+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wall-E (2008 Pixar flick)

Re: Wall-E (2008 Pixar flick)

Quote Originally Posted by PugMum;3095239;
    So does this mean there will be NO oil based plastic Wall-E toys mass produced in China and shipped by the boat loads to the USA for our children?
    Blame it all on George Lucas, he started it.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

We took the kids to see this on opening night here, which was last friday.

They all loved it, ages 8 1/2, 7 and 4. Hubby thought it moved a little slow, and I worried that the messages, abotu the obesity and taking care of the planet, might be a little too hidden for the kids, I mean they weren't exactly spelled out in so many words, but the kids realyl pikced up on them and were talking about it for days, in fact stil lare.

i think the messages might seemed dumbed down to adults, but they hit right on the money with the kids.
    "That which does not kill us, only makes us stronger"

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by tammommy;3100532;
    We took the kids to see this on opening night here, which was last friday.

They all loved it, ages 8 1/2, 7 and 4. Hubby thought it moved a little slow, and I worried that the messages, abotu the obesity and taking care of the planet, might be a little too hidden for the kids, I mean they weren't exactly spelled out in so many words, but the kids realyl pikced up on them and were talking about it for days, in fact stil lare.

i think the messages might seemed dumbed down to adults, but they hit right on the money with the kids.
    Well, radical change comes "from the root"...start teaching the kids when they are small and who knows what kind of world we may get.

Okay. I'm going to give a full review of this movie.
    This movie was a pure delight. Our adventure began as soon as we got to the theater. Within 30 minutes of finding our seats, the theater was packed and the usher was scrambling to find seats for people, having no choice but to sperate 1 family into 2 rows simply because there were no more seats together.
    The film started with a cartoon short. Something I haven't seen done since "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?"
    Now to the actual film. We open on a seemingly desolate earth several hundred years in the future. We are introduced to WALL-E (Waste Allocation Load Lifter- Earthclass). His only friend at this point is a tiny cricket. Suddenly a new visitor arrives and we meet EVE (Extraterrestrial Vegetation Evaluator). Her job is to search earth for any signs of life and then report back to her ship (The Axiom) with her findings. This is where I will start spoilering for those who haven't seen it yet.
    Click to see Spoiler:
    When WALL-E hands EVE a plant, she is suddenly whisked back to The Axiom with WALL-E in tow. However, when they open EVE up, the plant that she had stored inside is nowhere to be found. We learn that if they can prove that Earth is once again capable of sustaining life, the humans on the Axiom can return to earth and recolonize. But without the proof, they can't return. It is discovered that there are some who, because of a video warning dated 700 years prior, don't want to return to earth.
    WALL-E and EVE in the meantime befriend other bots and with their help (and the help of the captain) fight to have their dreams realized.
    This movie was absolutely fantastic. A great movie for all audiences, young and old. Definitely great for the whole family. I give this 2 huge thumbs up. If I had more thumbs, I'd put those up, too. I recommend this to EVERYONE!!!
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

PWS
    FORT Fogey

A little addendum to the movie review---my take on the friend was that it was a cockroach not a cricket (as in, the only thing that will survive the mess we make of earth is.... plus it seemed to be eating a decades or more old Ho-Ho or Ring Ding...). Maybe that will make you feel a little more positive to the cockroaches in your life?
    We saw it last night also. Almost an empty theater but we went after 8:30pm on the 4th of July, so most people were probably out hoping fireworks would break through the drizzle. My sig. other hates cartoons, but actually suggested seeing this with me (I love them) because of the great reviews. Bad mistake. S.O. doesn't like "unrealistic" movies--never saw LOTR for example. Not interested in Hancock or Batman or.... Anyway, detracted from my experience to have S.O. squirming restlessly (and then falling asleep apparently, so then really didn't know what the heck was happening after awakening), so do NOT think this is a good movie to take a non-cartoon fan to. S.O. does generally like romantic chick flicks like the Jane Austen ones, so had some fun teasing that Wall-E was really a romantic chick flick.
    I did have one little weird quibble... wondering it struck anyone else. The little cleaning robot that is obsessed with the dirt Wall-E tracks in....there was something about its style, the way it sort of folded its arms and bobbed...that reminded me of cartoon stereotypes of Chinese people from long ago...little China dolls...made me kind of uncomfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;3106705;
    plus it seemed to be eating a decades or more old Ho-Ho or Ring Ding...).
    It was a 700-year old Twinkie.

I did have one little weird quibble... wondering it struck anyone else. The little cleaning robot that is obsessed with the dirt Wall-E tracks in....there was something about its style, the way it sort of folded its arms and bobbed...that reminded me of cartoon stereotypes of Chinese people from long ago...little China dolls...made me kind of uncomfortable.
    That's funny; MOP kinda reminded me of those old southern stereotypes of the black house-servant scrubbing the floor on her knees.

If you think about it, the movie also has a deeper message regarding forced servitude.

My husband noticed that everyone let earth get all trashed and then when you looked at the Axiom in the trash shute, we were pretty much doing the same thing out there in space. A sign of things to come?
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Meant to say, if you stay for the credits (which I didn't stay for all of, just some) there's some nice "mosaic" image stuff showing how they rebuild the world.
    I agree, nilesgirl--I would have hoped the space ship had some major recycling effort going--not just tossing giant cubes of junk out into space. I would think it would need to, just to get the elements it needed to keep going for 700 years.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by FireangelOne;3107768;
    It was a 700-year old Twinkie.

That's funny; MOP kinda reminded me of those old southern stereotypes of the black house-servant scrubbing the floor on her knees.

If you think about it, the movie also has a deeper message regarding forced servitude.
    Ah yes, a Twinkie! I've actually never eaten any of those things so can't tell them apart. But I'm sure the preservatives in a Twinkie are enough to keep it fresh and gooey even 700 years later!
    Re the forced servitude message...yeah, the rebellion led by the damaged robots....

I just saw it this morning (cheaper tickets ) with my cousins.

I absolutely loved it. Granted, I'm an avid Pixar fan; have been ever since Toy Story came out. But still, this was a great movie. I loved the message it told. It was "dumbed" down, but Pixar is smart by doing that. It got the message out to everyone.

The last scenes were my most favorite parts. I have to say that the beginning was a little slow, though I still enjoyed it. But I got more into the movie towards the end, when all the action was happening.

Click to see Spoiler:
    I loved how the captain had this sudden change of heart and tried all that he could to get AXIOM back to Earth. The villian (the auto-pilot thing, though it wasn't much of a villain, but that's who WALL-E and co. were fightin against, so you can say he was the villain) was sort of predictable, since with robot-themed movies, some robot will usually always oppose the hero. But I didn't care. It was still a great movie, nonetheless. And I was lol'ing when all the passengers rolled over to the side of the ship. That was great.

Definitely reccommend seeing this.

(By the way, was anyone else disappointed when no preview of the next Pixar movie was shown during the previews in the beginning? There's always a preview that's shown for the upcoming movie.)
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast