+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Peter Jackson to make "The Hobbit"

Re: Peter Jackson to make "The Hobbit"

PS: Anyone else constantly counting the dwarfs to make sure all were there?
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I agree that there is not enough material in the book for three movies and I'd also have preferred two. What I think they might be doing, however, is adding in material so as to bring back some favorite LOTR characters that were not in The Hobbit.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    I agree that there is not enough material in the book for three movies and I'd also have preferred two. What I think they might be doing, however, is adding in material so as to bring back some favorite LOTR characters that were not in The Hobbit.
    There are adding material from the indices and appendices and some from The Simarillion. Also The Hobbit was very light hearted and written for children, the Lord of the Rings was much darker and complicated and written for adults. I have read that the producers are incorporating darker elements from the Lord of the Rings to tie the two stories closer together.

I am a huge Tolkien fan, so was pretty excited to see The Hobbit today. I have the extended boxed set of TLoTR (4 hours per movie!) so I wasn't bothered by how long TH ran. If anything, I felt I got my money's worth which is rare these days with movies.

I love Martin Freeman in Sherlock, and could see so much of his characteristics as Dr. Holmes brought to Bilbo Baggins. What a treat he is to watch. It was so good to see the Shire again, and Gandalf, and hear that opening music.

I can see why they brought in other references from Tolkien's many works, and it certainly is a darker film than book. I'm happy they are bringing in The Witch King of Angmar, as that part of the book always fascinated me. I remember pouring over the maps as a child, wondering about that story, that little snippet of an earlier bad guy who was apparently just about as bad as Sauron. It will be really cool if they show where he lived, in the mountains to the north. It was so long ago that I read the book, so some parts had me asking Mr. Sweetpea if it was an added part or in the original text.

As much as I loved it though, I do kind of agree they could have made it into two perfect movies, not three. It just seems a bit like overkill. But perhaps when all is said and done and I have the box set of this one, I'll be happy watching it over and over again.
    Florimel likes this.

The movie was FANTASTIC! I am thrilled that there are three movies, because that gives me one extra movie to watch lol. I never thought the movie was slow, or filled with silly fluff. Maybe the other two will be slower, who knows. I have a feeling with Mr. Jackson at the helm, that all three movies are going to be wonderful.
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

My pet peeve about the first movie was when the dwarves and Gandalf were running around trying to escape from the goblins that it reminded so strongly of an "Indiana Jones" movie (the second movie) that it really broke my immersion into the film for a bit.

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Doyu Gems Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Two words: Thorin Oakenshield.

I loved it... saw it in 3D, and my only regret is that I couldn't have watched the LOTR's trilogy in 3D as well. Three hours is long, but I found it fairly flew by. I'll admit that there were moments that I found a bit hokey, or done purely for the 3D effect, but I'm so forgiving when it comes to anything LOTR'S, that I was willing to pass it by.

I'm so glad there is 2 more movies to anticipate.. I'm guessing the next one will be about Beorn and Mirkwood and the third will be all about the Mountain and Smaug. Can't wait. I'm definitely going to rewatch the first one as well.

I agree with those who love the casting of Bilbo. He's completely likeable. Also, I noticed my daughter get a smile when Fili and Kili appeared... my guess is she felt those were well cast as well!

As with every time I drive to visit my family over the holidays, I listened to The Hobbit on CD this year. It's 10 disks or roughly an hour, so it takes up a huge chunk of the drive. There are SO many times when Tolkien refers to Gandalf going off to investigate something or that the party stayed somewhere for weeks or makes just a quick mention of an event or a character. Plenty of material there to expand on and Peter Jackson definitely did.

I agree with the posters who said the movie wasn't too long. I wanted more! There were a few little changes I didn't like - how Bilbo actually got the ring (knowing it was Gollum's) and the circumstances of him losing his buttons. I also missed Gandalf's trick with voices in the scene with the trolls. Overall though, considering that I've read the book dozens of times, I'm happy.
    Florimel likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Doyu Gems Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata
    PS: Anyone else constantly counting the dwarfs to make sure all were there?
    No, but I'll probably do that the next time I watch.

Critical, I noticed those differences too, but the only one that really bothered me was how Bilbo got the ring. Inside, I was thinking, "no! he stumbles across it in the dark!" I also believe he puts his hand in his pocket and that is how the ring slips onto his finger (I think). Instead, they did the same little scene as Frodo had in the Fellowship where the ring flies into the air and drops onto his outstretched finger. I think it was to tie Frodo and Bilbo's first experiences with the ring together and, of course, a little nod to the LOTR's movies.

Another little nod to the original Fellowship movie was Gandalf hitting his head off of the chandelier in Frodo's hobbit hole... he can't seem to avoid it. It was very cute.

We saw it a few weeks ago and loved it. I'm a big LOTR and Tolkien fan, and I couldn't be happier with the movie. I can see how the beginning might've dragged for some people, but I felt like it was a welcome home, how have you been?

I read somewhere, and I'm too lazy to go looking for it now, that the third movie was what happens between the Hobbit and the Fellowship of the Ring. So the whole Smaug adventure is concluded in movie two. I hope this is the case. Because I really don't see how it can be stretched out over two more movies. They're there.
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

+ Reply to Thread