+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wall-E (2008 Pixar flick)

FORT Newbie

Re: Wall-E (2008 Pixar flick)

I loved this movie. I saw it twice!

As some of you may know, we were going to take our 5 year old little man to his first movie and it was going to be Kung Fu Panda but then he saw the previews to this and wanted to see this instead. It was rather awesome watching him going through his first movie experience on the big screen. The theater we go to has this big captains seats with the arm rests that go up and they are in groupings of 2, 3, or 4. Really nice. So we chose the 3 seater and he nibbled away at the popcorn till the previews started and his eyes got HUGE and he stayed that way for the first quarter of the movie, not saying a word, and just staring. He started getting bored during the middle and got back into it at the end. Wall-E and Eve are his new favorite characters.

So the adult take on the movie? I HATED the anvil! What anvil.... the message anvil. Could they be more obvious? I prefer subtlety in my movies, I don't need to be smacked over the head with a message.

Example... the world is destroyed and a roach is still living and eating twinkles. Now THAT was funny and subtle.

The movie started out GREAT then it dragged for about an hour (the whole Eve is just sitting there sequence and most of the part when they go to the mother ship) then it got interesting again towards the end. As usual, the graphics were amazing but the story telling was no where near the level of other Pixar movies. I was rather disappointed.

BUT.. my little guy loved his first movie!

This was my oldest's second movie. His first was Kung fu Panda the other day.. And he loved it. My husband loved it as well. My oldest is turning 3 the end of this month.
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;3109828;
    Re the forced servitude message...yeah, the rebellion led by the damaged robots....
    Notice that not all robots were actually "damaged", some just showed independent thought.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by FireangelOne;3121207;
    Notice that not all robots were actually "damaged", some just showed independent thought.
    Sorry, rebellion led by the robots that were in the repair shop... for reprogramming...

Sweetie and I saw this movie yesterday. LOVED, LOVED, LOVED it! It was so easy to fall for Wall-e. And then wait to see if his adoration of Eva would be returned. There are subtle little points made throughout a very cute and funny film. Once again PIXAR has created an amazing little movie that tugs at your heartstrings, makes you think about the future we're headed to, and still leaves you with hope in the end for better things to come. Two thumbs up!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty;3154732;
    Sweetie and I saw this movie yesterday. LOVED, LOVED, LOVED it! It was so easy to fall for Wall-e. And then wait to see if his adoration of Eva would be returned. There are subtle little points made throughout a very cute and funny film. Once again PIXAR has created an amazing little movie that tugs at your heartstrings, makes you think about the future we're headed to, and still leaves you with hope in the end for better things to come. Two thumbs up!
    While I too thought it was a cute little film, if a little predictable. I would by no means call any of their points subtle, you are hit over the head with them, repeatedly. Oooooh, where's the Advil?
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

jmb
    FORT Fogey Word Builder Champion jmb's Avatar

I thought this movie was just okay. The vision of the future was VERY depressing... humans are all morbidly obese and can't even walk... and they don't even talk to each other face to face - just via video phone. Yikes.

I liked Kung Fu Panda, and its message ("there is no magic ingredient") much better.

Quote Originally Posted by jmb;3187416;
    I thought this movie was just okay. The vision of the future was VERY depressing... humans are all morbidly obese and can't even walk... and they don't even talk to each other face to face - just via video phone. Yikes.

I liked Kung Fu Panda, and its message ("there is no magic ingredient") much better.
    Uh, how is that future any different from what is happening currently in our society?
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

jmb
    FORT Fogey Word Builder Champion jmb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;3191007;
    Uh, how is that future any different from what is happening currently in our society?
    Unfortunately, not very different at all. That's part of what makes it so depressing. I sure would not want to be a kid growing up today.
    Last edited by jmb; 09-08-2008 at 01:25 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123