+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Well I'm pretty much shocked that there hasn't been a thread created for Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. Actually, there hasn't even been a thread created for any of the old Indiana Jones flicks (I searched, and I didn't see anything, so if there actually is a thread, then I didn't do a good job searching ). So here's a thread for the new Indiana Jones movie and the movies that preceded Crystal Skull.

I saw it on Friday, and the room was packed. My cousins and I had to wait in a line outside of the theater for an 8:30 pm show (we bought our tickets at around 7:15 pm). The whole waiting-outside-in-a-line process always happens with big movies, but I still hate it. After a long wait, we got into the theater and the movie came on, but unfortunately after waiting for a long time, I was feeling pretty sleepy. Luckily the movie kept me entertained that I didn't doze off (which I actually did during the previous movie I watched, Made of Honor ).

So yeah, I did enjoy the movie, but comparing it to the previous Indi movies, this one was the worst. (And by the way, I'm not putting anything in spoiler tags since the movie is already out, so if you don't want to get spoiled, don't read on.) The whole alien story line was kind of weird to me, even though I did read interviews and knew that the plot was going to be about just that. It's just... different from the previous movies. This one deals with outer space and stuff, and I didn't pay $10.50 for a sci-fi movie. Nonetheless Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was still enjoyable and still packed with action, just a little different than the other movies.

What I loved the most about the movie was realizing that Indi actually has a family. I read interviews and such, so I knew Mutt (Shia LeBeouf) was going to be Indiana's son, but I still gasped in the theater for some reason when Marion told Indi that Mutt is his son. Oh, and I love Karen Allen! I'm so glad they brought her back. It took like, an hour for her to finally appear in the movie, which kind of made me mad, but at least she did.

(The follow paragraph has no spoilers in it, so you can read it if you're trying to avoid spoilers. )

So anyone else catch the movie yet? If you did, post your opinions in here please! I would love to read what others think of the movie. And actually, if you have anything to say about Raiders of the Lost Ark, Temple of Doom, and the Last Crusade, then post it in here also.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

Re: Indiana Jones

Thanks for starting this thread CG...I meant to start one after we came back from the movie and then I got sidetracked!

My son and I actually went to see the 4:00 matinee on Thursday to avoid the crowds...I had bought my tickets on fandango because I was afraid of it being sold out so I can't attest to whether or not there were large massive crowds to see it here! (I'm sure there was!)

I love Indiana Jones movies...while this one was good, I still prefer the original 3. That's not to say that this one was bad or not entertaining..it was, but there was something about the original 3 that captured my attention more. Maybe it has to do with my age when those came out (high school)...I don't know

Shia LeBouf is fantastic in this one...I'm a huge fan of his anyways so I knew I would enjoy him! Harrison Ford still looks awesome and did a helluva job doing his stunts being a 62 (?) year old! Cate Blanchett is such a good actress and continues to impress me with her characters!

I wasn't crazy about the alien theme either...I was OK with the majority of it until the end when the
    Click to see Spoiler:
    spaceship
    appeared....I don't know....I hadn't read any spoilers for this, other than Shia being Indie's son, so maybe that's why I was a little disappointed in that particular theme....

I would recommend others going to see this and I'm sure this will be one we add to our collection....
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

PWS
    FORT Fogey

The theaters are sure counting on this being big. As I posted on the Iron Man thread, my local theater has about 20 sub-theaters, but this Memorial Day weekend they are showing only 4 films...Iron Man got 2 theaters, the other 2 lesser films got one each, and Indiana Jones got all the rest. Don't know how packed they were as I went to Iron Man.
    I'll give it a week or two to cool down and then go see it. I hate being packed in.

We went Saturday night to a large multi-plex that was showing it on three screens. We got there just before 7, but even though we could have gotten into the 7 showing, we opted for the 7:30 one so that we would have our pick of seats. No lines at all, it was only about 1/3 full. Good audience though, mostly adults who cheered and clapped at the right spots.

I enjoyed it, even though I agree that the
    Click to see Spoiler:
    spaceship
    appearing was extremely goofy. It moved slowly in spots as I felt Indy was explaining his thought processes to Mutt instead of just jumping into the action. There were tons of logic holes, but I didn't let them bother me as I was there to be entertained and to reminisce, not to analyze (too much). I put it third on my list of the four movies.

1. Raiders of the Lost Ark
    2. Last Crusade
    3. Crystal Skull
    4. Temple of Doom (I did not like the mysticism in this one; nor the dimwitted girl; Indy and the kid, Short Round, were the only redeeming points.)

I appreciated the references to the earlier three movies, and Star Wars!!! So Dad was afraid of rats, Indy of snakes and Mutt of
    Click to see Spoiler:
    scorpions
    . Glad they all have their own phobias!!!
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

I saw it this afternoon. I really did like it--it wasn't as snappy or quite as fun as Raiders or Last Crusade, but like veejer stated, it is better than Temple of Doom because there was no screaming Kate Capshaw. All of the Indiana Jones movies have a certain amount of required suspension of disbelief--the ark of the covenant being real and able to melt faces off of Nazis, that a heart can be removed and the guy still be alive, that a knight can live in perpetuity by drinking out of the holy grail--so the whole alien thing wasn't that weird for me. (Also, the last scene was, IMHO, much more "believable" than the climax of the first X-Files movie.) Plus, given that the whole series of movies is supposed to be an homage to adventure serials, it would make sense that one set in the 50s would have to do with aliens. It wasn't exactly a perfect Indiana Jones movie (the way I'd make it), but it had the requisite amount of action, chases, quips and whip action. I was also glad Karen Allen was back. And, much to my relief, it didn't have the heavy-handed emotional manipulation that has become too prevalent in Spielberg movies.

I saw this today and I also agree that it does not compare to the originals, Temple of Doom was my favorite in that regard. However, I found the movie itself highly enjoyable and it did live up to my expectations. I love Harrison Ford
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

Really? I loved Willie/Kate Capshaw/Spielburg's wife! My favorite part of Temple of Doom: when Indy (sorry, I've been writing it as "Indi" when I abbreviated "Indiana", but now I realized that it's spelled with a "Y") comes into her room, shirt nearly unbuttoned, to look if an intruder is in her room just like there was in his room. But Willie thinks he's there to make love to her, and when Indy searches the room frantically, all Willie can say, "Be gentle with me! Be gentle with me!"
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

Last night on the History Channel we happened to catch "Indiana Jones and the Ultimate Quest". It deals with REAL archaeologists and how they are the same/different from Indy. Surprisingly, a lot of things are the same. Most of it was quite interesting. I checked and it will rerun:
    • Saturday, May 31 05:00 PM
    • Tuesday, June 10 10:00 AM
    • Tuesday, June 10 04:00 PM

Indiana Jones and the Ultimate Quest

Throughout history there have been legendary artifacts that have captured the imagination of adventurers everywhere. While belief in their existence seems to fly in the face of reason and science, there have been those who have devoted their lives to their discovery. One man has looked for some of these remarkable treasures. He is Indiana Jones--professor of archeology and an adventurer who has uncovered some of the world's greatest mysteries. But Dr. Jones is just a fictitious character and it's widely assumed that the artifacts he searched for were also figments of a writer's imagination. But were they?
    Back to my comments on the latest movie, I was so glad that they'd let Indy and Marion age normally. After all, Mutt is 20-ish. But I really wanted Marion
    Click to see Spoiler:
    to slug
    Indy when she first saw him!!!
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

I saw it over the weekend and, honestly, I was so damn happy to have another Indy movie that I guess I'm not too picky! I loved it. Of course, Raiders is still the best Indy movie, but this one was certainly better than Temple of Doom, which has always been considered the worst of the series. Kate Capshaw was the worst (and I generally like her) with all that screaming. Karen Allen will always be the best Indy heroine.

LOVED seeing Karen Allen again and I thought Shia did a good job. I liked that they gave nods to Sean Connery and to the passing of Denholm Elliott (who played Marcus). I didn't mind the kooky ending to the adventure or the sappy part at the very end. Honestly, when was the last time Lucas didn't give us a slightly sappy ending? I'd argue that his last truly great movie was Empire Strikes Back. Still, I enjoyed having Indy back.

Someone mentioned not liking the wait to get into the movie. I remember waiting in line for over 3 hours to see Temple of Doom. There was only one theater, so we had to wait through 1 1/2 showings of the movie to get in. Ah, the good old days. We're so spoiled now. Yes, I waited that long to see Temple of Doom - I was 15, what did I know? It was still Harrison Ford
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I saw the movie yesterday. The theatre was full. I knew it would be, so I got my ticket on Fandango.

I liked the movie a lot. It was a bit predictable in parts, but I enjoyed it. Loved Karen Allen, Harrison Ford and Shia, the chemistry with the three of them is fantastic. One thing I really liked was that it "looked' like all the other movies, the cinematography was kick arse. I also imagine that the props department had a lot of fun making stuff as well.

All in all, I enjoyed the movie. I would reccomend it to others.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast