+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the stupidest movie you've ever seen?

MRD

Re: What is the stupidest movie you've ever seen?

Quote Originally Posted by MsFroggy;2784354;
    Absolutely agree about The Notebook and Message in a Bottle. What a load of excruciatingly sappy, manipulative crap! I think I lost a few IQ points by the halfway point of The Notebook. Why, oh, why did I watch it till the end? I must have been in a masochistic mood. All of Nicholas Sparks' books qualify as no more than emotional blackmail for money, and are not worth the paper they're printed on, IMO.

Waterworld. Eh. It was dumb but somehow watchable in its dumbness.

Now, Anaconda is truly a crime against cinematography. Basically anything with JLo in it except maybe Out of Sight is horrible.

War of the Worlds... there are no words how demented that movie was. Dormant prehistoric flesh eating robots with very long tentacles rise out from under the pavement to snack on hapless humans. World is saved by 5'4" "hero".

I never finished Waterworld, War of the worlds and didn't even attempt Anaconda. I have a "dumbness" radar that seems to go off when I see trailers. Fortunatley for me because I think I've avoided a lot of truly awful movies that way. Too bad I can't avoid all of them.

I do however TOTALLY agree with you about Nicholas Sparks books and movies. I never speak up because EVERYONE just "LOVES" him. Ugh, I have read The Notebook and wouldn't go back for more or watch the movies. Thank you for having the courage to say that so I could agree.

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2783921;
    Lots of guys love Jim Carrey...and I've never understood it. I figured that that is not a good sign for females.
    Lots of guys like the Three Stooges too and I can't figure that one out either.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by Missyboxers;2788014;
    My mom hated it every bit as much as I did, and to this day, refuses to see anything with Jim Carrey.
    That's too bad. I absolutely hated him in "slapstick" roles, but I think he is incredibly talented in more serious work. The Truman Show, The Majestic, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, and A Series of Unfortunate Events come to mind as movies that I liked him in.
    Last edited by ClosetRTWatcher; 02-11-2008 at 02:18 PM. Reason: typo

Truman Show was great, but when I see he is in a movie I tend to avoid. It took me a year and serious pestering by my sister to even watch The Truman Show. My daughter wants to see Horton Hears a Who, and Jim Carey is the voice of Horton. I don't think I will be able to do it.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

Maybe we should chug on over to namby pamby land where we can find some self confidence for you, you jackwagon!

Quote Originally Posted by dagwood;2790320;
    My daughter wants to see Horton Hears a Who, and Jim Carey is the voice of Horton. I don't think I will be able to do it.
    I don't blame you on that one. I have been appalled at the movie versions of Dr. Suess stories. I thought both The Grinch and The Cat in the Hat were full of extremely inappropriate innuendo. Appealing to an adult audience is great, but it doesn't mean you need to fill a movie for young kids with those kind of jokes. They need to take a lesson from the Shrek movies.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by dagwood;2790320;
    Truman Show was great, but when I see he is in a movie I tend to avoid. It took me a year and serious pestering by my sister to even watch The Truman Show. My daughter wants to see Horton Hears a Who, and Jim Carey is the voice of Horton. I don't think I will be able to do it.
    I have never been a Dr. Suess fan. It kind of scared me as a child and so I have never really liked much Dr. Suess. Well Green Eggs and Ham and One Fish, Two Fish were about the only books I liked.

But the Grinch and Horton were cartoons on tv when I was a kid and those really disturbed me for some reason.

So when Jim Carrey made the Grinch movie, I knew I would NOT see it at all because I don't like him and I really dont' like the Grinch. 2 whammies for me on that one and also the upcoming Horton one as well.

I didn't see Cat in the Hat either. And the 2 times I've been to Universal Studios in Orlando, I won't go on that ride either. I don't even like Suessland or whatever its called there.

I'm a guy, and I'm not a fan of Jim Carrey. I really don't get the attraction there. Acting like a jackass =! acting. Almost as a case in point, however, I did like Truman Show and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

Oh, and I thought of another masterpiece:

Battlefield Earth, a Saga of the Year 3000.

I probably just have too many thetans to enjoy that movie.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2790429;
    But the Grinch and Horton were cartoons on tv when I was a kid and those really disturbed me for some reason.
    Horton disturbs me, too. Partly because it was on the Grinch DVD and I saw it a million times when my daughter was going through her Grinch (the cartoon version) phase. Also, I may be reading too much into it, but it seemed way too political. Horton was being persecuted because he was speaking his mind. The monkeys (or whatever the hell they were) that the kangaroo sent after him to get the flower seemed very KGBish.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

Maybe we should chug on over to namby pamby land where we can find some self confidence for you, you jackwagon!

Quote Originally Posted by dagwood;2790487;
    ...Also, I may be reading too much into it, but it seemed way too political. Horton was being persecuted because he was speaking his mind.
    I don't know. Although I don't remember the Horton story, one of my fav Dr. Suess books as a kid was The Lorax. When I picked it up again as an adult to read to my kids I was really surprised at the strong (and sad) environmental message it sent. Dr. Suess was politically ahead of his time when he wrote that one (and it is still my fav)!

Sorry, so far off topic...
    Last edited by ClosetRTWatcher; 02-12-2008 at 02:11 PM. Reason: typo

MRD

You know Dr. Suess got his start drawing political cartoons during WWII, so there may be some political influences in some of his books.

Stupidest Movie EVER:

Blue Lagoon

I was channel surfing the other day and this was on and I remembered seeing it when it first came out and thinking it was awful and the memory of it 28 years later is still that it was horrible and stupid.

Lulu on the Bridge... don't be tempted by Harvey Keitel. Stupidest. Movie. Ever.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread