+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How much do you pay for movies?

Re: How much do you pay for movies?

Once you buy a couple tickets and food you could be out $20+ dollars. For me, that's too precious for a movie.
    Yup, with donuts!!

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd;2765540;
    $7.50 here, matinees are 5 bucks. Second run movies are 99 cents before 6 pm, $1.99 after.

And I sneak my food in. I'm not paying ten bucks for a damn tub of popcorn.
    I sneak my candy and water in, but I do buy the popcorn on-site. I know that the concession stand is how the theatres make their profit and I really want the one in our neighbourhood to remain operational, so I like to do my part to keep them going. Since Mr. Rattus doesn't eat the popcorn and it would cost $10 for both of us to take transit to a theatre downtown and back, it's actually a saving to me.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

That's nice of you Rattus. We have 4 theaters in our town and they are large ones so I don't usually feel bad about bringing in my own food anymore if we go. I do try to go to the "dollar" theater even though it isn't a dollar it's 3. They play movies that were out a while ago but not on DVD yet.
    Yup, with donuts!!

$10.50 for the movie. $3.00 for a bottle of water. In Northern Virginia, Washington DC Metro area.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Except on rare occasions, I have stopped going to the movie theater for three reasons: 1) The volume is almost always too loud, 2) I want to hear the movie, not the conversation of people in the audience, and 3) the price.

Regarding price, when I was a kid, a movie cost anyway from a quarter to a dollar, the dollar price being for theaters like Radio City Music Hall or the Roxy where you got a stage show as well.

For that admission price, you could stay all day and night if you wanted to see the movies more than once. It was all continuous performance, you could come in any time and leave whenever you chose.

What you got to see for your quarter or 50 cents, was the main feature, a B feature, a short subject, a cartoon, coming attractions, and a newsreel. What you did not get was commercials. If I got all that at today's prices, I would probably go to the movies a little more often. Instead I rent/buy DVDs.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Depending on the theater, I pay $5-$6.50 for matinee and $7-$9 for evening. The $9.00 theater is in the rich, snobby area--I suppose they think they'll keep riff-raff out. I know it doesn't sound like a lot for those in New York, but in the area I live, that is considered expensive for a movie. As for concessions, I am not a big popcorn person, but I sneak all food in. The one time I was running late and didn't have time to stop at the store, I ended up paying $4 for a 20 ounce bottle of Dasani water. I won't pay those prices. I also usually bring a Starbucks in. The kiddies at the counter only put up a fuss if the managers are around. I tell them that they don't have coffee and I don't drink soda, so I'm going to bring it in. I do carefully put the coffee in my bag if I spot a manager so they won't get in trouble, but usually I blatantly stroll in with a coffee in hand.

The theater I go to has a Starbucks counter and the prices are the same as they are at other Starbucks.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

MRD

We pay $6 for a matinee, I won't go at night and I sneak in everything but popcorn. But we also have a movie rewards card, so with about every 5th or 6th ticket, we do get a free popcorn.

I just think its outrageous to pay $5 for a coke. I can go to a bar and get a margarita for THAT price.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

$9 for an evening showing here but we still have the Drive-In . $6.50 for two first-run movies back-to-back. And you can fill your cooler up with nice goodies to eat and drink.

We have a drive in less than a mile from me. I love it. $5.50 and my kid is still free until next year. Plus, like you said, you can bring in your own food.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast