+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Kung Fu Panda

Re: Kung Fu Panda

Thanks for the reviews everybody and we will wait till the DVD comes out to rent it (son gets freaked out over loud noises and the fight scenes sound like they may be too loud in a theater). In the movies that my son sees the bad guys explode in a shower of golden sparklies and he doesn't think anything of it so he shouldn't be too phased by death by swirling peach blossoms.

I loved loved loved this movie. "Skidoosh" my husband and I had so much fun with this. Very funny and cute. Great for the whole family.
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

About the swirl of peach blossoms, I went with my girl scout troop, and when that part happened, one of them was saying, "What is that? What's he doing?" Finally, she said:
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Oh, I guess he died. Why didn't he just fall over?

I fully admit I don't do kids' movies too well but I was checking my watch 1/2 hour into this one. To me it was exactly like a 70's kung fu movie in that there is hardly any plot and a LOT of kung fu. Seeing it performed by CG animals kind of kills any of the joy of watching martial arts, because they just top themselves until it's to a ridiculous level. The kids had fun, but I was bored.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

I am going to take my two youngest kids to it this weekend. The two oldest have reached the age where they no longer want the little kids movies, but now they want the stupid teen movies and stuff like that. Luckily they are old enough to go themselves--as long as it isn't R. So I still have to suffer from the kid movies for a little longer. I have avoided it until I can avoid it no more. I did try to tell them it was out of theaters, but unfortunately, they are of the age where they can read and are smart enough to look up the theater times online. So no excuses now.

We took the kids last week. Harmony, I had two six-year-olds with me and they both loved it. It had some dark parts that seemed to have them a little spooked but they were over quickly. I thought the movie was pretty fun, too. Of course, I always loved Kung Fu movies, too.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

I think we are going to take him this weekend after we do our bike ride/zoo morning. A little nervous since he gets spooked easily by loud noises and it should be interesting to see how he takes how loud a theater can be. Hopefully he will be too enthralled by the whole novelty of the experience to get freaked out by the volume.

(Side story....first noticed his over reaction to loud noises when we took him on the "Its a Small World Ride" when he was 2. He must have screamed through the whole thing and you can't get off it! So yeah, that was a fun time for all)... at least we can walk out of the theater if it gets to be too much for him.

Harmony at our movie theater they have something called a Stars and Strollers presentation each week. It's for parents with young children, they lower the volume and I think they leave the lights up at a low setting. It might be something you can check into.

We really liked this movie, there is a lot (A LOT) of kung fu, it's action packed, your little guy will be kept busy.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

OH! I never heard of that, I'm definitely going to look into it. I think it would be perfect for him (and any new movie goer). Thanks for the tip, my husband plans of taking him this Thursday during a matinée. Figured it would be cheaper if they end up having to walk out that way lol.

now I'm smilingmomof4!!!! smilingmomof3's Avatar

Took my 3 kids ages 5, 7 and almost 3 to Kung Fu Panda. They loved it and stayed quiet and engaged. I appreciated the message - "Be yourself and go after your dreams no matter how big". Fun, funny, great characters, an entertaining movie for a rainy afternoon with kids. . . I recommend it! *** Note: older kids might be bored, excellent for the younger ones.
    ***"It is not a lack of love, but a lack of friendship that makes unhappy marriages" - Nietzsche *** "A woman who strives to be equal to a man is lacking in ambition"***

I enjoyed the movie far more than I expected to.

Regarding Master Oogway's departure, just explain to your child that he is a Jedi, like Yoda, who turned into energy and became one with the force.

Also
    Click to see Spoiler:
    when Oogway's staff breaks just as Tai Lung is about to strangle Shifu with it, point out that it was Oogway who broke it by pointing out the cherry blossoms that swirl at that moment.
    That should ease any impact from his departure.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast