+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Jane Austen Book Club

The Jane Austen Book Club

Tagline: You don't have to know the books to be in the club.

Plot Outline:Six Californians start a club to discuss the works of Jane Austen, only to find their relationships -- both old and new -- begin to resemble 21st century versions of her novels.

The Jane Austen Book Club (2007)

I just saw this movie and loved it. A definite chick flick, I recommend it to all of my fellow Austen lovers.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Re: The Jane Austen Book Club

I loved it too, Duxxy! I actually enjoyed it more than the book, probably because I expected the book to be more about Austen than it is. I'll be buying this one on DVD after the next payday
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Saw this on a very, very long plane flight...saw the last half first, then the first half so I'm sure I missed a lot of points, but it was very enjoyable even so.

I finally went out and bought this one and loved it just as much the second time. The only real beef I have is that it wasn't shot in Sacramento, even though they make a point of saying they're in Sac. I watched some of the extras on the DVD and, at one point, they're talking about a scene when they all go to the beach and the costume person says that the scene was supposed to be at "a Sacramento beach" but they shot it somewhere else. Yes, that would be because the only "beach" in Sacramento is along the RIVER, you moron! The credits showed that they filmed a lot of the movie in Long Beach, which is about 400 miles south of here. One of the characters is supposed to live 20 miles north of the city, which would put him in the middle of a rice paddy or some other farmland. These are things that wouldn't bother anyone else, probably, but it was distracting for me since I live in Sac.

The director made some other changes to the characters to help the story, so I don't understand why she didn't just change the location as well. Moving the story to Thousand Oaks or some other SoCal suburb would have been easy and then the locations would have "matched."

Otherwise though, very enjoyable
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread