+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Juno

Re: Juno

My fiance took his teenage daughters to see this movie. Apparently the adults in the theater walked out shaking their heads and talking about how it glorified teenage pregnancy. Did any of you think this?
    Yup, with donuts!!

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;2747378;
    My fiance took his teenage daughters to see this movie. Apparently the adults in the theater walked out shaking their heads and talking about how it glorified teenage pregnancy. Did any of you think this?

To me it seemed to glorify the choice of Adoption and being able to turn an irresponsible screw up into something positive and special.
    "So, what is fame? It's lightening that strikes some people. It's lightening that some people seek." Jewel

FORT Fogey

I did not. It didn't take on the after school special kind of "Don't you dare ever get pregnant, or your life will be ruined and you'll never be anything tone", but it didn't glorify it either.

In truth, I think the story is about relationships between a group of characters -- teen pregnancy is the catalyst for those relationships more than the focus of the film (if that makes any sense). But there are times that we definitely see the difficulties that Juno faces because she's pregnant -- feeling rejected when the father of the baby asks a different girl to prom (she can't go, she's pregnant!) , the comment she makes to him about being special because he's the only one in the school who looks at her face and not her belly, etc. There are other moments that really show the struggles, but I won't go into them because they give some good things away.

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2747536;
    I did not. It didn't take on the after school special kind of "Don't you dare ever get pregnant, or your life will be ruined and you'll never be anything tone", but it didn't glorify it either.
    Surprisingly, I think it actually stopped just short of that, really. With the reaction from her parents, the reaction of all of the kids at school, to Juno's own comments about pregnancy... it really didn't put teenage pregnancy in a good light at all. I'm quite surprised that anyone could possibly make it out to be a glorification of teen pregnancy.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

My fiance probably fell asleep for a lot of the movie. He does that quite often.

He may have only seen a bit of it and made an opinion based on that. But I gotta love him!
    Yup, with donuts!!

Sitting there watching that movie with two teenage daughters could definitely give one a different perspective. He was panicking, I am sure.

I enjoyed this movie very much. Ellen Page was tremendous, as was the actor who played her boyfriend. I really enjoyed Jason Bateman as well, and was surprised to find myself both angry at him and feeling sorry for him at the same time. Loved the ending, and I really really loved Juno's Dad. My husband said that is the kind of Dad he wants to be to our daughters when the are teenagers. We both loved this movie.

my mom wont see it and wont let me see it because she doesn't belive that you should show a happy funny teenager whos pregnant. she says that look at jamie lynn spears and hwo people are making fun of her being pregnant so why should we put money in peoples pockets for making a movie of a dumb teenager. plus our 15 year old cousin got pregnant and now shes 18 with a 3 year old and is sad that she was so dumb when she was younger. shes not going to see the movie either.
    All was well.

Quote Originally Posted by animagus;2753309;
    my mom wont see it and wont let me see it because she doesn't belive that you should show a happy funny teenager whos pregnant.
    Yes, because all pregnant teenagers should be shown as depressed and suicidal?

But seriously, Juno isn't shown as happy and funny. She is sarcastic as hell and in that way she is funny, but I wouldn't say that she is particularly "happy." And the entire movie revolves around the fact that Juno knows immediately that she isn't adult enough to handle raising a child so she makes the decision to give it up for adoption. I'd say that that's a pretty good message to put into the world.

Unfortunately, the fact is that some kids are going to get pregnant. This movie doesn't promote pregnancy, but it does promote responsible thinking in the event of such an occurance. Adoption is a wonderful choice and not one to be ashamed of.

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;2753931;
    And the entire movie revolves around the fact that Juno knows immediately that she isn't adult enough to handle raising a child so she makes the decision to give it up for adoption. I'd say that that's a pretty good message to put into the world.
    Amen to that. A lot of people look at it as "the easy way out". I have been there, done that. I gave up a little girl when I was 19 and it was the hardest thing I have ever had to do, ever. I did it because I knew it was what was best for her. It is nice to see movies that show teenagers can make that kind of difficult decision and think of something other than themselves.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast