+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Water Horse: Legend of the Deep

The Water Horse: Legend of the Deep

Angus, a young Scottish boy, finds an enchanted egg. Taking it home, he soon finds himself face-to-face with an amazing creature: the mythical "water horse" of Scottish lore. Angus begins a journey of discovery, facing his greatest fears and risking his life to protect a secret that would give birth to a legend.

Jordan and I went to see this movie tonight and I must admit that it is surprisingly wonderful! They do a very good job of not making this as cheesy and schmaltzy as ET managed to be in spots. Instead, it is just a wonderful tale of a young boy whose father has gone off to war, leaving him very depressed and with a great deal of responsibility. He finds this odd, light, egg-like rock while at an excursion to the shore with his mother. Only upon arriving home and cracking it open does he find it to be more... just what he doesn't know until a short time later.

They do a great job with the special effects and the animated face on this little creature. Kids will want one as a pet.

In the meantime... their mansion is overtaken by the Scottish army who is bound and determined to protect the Scottish lochs from the Germans during WWII (was there any real danger there? I must re-read my world history.) In their earnest and arrogant efforts, they set up a net to capture/prevent submarines from entering the loch. Perhaps you see where I'm going with this one? Yep...

Just a warning.... some scenes towards the end will get pretty scary for a young, young child. Said Scottish army doods attempt to kill the little water horse (Caruso) and shoot cannonballs into the water. This will lead to the kids being very sad for Caruso, and very scared by the anger that Caruso exhibits. Jordan is 7 and a pretty sensitive boy and there was a point where he was starting to cry (because he was sad, not scared), but that scary point doesn't last long. It has a very touching ending that makes everything okay.

This is a wonderful, wonderful movie. I can't recommend it enough for those of you with kids.
    Last edited by Broadway; 12-29-2007 at 11:45 PM.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Re: The Water Horse: Legend of the Deep

Saw it on the 27th with 2 kids and a parent. The kids loved it. (ages 10 and 11) I was not that impressed. It was OK. I really expected more.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

+ Reply to Thread