+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Juno

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Re: Juno

It clearly didn't glorify teen pregnancy...everyone talked about her (not in a nice way), people steered clear of her, and as she said to her boyfriend, you are the only one who looks at my face, not my belly. The ultrasound tech was nasty, she apparently missed her prom, and the whole ending made it clear it is hard to plan what to do, life changes. What it did do was open up the idea of adoption, an issue that's really dropped off the radar screen during the whole abortion debate. And it was clear that Juno was clear from the start that she was in no way ready to raise a baby.

I saw this on Saturday and I thought the movie was brilliant. Great acting, great script and loved the music they set the movie to.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

Looking for a way out Bubba-Jo-Lyn's Avatar

I went to the movie on Saturday too. Totally loved it. My only complaint was that it wasn't long enough. I would have loved to see much more of Juno's experiences. Good movie.
    Remember: Mentioning Jesus in your speech: small government. Doing what Jesus asked: big government - Stephen Colbert

Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out. But I can usually shut the b*tch up with cookies. (Unknown)

i love the movie and now ive learned to love orange tic tacs as well
    Last edited by erikko; 02-21-2008 at 09:26 AM.

Looking for a way out Bubba-Jo-Lyn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by erikko;2805229;
    i love the movie and now ive learned to love orange tic tacs as well
    I must confess, I so want some orangey goodness too. Michael Cera is a gift. I love him so much.
    Remember: Mentioning Jesus in your speech: small government. Doing what Jesus asked: big government - Stephen Colbert

Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out. But I can usually shut the b*tch up with cookies. (Unknown)

Ya, when she filled his mailbox full of tic-tacs...it was just so cute! I usually don't like Jennifer Garner, but I really liked her in this film. Ellen Page was awesome and I thought Bleeker was so cute! Great film!

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    Benjamin Franklin.

i just get used on Jennifer Garner being a toughie

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl;2760387;
    The only character that rang true to life was Jason Bateman's and he was obviously vilified; Jennifer Garner's character creeped me out more with her pathological need to be a mother.
    I finally saw this movie and I really enjoyed it. I'm surprised no one else said it...but Ellen Page and Jennifer Garner look like they could be related -- like they're cousins or sisters!

I didn't think Jason Bateman rang true to life and in a way, I thought it was Jennifer Garner's character that was villified/made fun of more--for her Type A-ness and her desire for order in a world where you can't always plan order. Mark and Juno often made fun of Vanessa and would "play" while she was away working. Clearly he wasn't ready to be a father...and yet he played along with Vanessa on adopting until he realized it was going to happen. They'd been trying to have a baby for 5 years...and that could've been the time for him to say, "Look, let's just be married and not worry about a baby for a year or so." But apparently he just went along with what his wife wanted... Vanessa wasn't married to a man, she was married to a boy trapped in a man's body who didn't want to deal with being an adult. I found him to be extremely annoying and creepy in the way he behaved with Juno. It was obvious she had a little crush on him. But his job as an adult was to NOT encourage it, even if he was flatttered by the attention.

About Vanessa's pathological need to be a mother being creepy...you know, having been in the character's shoes (Vanessa's, not Juno's), I can relate to her. I know what it's like when that baby quest consumes your life...but watching Vanessa at the mall with that little girl, you could see that she wasn't creepy or uptight all the time. She just wanted to be a mom. It's been a while since I lost my baby, but when the ultrasound technician showed Juno's ultrasound, I got a huge knot in my stomach and my heart skipped a beat and I was SAD 'cause I remembered seeing my baby's ultrasound, too. I think Vanessa is heartbroken and sad over all the disappointments she has had. We saw her in context with people who knew she was adopting (husband/adoption attorney/Juno and dad). I doubt she walked around at her office obsessed about adopting/being unable to give birth. My guess is she put on her happy face and no one knew what was going through that gorgeous head of hers.

I will say that I was hoping Vanessa would channel Syndey Bristow and give Mark a good swift kick in the head...

Also...I liked that Juno picked up on the jock boy making fun of her because he secretly wanted her...the look on his face when she and Bleeker kissed at the end. Perfect!
    Last edited by Lois Lane; 05-25-2008 at 10:26 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234