+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Better than I thought.

Better than I thought.

Which movies have you had very low expectations of yet ended up enjoying?

Top of my list would have to be Magnolia.
    We had the DVD for months before we watched it as we both thought it was going to be rubbish but we both really enjoyed it.

Another one would be "Men With Brooms". Canadian comedy is often something of an oxymoron, but this was a funny movie.

Following
    I wasn't sure if I would like it. I was worried that the director might go over the top to be artsy with a black and white film. I thought it was really good. The energy builds slowly and consistantly up to an interesting finish. I was really surprised when it ended at 1 hour 7 minutes, but the shortness didn't ruin my enjoyment.
    Im haunted a little this evening by feelings that have no vocabulary and events that should be explained in dimensions of lint rather than words.
    -Richard Brautigan

My hubby wanted to see the movie October Sky when it first came out in the theater. I was not interested. So...we waited until it was out on video. He bought the tape right off and I was annoyed. We watched it and it is one of my favorite movies. I would watch this one again and again.

I totally agree Feifer! I love that movie. I figured I probably would though, it's got all the elements of a great movie.
    Im haunted a little this evening by feelings that have no vocabulary and events that should be explained in dimensions of lint rather than words.
    -Richard Brautigan

The Full Monty
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

This may sound like a weird choice to some/most of you for this thread, but I'd say The Lord of the Rings. I'm usually not into the whole fantasy(?) genre of movies, so when my partner Joey bought it (he does like that kind of stuff), I was kinda indifferent about it. But, I sat down to watch it with him, and I loved it!

Another one that would probably fit into this category for me would be Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. We bought the DVD because we wanted to see what all the fuss was about, and we ended up really liking it...

I liked CTHD too! And I almost always hated subtitled movies.

Orange County. Thought it would be incredibly stupid, but pleasantly surprised.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

Hearts in Atlantis- after reading the book i thought the movie would suck even though i wanted to see it, i was suprised how good it was.

Remember the Titians- Wanted to see it because of Will Patton but thought it would be boring and suck again I was pleasently suprised.
    ~There is no greater gift than the gift of life. Become a donor today!~

+ Reply to Thread