+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Camp Rock (Disney Channel Original Movie)

Camp Rock (Disney Channel Original Movie)

Wow.. I was really disappointed in how this movie turned out.

1. The acting wasn't great.
    Demi Lovato (Mitchie) was just alright. Joe Jonas (Shane Grey) was surprisingly good, though. Kevin Jonas (dumb band-mate who wants a birdhouse ) cannot act AT ALL, he has horrible comedic timing. I didn't even laugh when he said that "payback" was 2 words. Nick Jonas & the girl who played Tess were alright, but Tess could've been more biting and abrasive to me. She didn't deliver her lines convincingly enough. When she ran off the stage and cried, I didn't believe her crying.

2. We didn't really get to know the supporting characters.
    Anyone knows anything about the Hasta La Vista crew or Andy, the drummer/bad dancer guy? Or even the other two "mean girls" who followed Tess around everywhere? Or the girl who sang "What It Takes" in the cabin with a whole crew of back-up dancers? I can't even remember their names! In High School Musical at least, we got a good feel of who Chad, Sharpay, Ryan and Kelsie were.

Peggy/Margaret Dupree's song "Here I Am" at the end seemed to come out of nowhere. I hardly saw her character and certainly didn't care that she was having a defining moment. Like, whatever.

Caitlin (the one who used to be friends with Tess) had one of the best parts. Even so, I bet she was onscreen for 10 minutes in total, tops.

3. Lousy plot.
    I didn't care for the plot at all! Shane hears this girl singing but can't even turn around fast enough to see who's playing on the piano? He just stands there, gaping? He remembers the lyrics but doesn't sing it to anyone (other than the Uncle dude) in order to find out who the mystery girl is? Mitchie sung the same song to her cabin-mates, they could've easily told Shane it was her. Noo... he just tells people he's looking for "a girl with a voice" when practically everyone there can sing. Then he gets mad at Mitchie for lying about her Mom, but all is forgiven the moment she sings?

Tess screams at a power cord, pretending it's a snake? Honestly? Even a mean girl wouldn't act that dumb.

Tess tells the Camp Director that Caitlin was the first to throw food, but Caitlin doesn't even mention the fact that Tess provoked her by dumping spaghetti on her? ... ooookay.

I thought the whole "stolen bracelet" thing was done very badly too, like it was just shoved into the script last minute. I didn't see any of the scheming that went into it, the planting of the bracelet - nothing to make me hate Tess or sympathize with Mitchie. What is up with the Disney writers?

4. The best part - the musical numbers.
    These were good. I felt like the stuff in between (oh right, the actual story!) was just filler. I didn't care too much for all the empowerment, this-is-my-moment type songs though. There were so many. "Who Will I Be" at the beginning had the awful lyric "if I want to change the world I can do it anytime". Then at the end "Here I Am" and "This Is Me". That's 3 American Idol crowning songs. Ugghhh.

I'm not surprised it got such good ratings (with the Jonas Brothers in it, there was no way it could not), but I certainly hope they don't have a sequel! I heard that's in the works, though.

I'd love to know what my fellow FORT-ers thought of this movie, if any of you watched it on Disney / ABC (or caught snippets of it as your kids watched it). I confess, I love High School Musical thought this was going to be just as good, but it came nowhere near.
    2003-2008.

Re: Camp Rock (Disney Channel Original Movie)

Hello again Tickety. I watched this with my 8 yr old daughter. She found it riveting but I found the same flaws that you did. The singing scenes were great the rest was just meh. I really hated the Mitchie lying storyline. There was no reason for Tess to be as nasty as she was. I agree that there was too little foreshadowing with the bracelet ( we only see Tess looking at the bracelet saying that Mitchie will never make it to Final Jam) Too many oportunities were overlooked. Like the red-headed musical director - we only saw her introducing the acts at the "Jams"
    This was obviously a slapped-together vehicle for the Jonas Brothers. It had potential. I have seen it about 7 times now since last week. Who knows how many more times I'll have to suffer through it. Luckily I put the soundtrack on kiddo's (knockoff) MP3 player so I don't have to hear it.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

I posted about this movie in the 2008 Must Watch Movies thread so I'll paraphrase. I thought the movie was good when the girls were on and have always been an Alyson Stoner fan (she plays the BFF to Mitchie). All the girls have acting potential, no they didn't do their best work but the script was so god-awful and clearly designed to show off the Jo-Bros that they did the best they could with what they were handed.

About the Jo-Bros...they were AWFUL! Every single time they came on the show it went in the toilet. Those boys cannot act. Disney is pretty good about turning actors into singers (magic of studios and stuff) but they evidently cannot turn a singer into an actor. The worst offender? Was the oldest Jo-Bro who was tasked to play the role of a younger guy so that the middle brother could play the role of the older singer and he could NOT pull it off. He made me cringe every time he came on the screen. The youngest one actually seemed to have some sort of timing and if he hadn't been dragged down having to play parts with the older one? He would have done better. Disney could develop something out of him.

I didn't mind the lying story because it is Disney and it was a morality play since she got in trouble etc etc. The singing was ok but like the rest of you? I thought that HMS was a million times better. This felt like they threw something together to try and recapture the magic that was HMS and failed.

OH...funny story...so we were at the Disney store to get my son something and the guy asked if we wanted to pre-purchase Camp Rock and I told him we saw it. The guy got all proud until I told him that it has won my personal award for worst movie I have ever seen. He STILL tried to sell me the stupid movie....lol....and seemed SHOCKED that we (myself, husband, and 5 year old son) all hated the movie.

Duxxy, Harmony!

Quote Originally Posted by Duxxy;3088405;
    This was obviously a slapped-together vehicle for the Jonas Brothers. It had potential. I have seen it about 7 times now since last week. Who knows how many more times I'll have to suffer through it. Luckily I put the soundtrack on kiddo's (knockoff) MP3 player so I don't have to hear it.
    I agree with you 100%! It was clearly just more hype for the Jo Bros - what with the release of their a new single just a few days ago, and their new album dropping in August. If I'm not wrong, they're having their very own Disney show coming out this October, too. (How terrible, with Kevin Jonas acting!) I read a review of it online - looks like Demi Lovato / "Mitchie" is also releasing an album (her first) this fall. It was just a quick way to garner interest fast, I suppose - and it worked. The celeb gossip site I frequent recently posted news about Vanessa Hudgens (female star of HSM) and these 14-year-olds or so were posting saying stuff like "I'm sooo over Van, Demi Lovato is totally better!" How soon youth move on!

Re: Tess looking at her bracelet. Wow, I really don't think this was good foreshadowing at all! I must've blinked and missed it, or just thought that was Tess' way of "paying homage" to her mother! When Tess stormed into the kitchen and talked about her bracelet being stolen, I thought it was some kind of subplot (I really thought someone else took it to teach Tess a lesson). So I wasn't sure whether Tess had planted it or not! :nono They should've shown more scheming, ala Sharpay/Ryan in HSM. It's funny how much I now realize how good HSM actually was/is, after seeing Camp Rock.

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000;3088707;
    About the Jo-Bros...they were AWFUL! Every single time they came on the show it went in the toilet. Those boys cannot act. Disney is pretty good about turning actors into singers (magic of studios and stuff) but they evidently cannot turn a singer into an actor. The worst offender? Was the oldest Jo-Bro who was tasked to play the role of a younger guy so that the middle brother could play the role of the older singer and he could NOT pull it off. He made me cringe every time he came on the screen. The youngest one actually seemed to have some sort of timing and if he hadn't been dragged down having to play parts with the older one? He would have done better. Disney could develop something out of him.
    Kevin Jonas was the worst by far (he's the oldest one), and Nick was the best (he's the youngest one, and the most popular of the trio). The worst part is they should be fairly decent by now, since they've been filming their very own Disney show (the same one I mentioned above) set for release in October!

Haha, that video store story is hilarious! He should be ashamed for trying to sell this!
    Last edited by Tickety; 07-02-2008 at 09:29 AM.
    2003-2008.

I watched it also, and the first thing I have to say is....

Kevin Jonas SUCKS at acting. Please stick with music.

It was unbearable. His delivery sucked, his lines were just bad, everything was just wrong. The other two on the other hand were pretty good. I think Joe is better than Nick, which is probably why he snagged the lead role.

HSM > CR > HSM2

That's all I gotta say.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

Its Disney TV. Were your expectations REALLY that high?

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Quote Originally Posted by Krom;3111828;
    Its Disney TV. Were your expectations REALLY that high?

I had no expectations, but his acting was just horrendous. And plus, I really liked HSM (I admit that proudly), so I tune into these Disney movies hoping it will be as good as that. Yeah, sadly, none have come close to HSM.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

+ Reply to Thread