+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Iron Man

Iron Man

Just saw it. Wow, I was impressed. Definitely an A movie. While I am a comic fan it is very hard to translate a comic book character on to the screen. I had big doubts seeing that Robert Downey Jr was to play Tony Stark. He is not someone I would have cast. Especially with his spotty lifestyle choices of late and runins with the law and rehab. Downey does an excellent job as Stark. There is a story I didn't expect and character developement also. I am sure that devote fans will moan and groan over the script but for a character that has been around for 40 yrs or so you have to pick and choose. The writers did a brillant job and the special effects did not over whelm the story. A rare and refreshing change. There was interesting banter between Tony and Pepper but thankfully no sex. The villan was unexpected and well done. I would actually go and pay to see this movie again and there are very few I would say that about.

Stay for the spoiler scene at the very end of the credits. It reveals Nick Fury the head of Shield and is a bit of a promo for the Shield movie and the Avengers movie. Again a bit of surprise casting for Nick Fury.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Re: Iron Man

I, too, liked this movie very much! So I ended up seeing it twice, and it was worth it.

About the ending after the credits - the casting of Nick Fury is based on 'Ultimate Nick Fury' which is a reinterpretation of classic Nick Fury.

Well, within minutes of the movie starting, I was enthralled. I could feel myself starting to love it. (By the end of the movie, I was not only obsessed, but I felt myself clapping.) Iron Man draws you in from the beginning and makes you care about the main character, Tony Stark (Downey Jr.). Not only is Robert Downey Jr. incredibly witty in the role right off the bat, but when he first tries to escape his captors in Afghanistan, the audience falls for him. Why? Partly because he's a genius, yes, but mostly because the scene resembles the one where King Kong gets shot by the planes when he's on top of the Empire State Building. There's something fierce about him, but yet you want to hug him and protect him. I have found a deal on the Invincible Iron Man DVD for $6, I am gald with it.

I want to see this because I haven't heard one single bad thing about it, but I'm afraid my expectations are going to be so high that I'll be let down.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Saw this last night while apparently the rest of the world was at Indiana Jones (well, slight exaggeration, but our theater has about 20 sub-theaters and it was only showing 4 films. Iron Man got two theaters, two other films got one theater each, and everything else was IJ). Very enjoyable. I'm sure even more so for those familiar with the comic, which I"m not. I was stunned at the end
    Click to see Spoiler:
    when the hero reveals he's Iron Man to the press...
    is that the way the comic goes? So contrary to the basic rules of superheroes!
    I had a little trouble catching the repartee at the beginning, until I adjusted to the hero's voice. At one point Miss Potts running in her 4 inch heels got to be totally ridiculous, even by comic standards...all the cops behind her had to move slowly, too, in a situation where normally everyone would be sprinting flat out! And if you are a fan, as 2/3 of my audience was, you should definitely sit through all the credits for a brief set up for the sequels.
    Anyway, definitely a fun Saturday night flick.
    ETA--Finally remembered where I'd seen the "good guy", relatively, cop actor before....He's "Christine's" ex on New Adventures of Old Christine (the Elaine from Seinfeld actress).
    Last edited by PWS; 05-25-2008 at 03:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by holly71;3018272;
    I want to see this because I haven't heard one single bad thing about it, but I'm afraid my expectations are going to be so high that I'll be let down.
    I went with no expectations at all not being an Iron Man fan. Also I figured the movie would suck because Robert Downey Jr has had such a troubled history with drugs (and I hadn't enjoyed parts of Marvel Productions previous film; Spidey 3 - beginning fight scenes too fast and too black and couldn't see a thing). I really couldn't believe anyone would put the success of a multi million dollar movie on his shoulders. I was actually expecting this movie to be bad. I also hoped that they did not over CGI special effects it either as that just totally kills a film. If there is no story, if there are no characters that you care about regardless of the special effects the movie sucks. I sorta felt that way about last summer's Transformers movie. Parts were good, some brilliant, the final battle scene incomprehensible to follow earning a C+/B-. So go expecting nothing and hopefully that will put you in the right mindset.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;3021723;
    ETA--Finally remembered where I'd seen the "good guy", relatively, cop actor before....He's "Christine's" ex on New Adventures of Old Christine (the Elaine from Seinfeld actress).
    He's also married to Jennifer Grey.

I loved it too! I'm a huge fan of Robert Downey Jr. and I'm so pleased that he's got a hit and seems to have gotten his life back on track. I've been rooting for him. I thought he did a terrific job and so did the supporting actors. Normally, I thought Gweneth Paltrow did a good job as Pepper and she and RDJ have good chemistry. Jeff Bridges was a terrific baddie too - it's not a role we usually see him play, so I enjoyed it (I'm sure he had fun too!). I'm not a big fan of Terrence Howard as a person (he's made some really arrogant comments about women in the press), but he wasn't in this one enough to sour it for me.

This one has been a pretty big hit. I'd be surprised if they weren't given a green light for at least one more Iron Man movie.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey

I finally made it out to see it this afternoon, and really really enjoyed it. Has Robert Downey Jr always been that hot and I just totally missed out on it, or is that relatively new development?

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;3057295;
    I finally made it out to see it this afternoon, and really really enjoyed it. Has Robert Downey Jr always been that hot and I just totally missed out on it, or is that relatively new development?
    Always hot! One reason, besides his acting skills, that they keep giving him more chances when he gets out of rehab.

LG.

I have to agree, he's always been hot, except when he too drugged up to keep his head out of the toilet. He was hot in Less Than Zero 20+ years ago, hot on Ally McBeal a decade ago, and still hot today.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast