.

Still I liked the messages and it is a very green themed movie and I do think it is a good thing to install that message to kids. Hey it may help save the planet and that is all good.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;3088972;
    The wife of a friend is a personal trainer and took her kids to see the movie and hated it. I can see why because there is a strong connection in the movie with obesity and inactivity and having machines do everything for you and only connecting with others through cell phones or the computer.
    Still I liked the messages and it is a very green themed movie and I do think it is a good thing to install that message to kids. Hey it may help save the planet and that is all good.
    So that seems like a message she would like, no? I'm assuming she is in tune with her husband here...that it would be good health/obesitywise if we got up off our respective duffs and started doing for ourselves...and of course really communicating. So not understanding why she hated it if it showed the consequences of people behaving like slugs. But I haven't seen it yet, so maybe am missing how the message was conveyed.

I really liked the movie, as did my three grandkids, but I felt as if they had wanted to make a deeper movie but dumbed it down for the kids.

I wanted to hate this movie, because I'm not a huge fan of 'cutsie' characters, Pixar or not

But I absolutely loved this movie, very romantic and gave me a feel good and my five year old sat and laughed through the whole thing! I squirmed a little with the obesity in your face relating to TV, but they talked about the gravity issue being the 'root cause', so I let it go.

Adorable, I'll probably buy it (my guess is its for sale by Christmas)
    They serenaded the newest champs in this city of champs, and taunted Kobe Bryant and his Lakers, who drowned in a green-and-white wave for 48 minutes.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;3088925;
    So does this mean there will be NO oil based plastic Wall-E toys mass produced in China and shipped by the boat loads to the USA for our children?

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by PugMum;3095239;
    So does this mean there will be NO oil based plastic Wall-E toys mass produced in China and shipped by the boat loads to the USA for our children?
    good point!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast