+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Happening (2008)

The Happening (2008)

It begins with no clear warning. In a matter of minutes, episodes of strange, chilling deaths erupt in major American cities. For Philadelphia high school science teacher Elliot Moore (Mark Wahlberg) what matters most is finding a way to escape the mysterious and deadly phenomenon. Though he and his wife Alma (Zooey Deschanel) are in the midst of a marital crisis, they hit the road, first by train, then by car, with Elliot's math teacher friend Julian (John Leguizamo) and his 8 year-old daughter Jess (Ashlyn Sanchez), heading for the Pennsylvania farmlands where they hope they'll be out of reach of the grisly, ever-growing attacks. Yet it soon becomes clear that no one - and nowhere - is safe. This terrifying, invisible killer cannot be outrun. It is only when Elliot begins to discover the true nature of what is lurking out there that he discovers a sliver of hope that his fragile family might be able to escape what is happening.

Cast: Mark Wahlberg, Zooey Deschanel, John Leguizamo, Ashlyn Sanchez, Betty Buckley
    Director: M. Night Shyamalan
    Anybody planning on seeing this one? I had planned on it this weekend, but have read a few iffy reviews about it. I'll probably still check it out.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: The Happening (2008)

I do want to see this movie, and I know it's because of the director. Weren't you and I two of the few people who loved The Village, also directed by M. Night Shymalan?? This man's movies have not disappointed me yet!

I read where he is not happy that he is becoming known for his surprise, unusual endings so he wants to try to do something different. I know I love him because of his character development AND his endings! And I love his Hitchcock-like (didn't want to say 'Hitchcockian' ) appearances in his movies. I just hope he doesn't decided to start switching things up everytime he makes a film. He's wonderful just the way he is/was. I won't see it this weekend, so report back if you do go!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I don't know. There are only two of his movies I liked and I don't think he is anywhere near the league of Hitchcock. I read a review that gave more detail about it and that made me not think very highly of it. (If I were to go in detail, do I need to do spoiler tags and if so how do I do that?) I might see it anyway, because even if it is as stupid as it sounds, there are times when I am in the mood for a stupid horror film or I might be surprised and think it is really good.

I don't think he so much does "horror" films as I think he does psychological thrillers. His films mess with your mind and leave you going, "Hmmmm......." And I didn't mean to indicate that he was "near the league" of Hitchcock; he has employed Hitchcock's signature style of appearing, somewhere, in his film in a brief, low key, unassuming role.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Newbie

I'm a huge fan of SIGNS. I think it is one of the most amazing films, from ensemble casting, to dialogue, to individual scenes, the message being concealed within this alien invasion landscape, and finally the execution. I thought it was so brilliantly done, and while I was not a fan of Unbreakable, I did see the spark of his intelligent film composition even then. The Village and Sixth Sense were both interesting too, but after the awful, awful reviews of Lady in the Water I have found myself paying more attention to Rotten Tomatoes than I should. I actually wouldn't go see the film because people hated it so much. Since Rotten Tomatoes compiles reviews from everywhere by all the sources and does an average rating then I am much more inclined to take it into account. Comedies aside, I think anything on there with a 20 rating is frightening. So.........

If someone comes on here and props it up and thinks it is even half as interesting as Signs, then maybe I will check it out.

Hmm. Well, I can't say it was anywhere near as great as Signs or The Village. Yes, I'm one of five people in the world who loved The Village. It wasn't a bad movie, it's just not up to par with his other work, IMO. No surprise ending, no gripping suspense like Signs. Of course, people laughing at Zooey Deschanel's crappy acting probably didn't help the mood.

The plot in a nutshell:
    Click to see Spoiler:
    The plant life of the world feels threatened by the teeming throngs of humans who are trashing the ecosystem. So plants in the northeast take action, releasing a neurotoxin into the air that causes said humans to off themselves with whatever is handy - lawnmowers, guns, jumping from buildings, etc. Once the herds of people have been thinned out, the plants stop releasing the toxins.

Now, I liked the premise, but I think it was introduced too soon. Took all the "WTF is going on?!" out of it that I loved in his other movies.

Thanks for the report! I'll probably still see it, just to see how he handled it all. Hasn't he ever heard of the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality?? I always like to see things for myself rather than totally rely on other folks' critiques....no offense intended. Trying to wait for my son to come home since he likes these types of movies, too. We can be thrilled or disappointed together.

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd;3058237;
    The plot in a nutshell:
    Click to see Spoiler:
    The plant life of the world feels threatened by the teeming throngs of humans who are trashing the ecosystem. So plants in the northeast take action, releasing a neurotoxin into the air that causes said humans to off themselves with whatever is handy - lawnmowers, guns, jumping from buildings, etc. Once the herds of people have been thinned out, the plants stop releasing the toxins.

About time.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;3058315;
    About time.
    I take it you're not on the human's side?

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;3058315;
    About time.

This really got terrible reviews... on the other hand it won't be crowded, and I do like that plot line!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast