+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Kung Fu Panda

Re: Kung Fu Panda

Quote Originally Posted by VeronicaBelle27;3039804;
    My niece's first movie on the big screen was Bee Movie this winter when she was 3, and she got such a kick out of seeing all the people in front of and behind us before the movie started, she was ensuring that they were all there to see the Bee with her! So funny. Both girls are still obsessed with the movie now that we have it on DVD. I have an unnatural LOVE for Disney/Pixar and Dreamworks movies, but even I am so sick of that bee!!!!!!
    "Yellow, black... yellow, black... yellow, black... ah black and yellow... we gotta change it up a little bit."

It was funny the first 10 times my son said that but now 18,000,000,000,000,000 times later? I'm with you on being so sick of that bee!

Just got back from seeing it. It was cute, but in my opinion not for the very young child. It's quite dark and serious at times. There is violence with the Kung Fu stuff and one particularly frightening character. Only one adult humor type comment I could remember, the Panda gets hit in the you know what and says, "ugh, my tenders" lol!

I just saw it as well and loved it!! The animation is incredible (as usual) and the characters (one in particular) just looked so *soft*!!! I agree with karna--it was quite dark at times but most of the fighting scenes were interspersed with humor and the kids in the theatre were laughing through most of the kung fu scenes.

If you can sit through the entire credits, you'll be treated to a short scene and a possible
    Click to see Spoiler:
    spoiler!!
    Don't let the small things sweat

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000;3036378;
    My 5 year old son is BEGGING to see this movie. Every time we go to the store and he sees anything that shows the characters? He will start asking me to rent it and I have to explain...once again...that its not even in the theaters yet so we can't rent it. He's very into Power Rangers and the Transformer cartoons and all he sees is animals doing karate moves and that's so "cool".

If anybody sees it, please let me know if its appropriate for a 5 year old. Thanks!
    Okay..... in my opinion... I would think that if your 5 year old is used to the fighting in Power Rangers and Transformers.. then he shouldn't have a problem with the scenes in this movie. The movie as a whole is so cute, and so funny that I think the darker scenes will get overlooked because they are so short and the mood is quickly lightened. I honestly don't think the fight scenes even compare to some other scenes in other animated movies... as
    Click to see Spoiler:
    there is no "blood and no death by murder. One character does die, but they do it as more of a disappearance as they just fade into the horizon and definitely not a killing.

ClosetRTWatcher.... I feel much differently about your 3 year old. Even if she is used to fighting and fighting movies with her older brothers... I think this is definitely one that you should watch first to gauge whether you think she can do it. She will LOVE the vast majority of the scenes with Po.... but the fighting scenes in the jail might be a bit difficult if she cannot separate cartoon from reality.

Spoose... we stayed late to see the after credits special. I must say... they have a TON of credits after this movie! For everyone, the extra scene is VERY short, but quite cute. VERY short.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;3043999;
    Spoose... we stayed late to see the after credits special. I must say... they have a TON of credits after this movie! For everyone, the extra scene is VERY short, but quite cute. VERY short.

Ahh! Someone else who stayed to the bitter end! It may have been wishful thinking, but did you think
    Click to see Spoiler:
    that the sprouting of the peach tree foreshadows a sequel?? My bf and I were discussing whether or not they left it open for a sequel (I thought they had) then there was the scene with the tree so I felt triumphant but it may have been totally out of context.
    Don't let the small things sweat

Yes, I did.
    Click to see Spoiler:
    I was trying to remember the exact words used in Shifu's conversation with Po about the planting of the seed but I could not. But I do believe the two together would suggest leaving it open for a sequel!

One of the fun previews at the beginning shows that they have made a Madagascar 2!!! It sounds like all of the actors came back for it, although I couldn't quite tell whether that was Jada Pinkett-Smith's voice. I was so excited!
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;3043999;
    ClosetRTWatcher.... I feel much differently about your 3 year old. Even if she is used to fighting and fighting movies with her older brothers... I think this is definitely one that you should watch first to gauge whether you think she can do it. She will LOVE the vast majority of the scenes with Po.... but the fighting scenes in the jail might be a bit difficult if she cannot separate cartoon from reality.
    Thx for the feedback Broadway!!! It sounds like we'll wait for DVD on this one so we can check it out before she does!

Saw it last night and loved it. Good story. Great animation. Altogether a great feel good movie with a follow your dreams message.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Doing a lap before I commit to a location

Hi!

We didn't get to the movies after all, but IMDB has the following (edited) Parent's review:

****Po gets hit in the AREA and he says something crude about it (some people may not get it)

Violence & Gore
    no gore/blood
    lots of martial arts karate

Alcohol/Drugs/Smoking
    none

Frightening/Intense Scenes
    the lion at the end is rough
    death of a secondary character may upset some*****

Thanks for your firsthand thoughts guys, and we'll definitely stay for the tag-scene (at least I will, I love those)

"This sweater is Ralph Lauren, and I have no pants" -- Barry "Bee" Benson
    Could does not mean should

Quote Originally Posted by VeronicaBelle27;3045993;
    Hi!

We didn't get to the movies after all, but IMDB has the following (edited) Parent's review:

****Po gets hit in the AREA and he says something crude about it (some people may not get it)

Violence & Gore
    no gore/blood
    lots of martial arts karate

Alcohol/Drugs/Smoking
    none

Frightening/Intense Scenes
    the lion at the end is rough
    death of a secondary character may upset some*****

Thanks for your firsthand thoughts guys, and we'll definitely stay for the tag-scene (at least I will, I love those)

"This sweater is Ralph Lauren, and I have no pants" -- Barry "Bee" Benson
    1. Ooooh, my tenders. (how anyone can think that is crude is beyond me)

2. the snow leopard..a movie is only as good as its villan else what is the point

3. The Master Turtle ascending (to heaven/paradise) in a swirl of peach blossoms. (some people may not even get that.. so I have no idea that could even upset anyone...It was quiet beautifully done in fact.)
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast